Favorite Catfish Spinning Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catman 1964, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    What is your recommendation for a good Spinning Reel. A friend of mine wants to get an outfit and he does not like Baitcasters. I have a Baitrunner 6500B and he thinks that is to much. Any advice would be great. We fish the Rio Grande near Albuquerque NM and have caught several Flats over 15#.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about a shimano baitrunner 4500B, or a mid sized Okuma baitrunner.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Several manufactures of open face bait runners, sometimes called full runners or baitfeeders, The have a lever on the back to allow line to feed out with out a birdnest situation, and when you turn the handle it re-eneages the driver,,very neat set up
    Another one is made by Mitchel. it lights up and beeps when the line is pulled off I have 2 of them myself and like them alot , theres one for trade in the Swap section

4. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I personally use a silstar tr-90 or a Penn 8500

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i have a couple RHINO baitsensor reels that are very good and affordable
    they have the leverbar in the back that allows your live bait to awim out and about and when you here the clicker start screaming flip the bar
    and yank (unless your useing a circle hook)
    you can get one for under 50 bux and they are durable and smooth
    cast great
    3-4 different sizes

Rhino Baitsensor
    Exclusive BaitSensor controls the action of the live bait for the ultimate presentation
    Precision-machined and balanced Gyro-Rotor
    Power-forged aircraft aluminum spool
    Line roller with Twist Reducer
    Rhino front-adjustable drag
    Selective Continuous Anti-Reverse
    Convertible right or left retrieve
    Diecast aluminum balanced power handle
    Soft-touch crank knob

Model Line Cap Lbs/Yds Gear Ratio Weight Oz Bearings
    RSPBS6 20/200 5.1:1 - 3 $47.99

6. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the help I just got the new Connection catalog and he is looking at some Okuma reels. He likes my Baitrunner 6500B just not the price you all take care and will talk later.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I really like my Okuma Coronado CD-65 its smooth and so far I have had no problems what so ever with it.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have a Okuma Epixor EB50 , I love it. Im going to get one more EB50 , then Im going to get a EB80 for my river set up. Ive got my EB50 on an 8ft. Cabelas King Cat 2 piece spinning rod. I plan to do the same , when I get my other EB50. Now when I get my EB80 , Im going to put that on a 9 ft. Ugly Stik Big Water rod. Baitliners is the way to go. I got tired of worrying about a big fish taking my gear in the water.

You can check this reel out right here.......
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...20333&hasJS=true&_loopback=1&_requestid=83852

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Before I switched to baitcasters, I loved my Rhino reels. They are affordable enough for the fisherperson on a budget.

Ray

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Catman, Let him catch a fish on your Shimano and then watch his face afterwards! He will want to go immediately to the closest sporting goods store and buy one. The Okumas are fantastic reels also and the EB series may fit into the budget better. The other models in the Okuma line I have not used, although I feel that they may also be worth a look. The fact that I have both is not to say that I would not use either one for the fish that you are after. JMHO!!!

HOPPY4

11. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    does anybody use the quantam big cat rods? med-heavy action 7'6"