Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Favorite fish

2K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  bigdog21 
#1 ·
My attempt to get to know you all better. :)

1. Besides catfish, what is your favorite freshwater fish to:
a. catch
b. to eat (if different from a. )?

2. What is your favorite saltwater fish to:
a. catch
b. to eat (if different from a. )

Mine:
what is your favorite freshwater fish to:
a. catch crappie
b. to eat (if different from a. )? same

What is your favorite saltwater fish to:
a. catch dorado
b. to eat (if different from a. )? California halibut (but I love dorado, too)

#3 ·
I do quite a bit of smallmouth fishing when I'm not chasing flatheads.

As far as saltwater, I absolutely LOVE fishing for big, beach running snook. Love going toe to toe with amber jack also, but if I just had to choose one fish to chase, it would be snook hands down, especially from a bridge or a pier. It's hard to top a 30# snook eating a big ladyfish, then going absolutely ballistic under the pier, while you hold on for dear life trying to keep them away from the pilings, max adrenaline.

As far as eating fish goes, love crappie, walleye,flatheads...tough to even choose. With all that being said, I am too lazy to clean fish and 99.99% of my catches go back in the water.

#8 ·
I honestly don’t have a single favorite fish to catch. I love all of them. Flatheads are my all time favorite fish but I fish for so many species. (All freshwater) that I couldn’t pick one over another.
favorite to eat are bluegills or yellow perch. Most exciting to fight besides cats would have to be sturgeon or perhaps steelhead on the fly rod. Big pike are fun. And I live near what I consider a world class walleye fishery. (We catch several in the 10 pound range every spring. ) Wisconsin has 10,000 miles of trout streams. Way more than I’ll ever wade in this lifetime…..I honestly like everything with fins.

#12 ·
I love carp fishing. They’re cagey and sensitive so it takes skill and finesse to catch them consistently. But once you crack the code they are plentiful and 10-20lb fish are common. Therefore they provide me with my screamin’ drag fix all spring summer and fall!
In the brine I enjoy catching almost anything but big reds put up a heck of a fight in the surf!
I like eating walleye for fresh and pompano are really hard to beat from saltwater. That’s not to say that haddock isn’t wonderful but I don’t get to catch them myself.

#19 ·
I've only tried walleye one time and must not have been that great. Only memory of it is all the little bones the guide left in cleaning it. I say "it" cause one was all I got. But, I'm gonna try them again, supposed to be really good waleye fishing in the Columbia River and every body seems to like eating them. That one I got wasn't much good for fight but guess if they eat good enough that's alright. As a kid on the east coast we got a lot of flounder and really liked them and snapper's. About all I know about ocean fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.