Favorite flathead catfish rig

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fisherman94580, Jan 2, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was wondering what rigs work best for you fishing for flatheads in lakes or large ponds?

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    If your talking about rigs such as the Carolina Rig thenI find it to be about the best way to fish smaller bait.I use a different setup when fishing large shad and skipjacks.I thought it was called the sneaky pete rig but I dunno.

Anyhow I use 2 4/0 aluminium trotline hooks.I tie one on my line then run a stinger about 6 inches or so off the main hook.Putting the first hook in the baitfishes mouth coming out the bottom jaw.The Stinger hook I feed thru the side of the bait leaving only the curved part (with the barb)exposed.This rig has served me well with Flatheads and many saltwater cats mainly Sailcats.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like a Carolina or 3-way rig in heavy current or drifting.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A three way rig, it works for all catfish.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like a carolina rig with a no-roll sinker for most appkications. It does not work best for all. Its a matter of choise.

7. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I like a three-way rig or a basic slip rig. Theslip rigs are realtivly easy to set -up but you have a hard time keeping youyr bait offf the bottom. I like the three way rig because if you tie the leaderto the bauit reel short, and the line to the sinker longer, with some current you can keep your bait off the bottom. I also like slip floats, althoh I'm trying to find a egg sinker that will keep my bait from oving to much. one thnig I've foubnd is that you may have more success with flatheads if you fish your baits nearer to the surface. Just some suggestions, whayever works for you.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc Aaron! if your fishing a pond/lake i would use a slip float and big gills(to keep the small bass from hitting). in shallow water set 1-2 ft under surface. in deep water set 1-2 ft off bottom.

9. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    if you go to the igfa.org webb site and look at page with ways to rig hooks, they show a 2 hook rig that is great for flathead cats.it is also legal to use in cat touraments.
    robin

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use carolina rig, its working for me...

11. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It depends on the bait, if you are using a cork or fishing bottom. On bottom...I personally like to use a snag less/weedless hook. You can make your own if a large enough one can not be bought (I'm sure the library has a few designs). These are really great for worms or perch. I am picky as to where my sinker will be as well. If am I am using cut bait, worm, liver, or crawdad I like for the sinker to be on bottom with bait about 16" above the sinker as to suspend the bait. For perch...I like the opposite as to allow the perch to swim around.