Favorite catfishing rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatfishHateMe, Oct 31, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    whats everyones fav catfishing rigs they use? i use a slipsinker with a 3 way swivle and 2 hooks. i use an old 9' river rod and reel combo that all i can read on it is quantum, all faded and mud covered. and i bought a shakespear tiger 6' closed face(i hate closedface but im short on money :-/) a few years back i use to. both spooled with 22 pound mono. nuthin awesome but im proud when i catch fish on it cuz its nothing that cost me more than 20 bucks :)

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC jayson
    my favorite rig is 7000 abu 7' ugly stick 30# biggame on a drop rig (no swivel)a 9/0 j-hook and a 5oz bank sinker

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Welcome aboard! ALot of good info here. Where at in Indiana? Maybe we could get together sometime and get into some fish on the Ohio.

I usually use a carolina rig with a no roll sinker. I use 7-8 foot Ugly Stiks with Okuma Coronado C90 Reels spooled with 30 pound big game.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Usually rig three rods. My current favorite is an 1120 Ugly Stick Big Water rod with an Abu 6500c3. I've got a 5600c4 I really like mounted on a 7 ft medium heavy All Star rod, and a 6600d5 I'm only slightly agreeble with on a Bass Pro 7 t medium heavy Extreme rod. All there rods are great for handling the big ones, but I'm moving more toward the 1120 Ugly Sticks as I replace the others. Sure wish that All Star would break so I can take it back to Academy and exchange it for an 1120.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think my favorit rod is a 7 foot ugly stick catfish rod with an Abu 6000 on it. I like a carolina rig with 3/0-7/0 regular j-hooks and snagless are no roll sinkers in assorted weights to match my conditions. I have an Ugly Stick Tiger with an Abu 7000 that runs a close second. I have 20 pound Cajun Red Advantage on the 6000 and Hi-Seas High Vis on the 7000.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Forgot to mention how I rig. Mainly, I use the Carolina rig with a 3/4 or 1 oz egg sinker an bead attached to a good swivel and then a 30 lb leader. My line on my smaller baitcasters is 15 lb Big Game, on my 6500, 20 lb big game. I sometimes carry a Sedona 2500 spinning reel with a Shimano rod, 6.5 ft, with medium light action. It currently has 10 lb Big Game, but that may change. In that line wt., I like Trilene XT better.

7. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Anybody have any experience with the Bass Pro Shops CatMaxx series rods and reels? I picked a set up last week out in Vegas, and haven't been out fishing since. Just curious if anyone had any feedback. Feels like a solid rig, but only the fish will tell.

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    YEP i bought on this year and the first cast was great,but i had to take it all apart to get it to reel back in,puts a little damper in your fishing.so i took it back and got a plain jane peen 9m nothing fancy but reliable.

9. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    best rig i have is a ugly stick tiger rod with a okuma catalina,pulls in 25#'s liike nothing.30#SUFFIX elite,no roll sinker and crain swivil

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome aboard, I use Abu 6000 with 20 lb test and a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel with 20 lb test line and MH Rods.
    I use slip float and a three way sinker rig.

11. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Welcome t ode board ,sounds like ui tough tto catch soem whopper ctafsih , if tah t's whcha fishin for!!

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Erik welcome again, dont have a cat max reel myself but my uncle took a brand new one to the river with us and it lasted 2 cast before it messed up, cant remember what it was that went wrong with it, he sent it back and got a new one but hasnt used yet, i do have a 11' bait casting mod. but to me seams a little stiff for live bait dont use it much to tell you how it works

my favorite rods are 7' ugly (stik)cat w/ a abu 6500c3 on it for the channels and 7' med/hev ugly stik tiger with abu 7000 big game on it for the the flats, use maxima ultragreen on all my reels, when i can get it, to me buy far the best mono u can get, its soft smooth and strong and i meen strong. as far as the set up goes 2oz flat no roll slip sinker in front of a 4/0 swivel 18' leeder w/ an 8/0 gami std octapus for the flat and for the channels just used the looper rig for the first time i yhink it will be the only thing i use for the dip bait, also like 5/0 bait holder j hook for smaller cut baits like shrimp

13. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I use an 8ft medium heavy berkley big game spinning rod with a pinnacle ppd80 reel spooled with 40 lb stren mono, the rest of the rig consists of a 1 to 4oz. slip sinker a split shot used as a stopper and a 4/0 to 8/0 j-style hook.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I use pretty much the same set up that Riverbud uses with the exception of one more rod, a 7.5 boss baitcaster rod in heavy action with a 7000 big game abu on it. My favorite rod set up next to the tiger.

15. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Jayson,

I do all of my fishing from the bank and use several different outfits depending on where I'm fishing. When fishing below the dam I use a Penn Peer 109 loaded with 20 lb trilene mounted on a 12 foot ugly stick. I don't get the distance some of my surf buddies do but I can hit 65 to 75 yards and keep the bait on. I will mount the same reel on a 9 foot rod when fishing on other parts of the river where I don't need that kind of distance. I got a big Cabela's Salt Stalker spinning reel with a 12 foot beef stick for Christmas, haven't thrown it yet so I don't know how much distance I can get with it. I have other smaller rods and reels I use when fishing in certain areas of the river. I use a basic three-way terminal rig, a sinker at the end of my line (3-5 oz below the dam, 1-2 oz when fishing other areas of the river). I tie in a loop 12 - 18 inches above the sinker and attach a 0/3 to 0/8 circle hook (depends on location and bait).

John

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use two rigs a 12 ft eagleclaw mh with an abu 7000 spooledwith 20 lb ande and a 7.5 ft berkly big game with a shakespere skp2000 spooled with 20lb ande big rod a dropper rig with a 5 oz bait sinker and a 5/0kahle.
    the smaller rod i use a 1 or 2 oz slip sinker with a barrel swivel and a 4/0 circle or a 5/0 kahle