Favorite Carp Bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by BigCatSteve, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    When fishing for carp i use Wheaties hamburger meat and cream corn,i have caught over 20 carp in excess of 20lbs.I mix everything together and then freeze it,about an hour before i leave i lay it out to thaw.When i hit the river or lake its thawed and real sticky.Was wandering evryone favorite carp bait and how you make it.

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    plaind wheaties doughball, smeared with peanut butter. makes' em crazy.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just cant beat them Wheaties!

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    heres a mixture if you want to try it, frosted wheaties, pixie sticks, lemon juice and hamburger meat. always has worked for me

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    My son won $50.00 in a carp fishing contest with this one...

Mix these two together in a large bowl;
    1½ – cups flour
    3 – cups yellow cornmeal

In a large pan bring to a boil;
    2 – cups water

When boiling add
    ¼ - cup sugar and 3 – teaspoons vanilla extract

when the sugar is dissolved turn to a simmer and add;
    2 – pkgs strawberry/banana jell-o (my favorite) or use the
    flavor you want

Stir until jell-o is fully dissolved then add cornmeal and flour mix

This is the fun part…..

While adding the cornmeal and flour mixture it will appear that it won’t all mix together. Keep working it and it will all come together. You may, at this point have to use a heavy-duty spoon as I have broken wooden spoons mixing this up. Keep mixing it will all come together OK but it's hard.

While still warm divide up and put in empty butter dishes, yogurt cups or anything with air tight lids or wrap in saran warp and put in the fridge.
    To use, let warm up to mold into balls around the treble hooks with wire twisted around the shank. Keeps for months and can be frozen. Won't come off the hook for a long time even in current.

6. Karper

Karper New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use highly over-flavored canned corn, maise, chick peas and commercial bought baits from SuperCast.

Ive taken 3 carp over 30+ lbs. in the last 2 years since ive given catfishing a break and went after carp full time.
    In 2005 I landed over 550 carp

7. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Karper, have you lost any that would have broken the 40lb barrier? were they mostly commons or mirrors? Carp fishing can be non stop action. Why did you give catting a break and take up carping?

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, truth be told...I haven't caught a common carp since leaving Iowa...I'm wondering if there even are any in NC? But my favorite bait back in Iowa was simple...nightcrawlers! I've caught tons up to 10 pounds, and had a couple that broke 30lb. braid! The water in most the areas I would stalk carp was really clear and if you tried throwing a nasty gob of something at them, they'd swim off faster than a bass with a stinky catfish bait in front of it. I'd usually fish them with 10#line on a medium light rod, a #10 bait holder and the smallest splitshot I could find. They would INHALE the bait and...HOLD ON! Most people I talk to say that carp hit a bait real soft and you gotta be quick on the hookset, not with nightcrawlers!

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Strawberry and scopex boiles..

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    My favourite bait would have to be bread.

It can be float fished as flake, moulded into paste and ledgered or fished on the surface free line as crust and also makes an excellent groundbait if crumbed.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My Grandpa used to fish with Mulberrys in the early summer. Several trees hung over ponds and the carp and cats seemed to relish them. They tread on a hook easily and we just pitched them under the shade line. Usually didnt take long. Gramps would never keep them under 7lbs for eating. He filleted them avoiding the mud line as he called it and cutting wll around any dark meat. It was really mild and tasty fried up. Canned alot too. Smaller carp were a treat for the hogs.

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I like to use worms, corn, and small crawfish.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wheaties- canned yams- and a bit of strawberry jello powder. also worms are good bait for all fish. almost forgot the all mighty corn too! lol

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    what about just corn, here at the dams the carp love corn

15. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Corn is excellent on a hair rig or straight on the hook. I also use a "pack"...which is essentially corn, bran flakes, quick oats, and Karo syrup kneaded together and then you pack it aound your bait. It breaks up in two minutes creating a frenzy around whatever you have on your hook. Also chumming some corn will help as well. (If it is leagal in your area)

16. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shredded Wheat and vanilla extract doughballs have produce several carp for me and canned corn can get them biting also especially on the sandbars of the river I fish most of the time.

17. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    wheaties,alfalfa,wheatgerm,vanilla,cattails.mix it all together and put it in the frig the night before.:)

18. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    My Favorite Would Be

50/50 Breadcrumbs, Cornmeal
    1 Pack Strawberry Or Cherry Koolaid Mix For The Summer
    2 Tspns Of Red And Black Pepper Powdered For Winter
    1/2 Part Flour

I Always Use The Water From Where Im Fishing To Pour In And Mix So Its Ready On The Bank Then Just Mold On My Hook As It Breaks Up And Enhances The Carp To Eat. (only Put Enough Water To Make It Moist Then Stir It Real Good)

Cag Member And Full Time Fisherman

19. gamebred704

gamebred704 New Member

i love corn it works as good as any

20. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    corn soaked in any of the following;
    Vanilla
    Obsession for Carp
    Cherry Coke
    Kool-Aid(strawberry or strawberry/banana)