Favorite Fishing Hook Type - Take the Poll

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by maddcatter, Mar 13, 2006.

Which type of hook do you like best?

1. Circle

2. Khale

3. "J" style

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I see a lot of discussion of hook types on the site and decided to make a poll on which type you like best.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I voted circles, but I am gonna try Kahles for the first time this year.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I just ordered 50 7/0 khales to give a try this year.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I used to use cicle hooks but found them lacking in the ability to catch the fish that won't run with the bait, so I switched to Kahles and never looked back!!!

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've used them all but I like circles best.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Sure blame it on the hook.LOL

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gamma Octopus can't be beat.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I like Kahles. With Kahles it like using Circle Hooks, that you can set the hook with. :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am slowly being turned to the circle side of the force Luke. I have been fishing with all kinds for years. Usually just the cheapest would do. Last year I picked up a few circles of different sizes. I finally left it alone quite by accident the other day and they worked just as advertised. That goo woulda got my pole if it had not been for the Bee Ready Rod holders. I am being converted!

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Circles and Kahles, I love them both.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OPINION & My Vote is a turned "J" Hook.

1) I believe a hook should be turned for when using live bait so as the point sticks out away from the bait & it will work on cut bait.

2) What JW said about a "Circle" not always working if they will only "Lite Bite"! I'm will give them thar "Circles" on some info that Swampy stated in another post but IF I see that I'ma Missin any fish I willl throw them circles right in the river fast. My opinion is the K.I.S.S. Method o Fishing!! That means to ALWAYS be prepared Not have to change continuously as it leads to mistakes @ 3 AM with no sleep. I am always willing TO IMPROVE BUT FOR THE LIVE OF ME I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW A "CIRCLE" would be better, not sayin that that don't work!!

:0a34:

Vote #2 would be the old "Terrible" (treble) Hook"!! The reason is the "lite bite" that I've been getting 80% of my Flatheads on. The trebles can be placed in the center of a cut bait where the "J" Hooks etc. must be placed on the ends or sides of the cut bait as to leave the hook exposed, not the trebles though!! This way when the Flats only take in a portion of the cut bait in their mouth the hooks barb has a better chance of being inside the Flatheads mouth. If you think I'm BS try it @ home then you will KNOW what I'm taking about. In fact I should be starting fishing with the trebles then IF they are bitting harder change to a "J" Hook and be PREPARED for the worst!!!!! The Treble scare the heck out of me when grabbin them by the mouths to land them is the only reason I don't use them more!

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've found there is a time and place for both kahles and circles. I like kahles for the little channels that peck my bait and the fish that won't run. But when I'm river fishing for blues or flatheads I switch to circles.

13. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I guess it depends on what I am fishing for.If we are talking about cats only then I use Khales on rod and reel.All others ways,jugs,trotlines,limblines and throw lines I prefer J style hooks.I do not like circle hooks.I get a better hook up with Khales on rod and reel,as a matter of fact its 100%.I miss to many fish using circles,but that might be my fault.Just not very many folks fish with 300 yards of line out,and the circles just don't hook up very good.

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'm a big fan of the J style hooks.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I prefer the Kahle hooks. 7/0 the size I use most often when using Bluegill for bait. I go larger, up to 10/0 for larger bait.

16. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I use kahles for channels, J hooks under a float when fishing snags and brushpiles for flatheads, Gamma circles when fishing the holes for flatheads. Hook size depends on what size of bait I am lucky enough to come up with. For me, at least, there is a place for all of them, it depends on what I am fishing for.

17. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i like the offset J style

18. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    I Don't Always Fish The Same Way Or The Same Conditions. I Think Its A Smart Choice To Keep A Variety A Hooks To Fit Your Needs At That Specific Time. Sometimes They Hit Hard And Run, Others They Just Pick It Up And Gradually Swim Away With A Mouthful. So I Couldn't Say That There Is An Ultimate Hook For Me. Besides I Use To Many Bait Combinations To Stay With A Single Type Of Hook.

19. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Switched to circles awhile back and have had improved hook-up success since. Something I have found that works for me.

20. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    That's the way I feel. I get a much better hook up ratio with circles. But, I now have khales to fix the lite bite problem.