Favorite Deer Hunting Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Brandon829, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm just curious to find out what is everybodys favorite deer hunting riffle and why?

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Ruger #1 in 280 rem. Always loved the look of the #1's when I was just starting to hunt and when I finally got one it has never let me down. I think shooting a single shot rifle forced me to become a better shot.

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I shoot a Ruger M77 in .264 Win. Mag, that I bought new in 1991 I belive.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a remington model 700 bdl in 30-06 topped with a weaver scope that I use when I am going to be hunting with shots out to 300 yards. If I am hunting in the thick stuff were the shots are 100 yards or less I have a winchester model 94 in 30-30 I inherited from my grandpa that I use. Both guns have never let me down, and they just feel right in my hands.

5. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Kimber 8400 Montana 7mm WSM with Leupold VX7 2.5-10, I sent it to Magnaport and had there Magna Break installed on it. Shoots great and is light.

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I have a couple...

Favorite of all time: Marlin 336 in 30/30. Short, simple, accurate and and fast. Yeah, it's not a 300 yard sniper rifle, but honestly, how many deer have YOU shot at 300 yds or more? :big_smile:

Favorite one that I let go: Ruger #1A in 7x57. All of the great virtues of the Marlin 336 (or Winchester 94) with the extreme classiness of the Ruger single shot rifles, IMO, the FINEST looking factory rifle that there is. I still regret selling it to this day.

Favorite one that I will NEVER sell: Remington 7400 in 30-06. Not even close to the factory gun, I've done several modifications to it, covered in another thread. My girlfriend bought it for me 12 years ago. I thought, DAMN, I should probably marry this chick. So I did! :smile2: It handles great, pretty accurate too. Never fails to bring home the venison as long as I do my part. The way this year is going, I'll be lucky to even get out in the field. No place to go, not much time to travel. Oh well.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ive always used a shotgun here in ohio but if i went out of state id be totin my real sweet mauser k98.:big_smile::cool2:

8. MUDCAT77

MUDCAT77 New Member

State:
    WV
    i use a 338 rem ultra mag . it is flat shooting hard hitting and no tracking it drops them dead

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    My fav is my only deer hunting rifle and will most likely always be my only deer rifle. A Savage 110 30/06, its accurate, cheap/affordable and look at my avatar.:wink:

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Remington .25-06 bolt action with Leupold scope. All ya need.:wink:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've shot a wheatherby 270 for years. I really want a rugar model 1 in 270 but can't afford it.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    My favorite deer hunting gun is the one that goes BOOM just before the deer falls down.

13. fishjunkie

fishjunkie New Member

State:
    montana
    300win mag inter arms with 26 inch bull barrel with leupold scope 3 by9

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    mine is my rem 700 BDL .270 win. Love it ive hit them at long and short range,never had to track one after t was hit,its flat shooting.to me theres no better rifle or cartridge around :wink:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  15. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like Paul I am a fan of the 25-06. Gun number one is a Ruger M77 with the safety on the tang. It's pretty wooden stock like me is showing its age. But it speaks a language that whitetails understand. It worked so well that when my left handed kid wanted to hunt I got him a H&R Ultra Rifle in 25-06. I had an extra barrel in 223 added to the H&R Ultra. The kids shoot this at the range while they are learning.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot my Ruger M77 in 30-06 when I'm in the stand and switch to the Marlin 30-30 when I'm stalking. Both of them have put down a lot of deer. I hunt in bad weather pretty often so I want something I don't have to worry about getting wet or knocked around. These fill the bill.

17. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    300 weatherby mag custom mark v

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Old Remington model 788 in .243 Win

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    toted a rem.30 06 for a while but son talked me out of it.picked my old 30 30 back up and been toting it for several years but monday i stoped at a pawn shop looking for a new gun and i walked out with an h and r in 25 06 caliber.had a bushnel 3x9x40 on it and only cost 280.took it to the range and im shooting one and a half groups with factory ammo.was a little shocked at price of bullets so ive bought ever thing i need to reload my own.gonna try 115 and 120 grain bullets but may have to drop to 100 grain.have to wait and see.any suggestion appreciated.

20. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Shotgun only county here, and i only own 2 rifles. One is a .22LR, so i aint shootin no deer with that. Other is a .50cal traditions pursuit muzzleloader, so i guess the Traditions is my favorite deer rifle.