The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Premium Member
Thanks Kirk. I didn't know Dicks carried them. Good info.

Reactions: ramon06

Registered
Sweet corn is my number one for Carolina rigging, and boiled feed corn and "Gulp!" artificial corn for my hair rigs. The "Gulp!" doesn't float, but it keeps the nuisance fish away and very strongly scented.

Registered
Sweet corn is my number one for Carolina rigging, and boiled feed corn and "Gulp!" artificial corn for my hair rigs. The "Gulp!" doesn't float, but it keeps the nuisance fish away and very strongly scented.
I spoke too soon. This is my primary nuisance fish...

Last night these voracious little (?) buggers were even taking the fake corn on my hair rigs. All the chumming I've been doing the last few months has made them very fat and happy.

Registered
You won't run out of catbait with those lol
I spoke too soon. This is my primary nuisance fish...

Last night these voracious little (?) buggers were even taking the fake corn on my hair rigs. All the chumming I've been doing the last few months has made them very fat and happy.

Registered
Just curious...has anyone ever tried the Berkeley Power Eggs or the like for carp? Their corn is effective, just curious about the eggs.

Premium Member
You can grow them during the summer but cool (50* or so) water will kill them. I am surprised more are not grown further south. I think the water temps would be warm enough. Correct me if I am wrong.

Registered
You won't run out of catbait with those lol
I hear that there are some flats in the lake where I catch those. And you're right...they would make excellent flat bait. They're far tougher and livelier than even a green sunfish.

Premium Member
I haven't used a lot of boilies but do have a small jar. I use mostly floating artificial corn kernels here. Then I like the spiral spring type of method feeder. I mix canned sweet corn, canned white hominy, panko, strawberry jello and maybe some quick oats or Wheaties cereal in to make a backbit for the spring. Things slowly wash out of it in current but the hominy is big enough that it stays. Seems to work well. Just be sure to drain the liquid from the corn and hominy. I use a 1 gallon zip lock bag to mix it in. Just pour it all in, seal the ziplock and start tumbling it. Takes about 30 minutes for the moisture to get spread good. And it is not all sticky when packing it. You can work it with your hands and they are not all stuck together.

tight lines

Registered
I haven't used a lot of boilies but do have a small jar. I use mostly floating artificial corn kernels here. Then I like the spiral spring type of method feeder. I mix canned sweet corn, canned white hominy, panko, strawberry jello and maybe some quick oats or Wheaties cereal in to make a backbit for the spring. Things slowly wash out of it in current but the hominy is big enough that it stays. Seems to work well. Just be sure to drain the liquid from the corn and hominy. I use a 1 gallon zip lock bag to mix it in. Just pour it all in, seal the ziplock and start tumbling it. Takes about 30 minutes for the moisture to get spread good. And it is not all sticky when packing it. You can work it with your hands and they are not all stuck together.

tight lines
I just got some method feeders, and hair rigs/fake corn a few weeks ago and made a similar concoction that I got off of the Carps and Cats Youtube channel. Only used once, but I do like that it isn't as sticky as some other carp baits that I have used. I made a recipe with corn syrup a couple of months ago and that stuff stuck to everything. LOL. This stuff even in some light current (fishing small lake spillway), it didn't seem to washout too bad and it spread out rather quick. I did some testing dropping some balls of it in shallow water to see how it reacted. Didn't catch anything, but I do like the method feeders. I always had issues especially in hot weather with keeping doughball on the hook.

These are the method feeders that I got.

Premium Member
Craig I have some exactly like those but start going to a bait shop that used to be here in Indy. They had the spirals for $0.45 so I tried those and really liked them. This is a pic of the design. Really holds the corn mix well. Oh and I got the recipe from Luke youtube also.

I will post this youtube video again because it shows the method feeder, loading it and the mix. The video was a project for a GoPro class I was taking so it has a bunch of stuff stuck in it. Sounds music titles, screen transition. It was just fun to make.

and here is my homemade hair rig. Note I use braid for a leader.

tight lines

Registered
Craig I have some exactly like those but start going to a bait shop that used to be here in Indy. They had the spirals for $0.45 so I tried those and really liked them. This is a pic of the design. Really holds the corn mix well. Oh and I got the recipe from Luke youtube also.

View attachment 322522

I will post this youtube video again because it shows the method feeder, loading it and the mix. The video was a project for a GoPro class I was taking so it has a bunch of stuff stuck in it. Sounds music titles, screen transition. It was just fun to make.

and here is my homemade hair rig. Note I use braid for a leader.

View attachment 322523

tight lines
Nice video! I will have to see if I can find those. They would be cheaper for sure and should work as well.

Premium Member
There are several different versions of this spiral type mix holder.

Some have a metal tube going thru the center. Some have a plastic tube. And some have a tube with a weight affixed to the tube in the middle of the spiral.

I do really like the style but some break easily. I generally just put a sliding sinker above the method feeder on mine.

Keep that hominy in mind. If you are not familiar with it, it is a corn product and is good for keeping some of the mix inside the spiral. When I an ready to go home I usually have to stretch the spiral some to get the hominy out.

If you make the mix I mentioned, be sure to drain the juice before adding it to the dry components.

Man I love to hear that clicker or bait feeder start up when a carp runs with the bait.

tight lines

Banned
Sweet corn...that's pretty much my go to bait. Frozen or canned, I catch more carp on sweetcorn than on anything else combined.

I have tried boilies from Europe that were supposed to be the bomb but they were not so well received here. I can only assume it's because the carp have never seen them before and were skeptical about eating them. I have tried pellets and store bought carp bait....nothing comparesto plain old sweet corn

I have had decent luck on vanilla doughballs. Flour, eggs, vanilla and either cotton balls or cat tails to add some fiber to the mix so it stays on the hook. It works pretty well

I use hair rigs and as much as some people will wail and gnash....I have little difference between a hair rig and a #6 hook with the corn threaded right on the hook

The advantage is a hair rig generally catches them in the lips and not deep in the throat or gut. Other than that, the corn catches regardless of how it is rigged.

Carpare some clever fishes but they are not swimming Einsteins....they have their weaknesses and corn is right up there as being one of them

Registered
I use canned sweet corn. If you want to liven it up, you can mix a cap full of LorAnn flavoring oils to your canned corn. The flavoring oils are very intense, so go light. I buy the 1 dram size from my local pharmacy. You can get them online and probably at many other local stores. (1 cap full will work for 2 cans of corn) The oils come in tons of flavors. I usually use tutti-frutti, strawberry or bubblegum. Candy Flavorings 1 Dram Size | LorAnn Oils
I mix mine in a groundbait mixing bowl or a camping foldable wash basin bucket. I bought the groundbait bowl back in the 1990's from a carp fishing store I found in In-Fisherman. The foldable was basin came from Wal-Mart. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travel-Outdoor-Camping-Foldable-Wash-Basin-Bucket-Portable-Tool/752005739
Both work well and fold up for easy storage. I like to shoot my corn out with a groundbait slingshot. I made my own but you can buy them on the web. Big Carp Tackle sell a lot of gear.

Registered
I would chum with corn and fish with a crawler. The big guys in the pod will chase the little guys outta the way for the protein. I used to use everything from corn flakes, to wheat germ to keep a chum ball together, but a nice fat crawler in the middle on a hook always seemed to get the big guy. Corn just caught whatever was there...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts