Favorite coon traps and why

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by backwoodsman68geric, Jul 13, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just wanted to get a conversation going in here. Not alot going on. My favorite is the no.11 double longspring foothold, I like all brands. They seem to be plenty strong and they get a low grip. Ive never had a coon chew out of one of them either. I use them most of the time, maybe 97%? Only time I set for coon and dont use one is if its a bad area for theft, then I use cheaper traps, ie: old 1.5 coils etc. Best mink trap going for my money too is the no.11! Been trapping fox's with them too last few years with great success.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I set intentionally for coon,I allways use # coils ,never had any pullouts or chewoffs,course I used to catch about as many in #2s set for coyotes as the #1s when I was trying. got lots of old rouge boar coon running the flats around here.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Back when I trapped I used a 1 1/2 coil spring, or No.2 coil spring. I've caught em in No. 1's but not too reliable.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used Victor #1 1/2 and #2 coil springs for all my VA Coon and Fox traps. I still have a handful of #3's I bought at a yard sale in Missouri for coyote. We are covered up with coyotes in Virginia now. I believe I will have to catch me a few fawn eaters this fall.:wink:

5. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I use mostly 1 1/2" coilsprings for most of my coon. My favorite is a 220 conibears set in buckets if I can get away from dogs.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Little griz work good,. and dog proof, but expense, # 11, 1 coil, &160&220 conibear, good. 1 1/2 will work, and a good gray fox trap.
    JIM

7. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    I havent had alot of luck with the DP traps. Rarely can we set a conibear bucket since we're over ran with feral dogs and cats. The 1 1/2 coils are cheaper then longsprings and we do use them on occasion in high theft/traffic area's. We're over run with yotes too. Did some ADC work in June and sounds like we're going out today to set some more. I use coils almost exclusively for yotes, modified 1 1/2's. Espescialy with ADC work the 1 1/2's are easier on non target catch's. If Im solely chasin yotes during fur season no.1 3/4-2's coils or no.2 longspring are better in my opinion for yotes.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Favorite is the lil grizz. Can be set anywhere without worrying about catching a dog. No chewouts. No pullouts. Super fast set that is extremely deadly on coon.( takes about 15 seconds to set, bait, and stake) These traps have totally changed the way I coon trap.

9. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    I bought a dozen of the bandit busters dog proof traps but aint had much luck with'em. Ive got a few others of different brands I picked up here and there and they all seem about the same setup to me. I still use cage traps around house's, farms etc. If cats are the non target concern I use sweet baits and lures and usually go ahead and set footholds. If its dogs Im kinda stuck cause dogs will come to about anything it seems like.

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer the 220 body trap and use them when I can but also use 1-1/2cs and snares sometimes.

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my go to Favorite is the lil grizz. love them. I got some more in but been waiting for a while now. I was not the only wanting more and was on a back order for some time. I orderd through a friend not sure who he went through to get but aparently they have a common back order status on them. looks like some one out there has got a little job security for a while lol

12. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    For the coons I only use live traps. They are just a lot less hassel. Find a creek, level out a flat spot, set the trap, sprinkle a little corn, ur good to go. Usually don't catch anything the first night cause of the human scent, but by the next night the scent is old and they aren't worried about it to much. Down here in south MS the pelts aren't worth much; we just sell the meat. $10 for a coon or $12 for a skint coon. We usually turn all the small ones, and big sows back loose. Nobody wants to pay that much for a cub, and the sows are next years profits.

13. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    If I was trapping only coon I would use the 11 unless I was making a lot of pockets. I prefer the way coils set in the pocket. Also they are much more effective for taking mink.
    I also like the grizz dog proof. I trapped the river a few days this past year and the dproof worked great. It is highly effective.

14. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I tend to use livetraps for coons more often than anything else. Little bit of peanut butter mixed with rice crispies on a piece of bark thrown in has never failed me. I have used bucket sets with bodygrips with success too.

15. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I catch a lot of coon in snares on the high bank of the river. I prefer the Duke 1.5 coil for footholds because they are dirt cheap and hold up real well. I have some Lil' griz dog proofs I have yet to set but have heard great things about them.

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I mainly set 1.5 modified duke coils for coon and use 1 3/4's sometimes too,snares,bodygrips,and whatnot. they all have their place. I don't use the dogproof type sets too often because I usually enjoy the bonus catches of fox,mink,rats,coyote,etc.. If I do need a dogproof set up like in someones farmyard I use live box traps mostly to avoid pets,feral cats get exterminated whenever and whatever because of the growing nuisance of them running wild and killing game,they don't belong in the wild and should be terminated,but, if near a farm or residence they get a free pass.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

when running water sets i dont use anthing small than a 2 on them they drown long before they get to chew so it dont really matter on that regaurd but on land i perfer the 220 over all others when the water freezes shut you can go den to den and crossover to crossover wipeing them out with the 220 and there dead when you get there fast and effective works the best for me

18. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    back in the day when i trapped i mostly used a duke 1.5 and 220 conibear had a few bigger foots but most of my trapline was duke 1.5's used a few snares but not many