Favorite Doughball Recipes?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catfishrollo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am an avid flathead guy, but also like to tangle with big carp on light tackle. I mainly use sweet corn... What are your favorite recipes on making doughballs for fishing river systems? rollo

2. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    wheaties ,wheatgerm,vanilla,corn or oatmeal,cormeal and honey seem to work well for me

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Not sure if your familiar with " Bolies " but you can get tons of ideas by running a search on them. Also check out European Carp fishing.

-Jim-

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    peanut butter and vanilla... just mix it with flour and dont add water or it will grow nasty s*** on it.

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Bill Felt's (Greateset Grandpa ever!!!) Carp Bait Recipe

In huge pan mix and bring to a boil:

water and 1 can cream of style corn to equal 5 cups
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Premeasure and add:

5 cups yellow corn meal

Stir like crazy until all is mixed - will be hard to stir and will burn easily.

Put in a container and let it get entirely cold before putting a lid on it, or it will get sticky.

Be sure to take extra cornmeal or crushed bran flakes to add if the dough does get sticky.

This is a super secret recipe, so dont show it everyone please.:smile2:

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    my grandpa's from way way back before the dawn of time... probably sometime in the 1920's or 30's... i don't know off the top of my head whats all in it... i do know it has cornmeal in it... i will have to find it and post it

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    also i forgot when my dad would make it when i was little i would eat it when we were fishing :eek:oooh: so i guess it won't kill a guy:tounge_out:

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont think you can beat wheaties.I take a box with me and just grab a big handful and dip it in the water and knead it til I have a big doughball.Pinch off what you need and they are so tough they are hard to cast off.I sometimes put a few balls in turkey livers and let them soak up blood then they are good for catfish and buffalo.

9. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    It seems canned corn really works best in lakes for me after you throw out a couple handfuls for chum and it almost always is a bite in 15 min.:eek:oooh:
    BUT if you are in a river for whatever reason this bait is just GREAT and really easy.
    Take a gallon zip lock, fill it half full with WHOLE WHEAT flour, 1 small jar of creamy peanut butter, and 1 pkg. strawberry jello. Close the top and mix it up till all the peanut butter is gone in the flour. When you get to the river scoop out a handful and put in a corner of the bag and mix up a ball, take it out and mix real well, it will turn into really tuff stuff, I use a small but wide bait hook, I use a carolina rig and leave a bow in the line so when the fish picks up the bait he feels no resistance, very important, and also don't leave your rod or you will LOSE IT.:wink:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a grain bin that loads barges with pellats ...get a good portion of them then ya grind em up into powder mix with jello & wheaties....yer tagging...carolina rig two hooks one with corn the other with these dough balls ...ya best be ready fer some heavey action them carp & buffalo fight hard .....love it there almost as good as a big flatthead:wink:
    I am gettin ready to go get me some pellats to...I have been craving smoked carp something fierce (LOL)get one them 4fters ..gut cut and slabb out ...smoke that bad boy yer in fer a treat if you like fish.& its smoked right......Carp aint trash fish there great eating if ya can deal with the bones & you realey cant beat the fight they produce on the end yer line:wink::cool2:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fergot red jello-dont know why but red werks best!

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My favorite was always strawberry jello, yellow cornmeal and a cup of sugar. Mix it all up and ball it up before freezing. When it freezes the jello really sets up good. You could even make some pre baited treble hooks if you had a mnd too. We used to use it in our river here when the water was up in the spring. You can't use 2 poles with this stuff, if your in a good carp area. throw it right against the bank or even around small grass tufts near the bank. Fun fishing.! I wonder if the silver and asian carp will eat conventional carpbaits??? I know at carlyle dam you can wear yourself out fishing with jigs and catching them.

13. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Kenny,
    Do you fish for them carp right there buy where they load the barges? Or is there better places? Big carp are a lot of fun. Hey, also did you get wet the other day I saw you? :confused2: I hope the river gets this flooding thing out of its system right now- it's time to catch fish!