favorite flathead catfish bait and how do u catch it

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loganfrum94, Aug 20, 2009.

1. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hi im new to the boc and website i was just wandering how u catch ur favorite flatty bait and wat it is

2. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i like bluegills,sunfish,perch ect..and bullheads,for gills i catch them with the skins off a weiner with no weight and small hook,berkley makes a bait called crappie nibblets thats works good also i keep a jar in tackle box you never know when you might come across a good gill hole,some people use goldfish.i also like small carp if i can find them//welcome to boc you can learn on hear from these guys in a week what would take years on your own.good luck and good fishing

3. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    My favorite flathead bait is suckers, usually 6" to 9". For me the best way to catch them is with a cast net. Anywhere I use them, I always seem to have good luck. Other good flathead baits that I like to use are creek chubs, bluegill, freshwater drum, and gizzard shad.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Doesnt know if this will help. Caught my 3 small ones, 2 on a Rapala (1-crawdad colored and 1 shad colored) 1 on a glow worm, and my big 30+ was on a 6" Bluegill head

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Logan and welcome to the BOC. I'm partial to live gills and creek chubs for flatties. I use a small hook (crappie) with a piece of worm under a small bobber on an ultra lite fishing holes in small creeks. Some people ust castnets, but it took three people to cut me out when I tried one:smile2::smile2: If I'm fishing current I'll hook my bait thru the lips and in slower water, behind the dorsal fin. Stay safe and hope you stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Larry thank for the post.... we cant use the cast net in CA.... I'm thinking of doing the lip hook, as I mostly do the dorsal fin... idea...

Bayrunner Ray

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use bullhead, green perch and sun perch. I like the bullheads best. I fish them on a floater and hook them shallow behind the dorsal fin and float them over log jam or big rocks.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the most productive i have found is bluegill/sunfish/hybrid what ever you call them, they all work about the same and i like a cast net/hook on RR

9. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Bluegills seem to be the most popular flathead bait here. I like using them too either live or dead and sometimes as cut bait. My biggest (40 lb) was caught on a dead gill but I did catch a 24 lb on shad. I like using the creek chubs as well. My overall favorite bait is usually creek chubs and gills from spring to mid summer then shad from then to fall. The fish really start feeding up hard in the fall for the upcoming winter. You cant go wrong with shad at that time. We use ultra lights to catch the gills and creek chubs, and a cast net for the shad. Take multiple baits live and dead. Dont get set on just one bait, you might be sorry. Hope this helps.:wink:

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use bluegills the most.I catch mine with wax worms on a #10 ex long cricket hook fished under a small slip float.I flatten the barb so dehooking them s easier.:wink:

11. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Now, there you go with that barb thing!:smile2: Just messin' with you man.

12. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Logan, Welcome to the BOC. I use a sabaki rig with each hook tipped with a 1/4 piece of redworm to catch bluegills. I use this around boat ramps and docks. The gills like to hide in the rocks around the ramps. Sometime I'll toss on top of the ramp to keep from getting hung up. I fish SC reservoirs and this works well, but if you fishing rivers this might not work well. Here in upstate SC most of our reservoirs have blueback herring (yeah its originally a saltwaterfish??) in them and there are several local stores that sell live bluebacks. Right now the flatheads here seem to be hitting the blueback heads better than live bluebacks or bream. Anyway I'd have to agree with the guy who said don't always fish with the same thing. The fish change their feeding habits, so vary the type and size of your bait until you develop a solid pattern. Remember patterns will change. Sometimes they change fast like several times a day or night, other times the same pattern will work for a month or more. If it ain't working start changing it, but keep in mind there are times when they just ain't biting. Also remember what works here might not always work there.

13. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I like to use bullhead around here and I hook them thru the lips the bigger cats seem to like them.

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Big fish eat little fish, welcome to the real world.
    I catch sunfish with rod n reel and shad with cast net.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member