Favorite catfishing holes and what works for you?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bondman, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Ok everyone here is a simple question to get some people started responding. what is your favorite catfishing holes and what do you use for bait?
    Bondman

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Howdy Henry, how you been?

My favorite spot is prolly the Mazon river, and I use live bluegills, creek chubs and shiners for flatheads. Cut chubs, livers and sometimes frogs for channels. Last years drought hit the Mazon hard, I'm hoping it didn't do any long term damage.
    Rat

3. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big logjams in deep water on a outside bend with a sandbar on the inside bend, any river with flatheads.

4. SPowell

SPowell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the Fox River, above and below the dam in Yorkville. I've had good luck with cut Shad and shiners. I also fish the Plainfield Fishing Resort and have caught nice channels on nightcrawlers, stinkbait and cutbait.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good ole Mississippi between Alton and Chester. Gotta love the skippies and herring, but right now shad is all we can get and it is working fine. There are SOOOOO many good holes between there it is rediculous. I think Alton area is arguably the top blue cat area in the nation. And I hope people realize this and do more CPR! I hate seein big cats leave for table fare:mad:!

6. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    I fish a spot on the fox river north of the McHenry Dam that has a creek coming in on one side and about a 100' down has a dead end channel coming off the river. I am able to fish the entire stretch between the creek and channel. I use live gills and cut bait. Mainly catch channels but a flathead will come along every now and then.

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    the kanawha river at a place we call the shad hole. and yes you guessed it we use shad.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I fish the California Delta in the Tracy & Stockton area, but my best fishing is in a city called Lodi. Dip-Bait & Cut Shad are the baits that I like to use.
    :0a23:

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

9. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I fish the Illinois River and use shad (cut,alive) Skipjack, and catch alot of nice channels and Blues (nothing over 15Lb) and some nice Flatheads. fish the dam and the outside bends with logjams.

10. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Rat how have you been? Its great to be home i am doing good.

well my all time favorite has to be vandalia lake for channels always do good there. shallows at night drift fishing during the day.I have some real nice holes I fish in this lake I do some chumming here that always helps me (so I cheat hehehe) .cut shad, cut bluegills, some stink bait. I have been told there is some flats in there but I have never caught any.

Coffen lake has always filled the freezer with channels they seem to be everywhere on this lake. but there is not very many big ones. whole small shad and cut shad on jugs work very well to put some fish in the boat. drift fishing with a small whole shad seems to work also. shad cut bait and stink bait seem to be the favs here. To fish this lake from the bank there is numerous spots to park.

The spillway at carlyle has produced flats for me as has the main lake by the train tracks near keysport that is a touchy spot they might be there one day and gone for the next week following the channel out into the main lake or back up into the north end (stump field and trot line haven) always a nightmare up in there in the summer. Live bluegills and warmouthsbest baits here. I know there is channels but never really bother to fish for them as I have some other places for when I am after channels.

Kaskaskia river near vandalia has always given me a few flats but in this river its the deep holes near coxs bridge and the log jams farther up river. same bait as carlyle.

Mississippi river at alton have fished it both from the bank below the lock and dam and from a boat for blues I have not tried it for flats but will this year. Skips and shad.

I have been getting my boat ready as it has not seen water for awhile and will be getting her wet within the next week or so (weather permiting). will most likely hit coffen lake first just to make sure she is up to par. I will be trying new lakes this year trying to find the best spots so when my catfishing brothers come to fish with me I hope to beable to put them on some mighty fine catfishing...

11. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Good ol' Mighty Miss by Quincy,Illinois at lock n' dam 20 (aka Meyer Dam).
    We catch everything pretty much only on shad, skipjack doesnt work for crap.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I often fish Lake Mattoon. I reckon I catch as many big cats near the causeway as anywhere else using shad. I can't put up too much information, Chuck will know all of my honey holes and secrets if I do.:p

13. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    lol Dave, I don't fish by the causeway to often. I like fishing coves. Have you been doing any good on the crappie or cats??

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chuck, those places we fished worked pretty good I thought. It's about time for another trip to Illinois I think. About 3 weeks or so ought to be good.

15. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the lower fox mainly near Plano, IL. There are some real nice runs and several islands. The waters on each side of the top of the islands tend to make some great eddys and the cats just hang out in there then shoot along the current lines down the sides of the islands. I also love to fish the deadfall along the banks especially in hard currents where shorebound fishermen can't reach.

I typically use dip baits, worms, or chicken liver. Only Cats touch the dip bait, the carp and drum will take the worms:sad: , and the turtles will take the chicken livers:mad: .

16. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I prefer the stip mine ponds in Knox county. The only bait I use is dip bait. Any cut bait, livers or worms catch turtles instead of cats.

Ray

17. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Chuck, here is a picture of the luck I have been having. I plan to start hitting the water next week.
    Well, I can't get the picture uploaded but you can see the snow in my boat on another thread.

18. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    i fish crab orchard lake in southern illinois , shrimp is very good during spawning season, as well as night crawler, and the good o' chicken liver

19. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Haven't done much River fishing none in Illinois except at the River in Vandalia when I grew in the 70's. The only place I found where I could catch some Cats here in Illinois was at Rend Lake about a yr. and half ago, me and my Dad used Geno's Stink Bait from Carlyle on a small treble hook---took my Dad aprox. 7 times and we caught around 50-60 good channels to eat enough for about good 6 Suppers feeding about 6 people. Was probably the best fishing I've done with my Dad all my life. Geno's stink bait was the only thing that was catching them, went back last year 1 time my Dad caught one channel, but we got there a little late in the morning so they weren't biting very well.

20. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    The Rock River just down stream of the Rockton damn three holes in a shallow strech of river. Summer time using Livers and Red worms for Channel and live Gill for Flathead (only going on my second year of flathead fishing). I hope to get out in the next cuple of days and see what I can stir up. Northern are hitting anything that hits the water as of right now.