Favorite Channel Bait for Wateree?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Zero, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    What's your favorite channel cat bait on Wateree gentlemen? We soak cut shad, perch, and gills, and don't catch any of the good eating 1.5-3 lb channels I spent my whole life catching from this very spot...almost 100% 6-15 lb blues with a few 3-8 lb channels this year. I know we use big baits but I'd think a 2 lb channel would have no problem eating a chunk of a gizzard on a 1/0 kahle hook.

Have done excellent on shrimp and livers but the livers bust right off every time they hit the water with all the force I put behind them to get them far out... they don't come off til they hit the water...took a few times before I figured out why I kept reeling back an empty hook on only the bigger rods (plenty light to detect a small bite). And let's not mention the price on the "fresh" Thailand shrimp. :wink:

2. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    If you get a few tubs of chicken liver you can catch all the channels you want... Summer time we can use 6 tubs in about 2 hours or less.... Hope this helps ya out some....also fish 15 feet or less....:wink:

3. fbinsley

fbinsley New Member

State:
    south carolina
    get some dental floss and wrap the liver on your hook with it..it works ok but its jinda aggravating.
    an easier way is to get a few tubs of liver and before you go out get some mesh netting (like panty hose) and tie up as many liver balls as you may need..garanteed to stay on the hook then. hope this helps

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...We soak cut shad, perch, and gills...."

Just curious, but what do you soak those baits in? Do you think that naturally occurs in wild?

Just something to think about. :wink:

Eater size fish can be caught drifting on smaller pieces of cut bait. White perch and shad are your best bets, with threadfin working really well for eater size fish.

The eater size fish are numerous and easily patternable. Spend some time finding what depth range the fish are in and you can use that formula on multiple areas of the lake.

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
  6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I think they soak them in Lake Wateree.

7. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Sorry I meant soaking them in the lake waiting on a bite. Kinda like saying drowning some minnows. :wink:

Probably part of my problem is I didn't take any baits after March, we only fished what we netted (gizzards, threadfins, perch) or caught a few bream with beetlespins. Always done good with livers and shrimp, you just don't catch too many big fish on them. Of course we were targeting the bigger fish with a whole bream or a 2" chunk of shad...

I think I'll commit to taking at least 2 baits other than what we net. Gonna try to find a few pounds of fresh SC shrimp and salt them, should last a while. Also gonna take a few tubs of liver. Usually didn't bother with it cause we have to go out of the way to get to the grocery store and I don't like frozen liver.

Thanks guys I think y'all helped me answer my own question.

8. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Do the eater sized channels suspend or do you mostly fish for them on the bottom?

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't fish for channels, i like them Big Blues. Channels will eat just about anything. The little yellow in there meat kinda turns me away:eek:oooh:

10. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what exactly have you soaked your shad etc. in?

11. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I live in WA, and fish 3 big rivers, all I ever catch are channels. I use cut bait (pikeminnows & shad) and have small channels hit a 2/o circle hook all the time. In the spring we catch em both on the bottom & bobber, small ones here seem to prefer nightcrawlers but they do hit shrimp & cut bait as much. I have had very little sucess with livers, but when I have used em I wrop them in cheese cloth, tie em off with "magic string" (get it at walmart-in the plastic tube is better). I wrap em before going out, that way all I have to do is grab em out of the tub and put my hook through em. When I buy my frozen bait shrim I puit em in a tuppeware tub & put 1-2 tubes of Mikes Pink Shrimp oil on em and toss em in the freezer till I got out fishin. I have used Steelhead shrimp bait for cats (they are brined, dyed, & packed on rock salt) & had cats hit em while bobber fishin for steelhead as lat as November this year. Hope this helps.

12. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    The lake. :wink:

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    when the water was flowing up in cedar creek i use to anchor in front of the first big house on the left and use night crawlers. My then 8 yr old son would catch them so fast i would just bait a rod and have one out. I spent all my time taking off and baiting. He enjoyed.

14. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Up here in Ohio I use shad about 99% of the time.When I do use liver,its always fresh chicken liver-never frozen and use sizzors or a a sharp knife to cut your (small) chunk.If you pinch it off it will mush up real fast. It still will only take usually one hit but it will stay on longer if you try this.Good fishing and be safe.