favorite fish hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nitemare_63, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what is the favorite hook out there in the boc. what size and what style of hook????? if you got any pics of the trophy cat then do show..

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use 2 types of hooks.i use 8/0 octopus circles for most of my fishing but when im fishing big fis i go to a 10/0 king kayle.only reason i go so big is cause of the size baits im using.go to my user cp and check out my fish.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gama 8/0 octopus circle for me. :wink:

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have a variety of hooks gamakatsu 8/0 Team catfish 8/0 double action hooks Eagle claw Lazer sharp 7/0 vmc 8/0 gama 6/0 gama kahle 4/0 gama oct 8/0 j ,but I will mostly use the gama 8/0 and team catfish hooks

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the favorite hook of the boc.... gammakatsu 8/0 oct.circle. my favorite 12/0 black and blue. it wont let me post my pic because i already put it somewere else :confused2::confused2::confused2:

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i use 8/0 gamma circle hooks and the 10/0 king kahle hook

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    in my opinion king khale's are the best hook for your money......50 hooks for around $16...........also you can set the hook if you like, or let the rod do the work....

8. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    10/0 king kahle

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Eagle Claw 9/0 full circle for me for Blues. 4/0 to 7/0 for Channel Cats

10. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anybody used the eagle claw stainless octopus 7/0 hooks or the 6/0 or even the 5/0 hooks????? are they are good hook???? im looking at catfishconnections catalog and trying to pick out some hooks and i keep seeing these hooks that have been tempored and how they are 4 times stronger. my question is the eagle claw stainless octopus hooks i talked about is it a good hook a tough hook???? any feedback on using these hooks or and hooks in general thanks

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've been happy using 7/0-10/0 Kahles...:wink: Depends on bait size..

Also, 7/0 Octopus ,,

All, so far, good and strong...

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    8/0 octopus circle and 7/0 sickle

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use a 5-6 Gamakatsu circle hooks, sometimes octopus hooks. The little cats just can't get the bigger hooks in their mouth. When the little ones are biting I just go to a number 4 hook like we used for bullheads.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    4/0 and 8/0 kahle

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    in my openyun a stainless hook is a no no if you hook a fish deep it dont rust out if you release him a c hook dont hook deep very offten but it does hapen from time to time i am a cpr beleaver for most part and wouldent want a fish to suffer from a stainless hook if you cpr your fish rethink the stainless hooks not trying to cram my way down your throte just wanted to give ya some thing to ponder on:wink:

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    My favorite hook is the one that's set in a fishes mouth! HA HA. LOL. I'm in with the Gamma/Team Catfish crowd. Honestly, I gravitated to circle hooks when I started taking all three of my boys out at the same time. I could bait my rods, toss'em out, pay attention to the boys, and not be concerned until the rod starting jerking around.

Now I'm "hooked" on them! :smile2:

I haven't tried the King kahles (big hooks) but I haven't had much luck with the smaller ones from 1/0-4/0, whether I set the hook or let the fish load the rod. :confused2:

When I fished Santee years ago, the guide was using Eagle Claw #42 wide gap hooks, size #2 for stripers, and 4/0 for cats. Very effective, they were almost like using circle hooks. When the striper took the bait, and the rod was loading, you just lifted the rod and started to reel. For the cats, he had us lift the rod out with a sharp jerk to set the hook when the rod started to load. We ended up in more cats than stripers most days, and even with the smaller #2 hook and a couple chunks of herring or a live one on it, we caught cats up to 25lbs on that #2 hook and 15lb line, both flats and blues.

My cheap go to hook is the Eagle Claw #84 in sizes #6-5/0 for everything from bluegills and panfish to the big cats. When there's a family party at one of the houses with a lake, all of the kids in the family want to fish...sometimes upwards of 15-20 kids (adult kids too) will be fishing. With all of the tangles, snags, and break-offs, I'm not going to use my "good" hooks. I've gone through a box of 50 #84's more than once at these gatherings.

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use 3/0 to 5/0 kahle and circles.You want the smallest hook you can get away with because with smaller hooks you get better penetration.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have and do use all differant hooks perferbaly #8-#10 right now its J hooks and circles cause I got a good deal on bulk I prefer the old school J hooks because I am so use too setting the hook but there all good if you are applien them correctly.
    Pictures are in my album but ain't nuttin like some of the fella's round here:wink:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer 9/0 King Kahles for Flatheads.....and 9/0 circles for Blues.:big_smile: