The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only use one or two baits to catch carp, What would that bait be? I have a carp challenge at a friends pond next week and I need to catch more carp than he does. Although I'd be ok with catching the biggest carp too. I've only caught carp on worms while catfishing. Thanks for any and all info on how to catch carp in a pond.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I like the artificial floating whole kernel corn on a hair rig, Just as important as the bait is the method mix to attract the carp to the bait.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I would sneak out and chum a spot with some whole kernel corn. It is legal in Indiana but I am not sure about Illinois. So it is just a fishing technique that should not be considered unfair. Just be sure you get that spot. haha

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would sneak out and chum a spot with some whole kernel corn. It is legal in Indiana but I am not sure about Illinois. So it is just a fishing technique that should not be considered unfair. Just be sure you get that spot. haha
There is an Urban legend saying it's not but I've read through the book and asked no less than 2 idnr officers and they more or less said it was frowned upon but there wasn't really any law against it. I think it more comes into play when people are chumming for trout and such. I would not be worried.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have posted this recipe before but this is definitely my favorite bait to use. I use what's called packbait witch is just a moldable bait you can squeeze around your lead that will slowly break down and release flavoring and food particles into the area around your hook bait. This can be made using a variety of grains and flavorings but what has worked best for me is 1lb dry panko bread crumbs and 1lb dry minute oats mixed with 2-3 cans of creamed corn and some strawberry jello for flavor. This will be easy to ball up and wrap around the lead. I will then use hair rigged fake or real sweet corn for a hook bait. If you need more information or I didnt explain it well enough the YouTube channel catfish and carp has many videos on how to make a simple packbait out of just panko, corn, and jello.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
If at any time you decide to use field corn, make sure you boil or pressure cook it. Dry corn can hurt fish.
I don’t think you plan to use field corn. It is just info you should know.

·
Horse-MON
21,573 Posts
Field corn in a 50 gal. barrel with water, soak till a stink'n mess and is soft, you can also use it as bait on a hook for eater size channels. LOL

PS if you get it on yours hands you have to wear the stink off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically I can use canned corn and chum the area I'm fishing? A buddy told me to soak the corn in chocolate syrup the nite before I go. Will that help or hurt?

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Mike I have never used chocolate so can't give an option. As far as chumming, just canned corn works well but you are better to do it each day for at least two days. For my carp fishing strawberry seems to be their favorite and easy to find. Strawberry jello, strawberry Koolaid, just make sure it is not sugar free.

Do you use a method feeder that you would put a method mix/packbait around?

·
Registered
113 Posts
So..............my go to, after catching literally thousands of common, mirror and grass carp (not as many of the latter :)) is by using a 1-3 ounce method lead with hand-tied hair rig tied short (2-3") with two pieces of fake yellow corn as the hair. The hook is Korda Kamakura #6 or #4. Then mix panko bread crumbs with sweet corn juice and jello brand strawberry jello (enough you can smell it from a good distance in the kitchen) with birdseed. Mix it all together, and when you arrive, add local lake water- you want it to compact like clay-not mushy; too dry and it will not stay. The birdseed makes it fall apart; the fake corn makes the hook float about 2 " above the pile. Cast out (you can chum the night before with items mentioned before, but the standard is 3 nights in a row and fish the fourth) and either use bait runners, or keep the drag light, as even the 6lbrs will pull a rod in before you can get it :). Re-cast every 30 minutes. Use this, be patient, and you will win. If you don't have these rigs, the simplest (and still will win) is to use a 1-2oz egg sinker with a bb split shot on the line below, and about 6-10" of line to the hook as above. Then place as much sweetcorn on the hook as you can. The key is the hook, as the carp mouth is very rubbery, and you want them hooked immediately. I think is almost equally important to have the floating corn-its right in their cruising level. Good luck, and when you win, share the prize money!!!!.....I think it is equally important to have the floating corn- its right in their field!!!!
Kirk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I need special carp hooks for a better hookup rate? I was planning on using small circle hooks. Will that work? Or should I run to store to see if they by chance have whatever carp hooks you guys recommend? What style should I look for? Probably have biggest selection at my local Walmart, but I'll check Farm n Home too. Thanks for the advice.
"Tournament" has been postponed til next week due to 100degree temps outside.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,185 Posts
Mike,
Some guys use circle hooks to good effect for carp but the "suck/blow-suck/blow-swallow while barely moving" manner in which they feed means they can take in that hook and spit it back out a dozen times and not get hooked.

Basically speaking, you can hook carp in 3 ways:
1. Using a circle and tightening up on them as they swim away with the bait.
2. A self hooking rig such as a hair rigged bait on a fixed lead or running type set up.
3. Hitting every twitch of the rod top, line or float.

I would not use 1 to target carp as they don't generally feed that way.

2 would be my go-to method. They make "carp" hooks with geometries specifically suited to this method but you can do it with most any J hook. I would not go any bigger than a size 2 or smaller than a 6 unless the carp are very small in which case an 8 or 10 is OK.

3 works OK but requires intense concentration and it's easy to miss bites but there is a certain hypnotic satisfaction and therapeutic effect from watching a float.

There are literally hundreds of things on line and Utube showing how to tie a basic hair rig.
In reference to what Kirk said above, Google "Carp Method Rig and there is all you need to know right there.

...W

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Mike, I would go with a hair rig hands down. They may sound complicated but they are actually very simple. In essence you tie a small loop in the end of a length of line, lay that line with the loop beside the hook so the loop sticks out about a 1/4 inch. Then tie an easy snell knot to the eye of the hook. After the hook is snelled, leave about 4 or 5 inches of leader and put a loop in that end.

The only thing I add to that is I add a small piece of tiny tubing to hold the line to the shank of the hook between the snell knot and the hair loop. see pic #2

fullsizeoutput_70c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70a.jpeg

These are #2 hooks. I prefer #2s or #4s, the main thing is to make sure they are super sharp. I made the hair (loop under the artificial corn) a little longer because I am using two floating corn kernels.

I made these out of braided line. The tubing on the leader is to stiffen that section of line to help prevent tangles. Some use Mono or Fluorocarbon line. U.S. carp are not super line shy which is to our benefit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I need special carp hooks for a better hookup rate? I was planning on using small circle hooks. Will that work? Or should I run to store to see if they by chance have whatever carp hooks you guys recommend? What style should I look for? Probably have biggest selection at my local Walmart, but I'll check Farm n Home too. Thanks for the advice.
"Tournament" has been postponed til next week due to 100degree temps outside.
Naw- gamakatsu circle hooks #6 will work well..They are special carp hooks you order online- they will have better hooksets and lose fewer but, you should still win!!!
MO

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I like the Gamakatsu hooks also. But I didn't know if there would be time to get them ordered and in.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts