Favorite Catfish Recipes/Cooking your catch

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JMarrs328, Jan 2, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What are your favorite recipes for your catfish catch. Batters, style cooking, etc.

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like to add bout 1/3 or less of flour to bout a cup of corn meal. Mix it up in a bag. Throw cats in, shake em up, deep fry till they float. They taste best like that too me sometimes When done, I sprinkle salt and Tabasco maybe sometimes a little lemon juice. Depends on the mood. Course all the other trimming that go with em and always Jal peppers and onion.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What kind of oil do you deep fry the cats in?

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    If you can get it - tiger nut oil.

It was used by the egyptians but olive oil has become more popular, I would poach the steaks in milk as opposed to frying them, but then that batter with lemon sounds nice dano

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What do you mean by "poaching them in milk," and how would i go about doing this.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like peanut oil but when I aint got none, veggie oil works good.
    I have never tried tiger nut oil. Never even heard of it. LOL.
    I hope you aint got a wrestle a tiger to get it. :sad:

poaching them in milk I think is soaking them to get fish taste out like some I know do on deer meat. Fish taste is what I like. are dipping them so batter sticks better. For a thicker crust.

7. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
  8. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Gently heat them in milk until done...like poaching an egg. The trick is low heat, not boiling (boiling will scorch the milk and cuase it to boil over).

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never heard of that. Thanks Jen.
    I'm guessing its good. Never would I had thought to do fish like that. Blow me away.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that milk poaching does sound good. i bet that really makes for a delicate flavor. hey catbusster, will you give us your seasoning secrets for this recipe?

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I always pan fry them. My old man batters and deep fries and my wife likes them better that way. I dunno, I just like the texture of the meat better when I dredge them in flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne and lightly fry 'em in a little bit of olive oil that I've sauteed some garlic in. I don't eat a whole lot of fish, cleaning them makes it more like work than fun, so I might have a catfish dinner every couple of weeks. I do soak them in water with a couple of tablespoons of vinegar or lemon oil for a day or two before I cook them so it doesn't taste like river or creek water. Change the water couple of times a day.
    A guy in NY I know used to soak eels in milk, but dunno if he cooked them in milk as well.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    It sounds like your quite the cook :) !!! My dad likes to pan fry his catfish too.

13. jtholder00

jtholder00 New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    For the healthy people out there.. I do my chicken and my fish the same way.. I take them and dredge them through a mixture of skim milk and one of those "buttery" spays (0 fat and calories), and then I coat them in crushed corn flakes. Not frosted flakes.. Just regular corn flakes. I then bake them in the oven..

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Well I been known to make a sandwich out of just about anything that will fit between two peices of bread. Next to a oyster sandwich, this be about my favorite!
    Fried-Catfish Sandwiches with Spicy Mayonnaise

ingredients
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    4 large crusty rolls, split
    3/4 cup cornmeal
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 pounds catfish fillets
    2 eggs, beaten to mix
    1/4 cup cooking oil
    3 cups tender greens, such as spinach or leaf lettuce
    In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the cayenne. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the rolls.
    In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal with the salt, thyme, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Dip the fillets into the beaten eggs and then into the seasoned cornmeal. Shake off the excess cornmeal.
    In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the cornmeal-coated fish and fry, turning once, until golden on the outside and just done in the center, about 4 minutes per side for 3/4-inch-thick fillets. Drain the fish on paper towels. Sandwich the catfish and greens in the rolls.
    Chase with cold beer!

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    usually pan fry mine as well.

bowl 1. mix half flour, half corn meal, salt, and pepper (red and cayenne pepper if you like it spicy)
    bowl 2. mix egg, dark beer, very finely minced onion and garlic (jarred stuff is ok) (lil hot sauce if you like it spicy)
    I cut catfish into chunks as it bread/fries better for me

dip in bowl 1, then 2, then back in 1 then fry

16. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tried something new the other day......It Was Excellent!

FISH TACOS

Take fillets and marinate in a lime marinade for couple hours. Make a tray out of foil and spray with Pam nonstick spray. Put fillets on foil and grill till fish is firm. When it is done, Put fish in a tortilla with some black beans, lettuce, cheese, hot sauce, and anything else you like in fajita. Enjoy!

It is different but a true mexican dish