Favorite Cover Song?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by elphaba7, May 28, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    What's your favorite cover song? Usually, you can't beat the original, but sometimes a band either get's it right, or does it so different, you gotta love it.

I like a version of The Cure's Close to You, done by the Get Up Kids and I like John Denver's Country Roads (imagine that:tounge_out: ) by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

PS, I HATED all the Cure songs redone by 311 in the movie 50 First Dates, and I hated the creeped out version of Imagine (John Lennon) from a year or two ago, but I can't remember the band that did it.

:haha:

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    well...i don't know if it would be considered a cover song but on american idol when chris doughtry sang johnny cashs' I Walk The Line i thought it was awesome

3. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like Slayer's version of 'Inna Godda Da Vida'.

4. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Right now, it's Sheryl Crow's version of The First Cut Is The Deepest.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah what he siad.

6. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Rod Stewart's cover of 'When I Need You' (A #1 hit for Leo Sayer back in 1977)

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of 'Voodoo Chile' by Jimi Hendrix.

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    johnny cash and joe strummer covered bob marley's redemption song and it was awesome. the best cover songs make the song into something completely different. metallica likes to do tons of covers but the only one i think they did that was ok was die die my darling (originally the misfits)

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Nate, I'd like to hear that JC and JS song.

Didn't Metallica do an entire album of Misfits covers?

10. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im not sure if they did a whole album of misfits covers.....i sure hope they didnt because welllll james hetfield doesnt= glenn danzig by a long shot...i think they just got lucky with that one song. but i do know that garage inc has a bunch of covers by the misfits and a few other bands

11. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I'm not a Metallica fan in any way, shape or form, and I agree that not only does James Hetfield not equal Glenn Danzig, but I can't think of anyone at all who could step into his shoes.:roll_eyes:

PS, there was a video going around the internet about two years ago of Danzig getting knocked out by someone from Biohazard.:lol:

12. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i saw it lol danzig got rocked. yea glenn's voice is like a dark elvis...its weird. metallica is OK and just OK. i think they're overrated by a LONGSHOT

13. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I LOVE it I LOVE it...That is a good one. Faith and Tim done an awesome take on that song as well.

I also LOVE Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's Turn the Page. Saw Metallica in New Orleans, awesome band!! WooHoo.
    Martina McBride's version of Tammie Wynette's Till I Can Make It On My Own.

14. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I knew someone out there would agree with me,however,cover songs can be a 2-way street as far as least favorite's.Like back from the sixties one of my favorite song's was 'I Think We're Alone Now 'by Tommy James & the Shondell's.The song barly made the top 10,but 20 years later in the 80's,it was covered by a teeny-bopper named Tiffany who took it to #1

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Has to be Hurt by Johny Cash from nine inch nails

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is a hard question because I like so many covers. The main thing for me is; I don't want to hear an imitation, I want to hear a new groove. anyway, here are a few I like!

1. Eric Clapton & Duane Allman cover of Hendrics, "Little Wing" on Derick & The Domino's
    2. Dread Zeplin's reggea covers of Led Zeplin
    3. Aerosmith cover of "Please don't Go" (Parchment Farm)
    4. I know I'll hear some crap about this: Michael Bolton's cover of percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman". Yea, I admit it, I like Michael Bolton!
    5. Jonny Lang's cover of "A Quitter Never Wins" by Tinsley Ellis.

17. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Turn the Page - Metallice
    Knockin on heavens door - GNR
    Signs - Tesla

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sweet Magnolia by Goose Creek Symphony, written by JJ Cale. :sad2:

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea Rockhound, That's a good one too. There are so many! How about all the great covers of the Robert Johnson classic, Crossroads?