Favorite garden item?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 21, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey great idea with this section.

ok so heres a ? for ya all. whats your absolute favorite item ya grow every year no matter what and ya wouldn't grow a garden if ya couldn't plant it?

my first vote is the pumpkin vine for its blossoms. hands down. my favorite.

2. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Texas chili pequin . .family favorite and been growing over 20 years.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Tomato's everybody in the family likes them.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    tomatoes, green onions and okra.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The two most important items in my garden are the compost bin and the worm bin! It all starts there and makes all possible!

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    maters, okra and jalopeners

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    CORN, Funks G-90 , eat all I can fresh and fill the freezer for later.

8. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i could only grow 1 thing it would be tomaters. just can't get enough in the summer, then their gone for 8 months. just no way to preserve a fresh garden tomato. never could understand why nobody ships them up fresh in the winter. hothouse sucks, and hydro ain't much better.they raise tons of them in florida, then they pick them green and gas them. just don't get it. i'll be starting mine in the house next month, hoping to pick by july 1. thats as early as i have been able to get them here in northern illinois.
    catwacker

9. CharlestonIL

CharlestonIL New Member

State:
    Charleston, Illinois
    My favorite things to grow in my garden are Green Onions, Jalapeno Peppers and Tomatos.
    I just cant wait to get the plants in the ground.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the little cherry tomatoes, last year we had 4 different varitaies. yellow was my favorite.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nothing better than homegrown maters.

12. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Tomato's #1 Then Peppers :love-big:

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    maters - zuccini - catalopes. god i cant wait,seeds are growin in the basement now. muahaha;)

14. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    Tomatoes, (cherry, and beefsteak) corn (the purple variety this year) and the muskmellon. :)

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tomato's for sure. The wife and I put up at least 20 gallons of juice a year. Then there is my salsa. I eat tomato's every day every way in season. I wont eat those card board things in the winter time. If I couldn't have my tomato's I would shrivel up and die, just like a plant with out water!:sad: Notice I didn't say weed! :) lol

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    my alltime #1 favorite is actually a peasant food.

I would not even have a garden if I could not grow Raapini, or brocolli raab, depending who you ask. A hunka that fried up over ham with cheddar on it is the best sammich you could ask for.

Second would be asparagus. I eat a good couple pounds a week while its in season and I wish I had it all year.

My #3 would be eggplant.

Can ya all tell Im a deigo? LOL

My wife's big thing is grape tomatoes, watermelon, and cukes.

This year, after I get my garden set for the above items, Im gonna probably do some peppers, some zucchini, and perhaps some canteloupe and butternut squash.

On a separate bed we're gonna do our leaf-stock: salad greens etc.
    On another bed we're gonna keep our herbs for the year
    Finally, the front of the house will have a strawberry patch again this year and our blueberry and gooseberry bushes ought to have a good year too.

17. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hmmm either tomatoes or peppers.
    favorite tomato variety is carnival, favorite pepper is super cayenne.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Maters is deffinetly #1,

Green onions, radishes, and leaf lettuce, butter bread, then slice them up and make a garden sand. Love em.

19. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I like about everything that comes out of the garden. Sweet corn, all types of pepper and onions and tomatoes would be my favorite.

chris

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tomatos seems to be everyones favorite and I agree.There is only ONE way to eat a Mater and that is to pick it just right and ripe off the vine on a warm summer day.Look at it lovingly but not to long and then just bite into it.Let the juice just run down your chin onto your shirt if you got one on or on to your hairy manlike chest if you have one.(Sorry Girls).;) Then add a little salt and pepper if you can until done.:) OR slice it thick with S&P,place on fresh bread with mayo!VOILA mater samich!!!!!:rolleyes: All the rest of the stuff is good and I make a great sandwhich from cucumbers slices,tomato,fresh spinach,sliced pickle,green pepper rings mild pepper rings,sprouts and low fat turkey or ham slices on pumpernickel bread that is very good and good for you,but a fresh warm tomato right off a vine you grew,still warm from the sun,bursting with juices, come on how many of you are salivating right now?No pun intended SAL.If you are drooling you owe me rep.;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :)