Favorite hole on Jordan?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Splorndle, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I will be doing some tourny fishing on Saturday and was wondering about fishing holes there. My favorite is right of the island to the right of the dam. Each on has a serious drop right along beds of grass. That is where I have caught my largest fish. How bout you folks?

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I like where the Haw river comes into jordan....there is a neck down area we start our drift at the island and drift the edge of the river channels...We have caught some nice white cats as well as big channels..

We have caught some cats in the area your speaking of it drops to like 50 plus feet on the right side by the dam...it has produced in the winter but not so good this time of the year.

good luck!

3. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

Just back from the weigh in. FInished 4th in both the big fish and best 5. Caught 45 fish between 2 and 5 lbs. My biggest was 5. Winner was 11lbs, 11oz. Winning best 5 was 27 mine was 23.

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    what kind of cats were caught any blues or flats or were they all channels and whites?????

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

This may be a little late but the islands between bell and farrington bridges have been treating me pretty good lately. Nothing huge, but consistant.

6. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

Interesting question. Out of 700 fish caught all were channels except the winning haul. It consisted of all blues. Kinda made us all go hmmmmmmmmmmm

The channels were biting, nothing else was. We didn't even get any of those little mud cats.

FWIW I was cleaning my boat on SUnday and left a line in the water just for fun. Caught an 7/5oz. That woulda put me in the money. Timing is everything.

7. dunno

dunno New Member

State:
    nc
    I cant believe of the 700 cats caught all were channels. Everytime I go its always white cats. Its usually a 4 to 1 ratio. (4 white to 1 channel)

Maybe Im always fishing the white cat hole.

8. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I didn't see a single white cat at the weigh in. Channels are 75% of what I catch all the time. I rarely catch whites. Blues are generally common. I have no idea why some species bite on different days but that is the pattern on Jordan.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    My catch at Jordan and I fish it allot is about 1 channel for every 10-15 white catfish.....Blues I second that hmmmmmmm I wander where he was fishing to get blues......

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been catching mostly channels then bullheads then whites. I still think that i have caught one small blue there.

11. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

"My catch at Jordan and I fish it allot is about 1 channel for every 10-15 white catfish."

That is amazing. I never catch whites and I fish there about 4 days a week. Anyhow, I am out there constantly and anyone who wants to get on the boat let me know. I am ready for some cool weather day fishing.

12. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    4:1 is generous in my opinion

If it's not too much trouble, how about a few pictures. I have caught a lot of Channels out of that lake but only a few trips were they the majority.

If you aren't catching a lot of Whites on Jordan you are:

a: fishing very shallow
    b: misidentifying them
    c: are in one of the few places they don't live which I have yet to find but then again i'm no expert.

As far as Blues...I'm gonna go ahead and call BS. If someone caught 5 Blues on Jordan they are cheating. Period. They could have at least brought in bigger ones.

Pictures would be great next time.... they would bear out the truth I'm afraid.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What do you consider shallow? I have been fishing in 3-30 foot of water and catching mainly channels and bull heads (brown, yellow and snail). With one that I swear was a small blue.

14. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    1-3 feet in the summer time. Float the bait if you have to. They should break water as soon as you set the hook.

You can catch a white that shallow but it very rare. They like it deeper and so do the other little peckerheads.

I fished the lake before the Stripers and the lake got better once they were introduced (although I do miss the Hybrids which are getting harder to find) and hopefully one day I can say I fished it before all the huge catfish showed up.

15. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I sit here with my wife as I type and the lack of photos is HER FAULT!. I had asked her to bring the camera to the weigh in. She forgot. The kids were fighting etc. etc. . .

Next year I bring the camera.

Side note: It sure would be nice if they would leave my tourny announcement in the NCLakes section where someone will actually see it as opposed to moving it to the tournament section. Nobody looks there.

I bet a lot of folks here would have joined in.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I try to keep one shallow in hopes that a big fish comes through on the prowl, but I seem to always catch a bigger bass (7 pounds biggest at Jordan) instead of a catfish.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am glad to see more guys fishing Jordan. I have seen on here many times that there were no blues are flatheads in Jordan. But, in talking to people on the water, have been told that both spieces are in there. What is your opinion of the possibility of those two species of catfish being in Jordan Lake? I would like to believe I can tell the difference in flathead and a snail are brown bullhead and a white from a channel and blue. So I am curious as to what others think about the possibilites are that they are in the lake. From people that fish Jordan on a regular basis.

18. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    not insulting anyone but the dead give away that a white is a white is the two middle chin barbels will be white.

The whites are actually in the genus Ameiurus with the bullheads. Originally, scientist classified them as being closely related to the channels.

Small whites have the proportions of the bullheads, the silver bluish color of a blue and a tail not as deep as a channel cat. As they get bigger they actually slim down which makes them difficult to identify and are sometimes confused with channels.

Examine the anal fin, white cats have fewer rays in the anal fin (19-23)

The world record (and this may have changed) was a whopping 22lbs.:roll_eyes:

Hope this helps some of the confusion.

19. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hello, laidbck111......ther are blues and flats in jordan...just not alot of them yet.......i ahve posted this before but here it is again.....i have seen flat head caught in a j and j catfish tournament in the late 90's out of the farrington ramp..this is the same tournament that a 20 or 21 lb channel took top honors.......that said i grew up on the haw in alamance co.....locals there fish the haw and the dan river which is just 30 miles away...i know of 2 guys that have put in over 40 flats in the haw and i know of numerous other reports of guys putting in flats in the haw which they bring down from the dan......they are cathing flats in the haw in ala co........eventually they will be in jordan if only a handful are in jordan because they are increasing rapidly in a lamance co...... i know of 1 guy who has put in 30 plus blues into jordan from gaston.around 2001 or 2....also know of another 1 who has......also if you know 1 or two people who are doing this you can bet there are 5 or 10 others......right or wrong its done......remember the flathead population in the cape fear was started with some reports say 7 flatties and some say 11................doesnt take but two to tango.....also they stocked blues in norman(the state) and it took years for fisherman to notice they were catching blues.....i do not doubt anyone who says the caught a blue or flat at jordan,,,,,i have fish the haw since 1969 and i used to fish the haw where it it inudated by jordan and i can say the haw above jordan is chock full of bullheads......too many.....so many that the upper haw doesn have many channel cats.....have to get near jordan to pick up alot more channels......also in the summer at jordan i would not fish deeper than 15 '....the state has done studies and the is not a lot of oxyogen in the deep water..........i fish with a lot of guys who striper fish and they never fish deeper than that for stripers in the summer...also shari bryant a bioligst for ncwrc commision told me years ago that in the summer fish shallow....they dont see any fish deep in the summer....mack

20. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    laidback111..........also i didnt mean to say above that no fish could be caught deeper that 15 ft in the summer.....obivously stripers require more oxyogen that cats but i think also that bullheads can get by with less oxyogen that most fish.SO THEY MAYBE DEEPER...they problay require less than channel cats....MACK