favorite breed of coonhound?

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by River_monster91, Nov 22, 2007.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    just thought i would get your thoughts on your favorite breed of coonhounds. mine would either have to be black & tan or a good ol' redbone.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've owned several over the years. The redbone was my pick. I also had a small redbone that was the best rabbit dog in this part of the country. Thanks.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Id have to give my vote to the treeing walker breed. I used to be big into coonhunting and hunted competitively all over Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio. I had one of the best walker females to ever hit the midwest. She was 9 months old to the day when she treed her first coon. She would split tree, take pressure like no other, and was the hardest tree dog ive ever seen. Well over a hundred barks a minute, with her feet never leaving the tree until the coon hit the ground. I made her a nite champion in 5 hunts at the age of 16 months, with three first place wins as well as a second and third place. She went on to be a UKC Grand Nite Champion and a PKC Champion also. She died about four years ago at the age of 10. Never been able to get another even close to her so just give it up altogether. She was of the old Lipper breed, Stylish Lipper being her father. She was purchased out of Kentucky. rspd507

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I HAVEN'T HUNTED IN YEARS. i always loved blue ticks but every one i ever had started quiting the tree before i got there at about 3 years old. redbone always stayed with it till he died. never cared much for the treeing walker although they were good compition dogs. best compition dog i ever had was a ladrador retriever but he didn't hunt in the woods. he got baned for killing coons.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I guess me favorite is a Blue Tick and Black an Tan. I had a Blue Tick named Wop. I was given the dog because he would not Run deer any more after a new deer hunter shot at him thinking he was a deer. Ol Wop Started to hunt coons on his own. So I got me a light and we started to coon hunt. He got to treeing but he wouldn't rare up on a tree just stand on the ground and bark.
    At the time coon hides weren't worth anything. So when he treed a coon I would shoot around it and make it jump out and let Wop have him and the fight would be on. He wouldn't hurt the coon. The coon would get away with Wop after him and tree him. I would pet him then I would snap a leash and we wold hunt another one.
    A friend had a Black&Tan named Willie. Willie was a real good dog. Get solid on a tree bark his head off. But man he was cold nosed he wood get on a coon's trail that was month old seemed like but if you left him alone Willie would finally tree it.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    my favorite is my mountain view cur. got him trained to tree coons and squirrels. could ask for a greater hound, or a better buddy dog

7. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 Member

State:
    TN
    Mine would have to be red ticks .We just retired are old dog she turned 17 this year and i raised her from a pup

8. MR, whiskers

MR, whiskers New Member

State:
    ohio
    hello, i have hunted or hunted with most breeds of coon dogs .

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my last coonhound was a english bluetick when i let home i kept there and my dad took care of her and he would turn her and my beagle loose and let them run around a little and the beagle would jump a rabbit and then my coonhound started to run rabbits that ruined that dog so i took her to the pound

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I haven't coon hunted for years but my father and I always had Redbones.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WELL DONNIE , AS A KID I LOVED BLK. &TANS ,MY DAD WAS A BLUETICK MAN , BUT MY VERY BEST DOG WAS A GRAND NITE CHAMPION TREEING WALKER, I HUNTED HIM UNTILL HE WAS 15,WE WERE BUDDIES THE LAST TIME WE WENT HE WAS OLD BUT LOVED TO GO SO I TOOK HIM BY HIMSELF,THE FIRST TREE HE TREED A TRIPLE,NEXT TIME A DOUBLE, THEN HE DID SOMETHING I NEVER SAW HIH DO ,MAKE TWO FALSE TREES IN A ROW HE WAS SO TIRED ,I FELT SO SORRY FOR HIM ,I SAID ITS OK OLD BUDDIE YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB,THIS ALL HAPPENED IN ABOUT 50 MINUTES.WE WALKED BACK TO THE TRUCK TOGETHER AND I TOOK HIM HOME HE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO BUT I DIDNT TAKE HIM IT WAS THE END OF SEASON HE LIVED ANOTHER SIX MONTHS JUST DIED OF OLD AGE.THIS SADENED MY HEART ,BECAUSE WE WERE AS I SAID BUDDIES.I TRYED SEVERAL DOGS AFTER THAT BUT JUST COULDNT FIND ONE THAT MESURED UP SO I GAVE UP A SPORT I DEARLY LOVED ! THAT WAS 27 YEARS AGO

12. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I personally like the Blueticks and Black and Tans but it seems like the Walker dogs are hard to beat in being able to get your hands on a decent one without having to pay an arm and leg. It maybe just because of the sheer number out there I don't know. It seems as a whole they are easier to train although they do seem to like to run a little more junk. A lot of the black dogs and blue dogs don't seem to make a really good dog until closer to 3 years old or even older while the Walkers are usually doing pretty good by 2. I still love to hear an good blue dog get on a cold track and work it uo and then hang that tree.:eek:oooh:

13. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    I used to coon hunt back in the 70's. Always had Treeing Walkers myself, but I've hunted with a pretty good Bluetick and a pretty good English Red Tick. Lots of fun, but I finally gave it up for fishing.

14. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    Well back home in Tennessee, I have many friends who coon hunt, with many different types of coon dogs, BUT, for the most part, the best I have hunted with, have been Black/Tans, and Walkers. to include a 3 legged Blk/Tan, that would not give up for anything, even if she was farther behind then the other dogs, while tracking/chasing, once she caught up to a tree'd coon, you could hear her over all other dogs.

Seen MANY excellent Redbone, Walker, BLK/Tan, Plott's, and other exceptional working hounds at the St. Jude's Childrens charity hunts back home, BUT again I am partial to the Blk/Tan, and Walker.

Just my 2cents worth.

15. oklahomahunter

oklahomahunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey everyone

i just got in to coon hunting. i have a 7 month old walker pup that has a extreemly good blood line. when i take her with other dogs she runs with them but she wont bark when they tree. she also wont bark on a caged coon. any sugestions? traning tips?

16. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    id have to say and this is coming from a guy grew up in the mountains huntin bear and mountain lions more than anything with dogs. however my ol' plots never had no trouble and i will swear by a WALKER

17. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    There's nothing better than the cold nosed, big boned, Black and Tan. Blueticks being the same, just slightly lesser from my experience and others'. And what's this I hear about walkers? Aren't they strictly a sight hound? Coons run at night, ya'll...:wink:

-Red

18. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    William,
    My advice would be to just keep him hunting with the other dogs until he starts on his own a bit. But, In my opinion, you can run pups with other dogs too long, where they become what I always like to call "me too" dogs. Once he starts showing interest and doing it some on his own, start hunting him by himself. Keep giving them the meat too, this is a big key in breaking a coonhound. One trick I always used was if at the tree a pup wouldnt tree, Id tie them back and not them fight the coon when it come down. Sometimes this would get them fired up and want to get in on the action. Also another word of advice, and I cant stress this enough, dont hunt him with trash running dogs. This I mean dogs that run deer or anything besides a coon. Young hounds will usually pick up the bad habits faster than the good ones. Keep us posted on how your pup is doing. rspd507

19. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im never going to hunt anything but walkers! i just got into hunting big time like 5 years ago. my grandpa had this dynamite walker out of neosho river razor. great hound, the best ive ever seen. this dog treed 8 coons in one tree one night. all of them good sized coons. he could find a trail, run it and tree in under 10 minutes some nights. we never hunted him in competition but he was an easy grand night! by god 5 years after i started hunting my grandpa bought me a pup for my birthday and right when we were gonna start her ole jake (grandpas hound) died of cancer.. man i had some great times with that hound. i woulda gotten mauled by a coon a few times if it wasnt for him. i was really sad to see him go. but i got this new dog and shes doin really well. shes out of sacket jr. son and neosho river daisy. treed her first coon at 9 months all by herself and since then (shes almost 3) shes treed 100 more coons. ive kept track on everyone and i know shes gonna be a great hound. fast, strong, and smart too!. but like ive said before, im never hunting anything but walkers

20. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    id have to say my favorite is a black and tan with bluetick making a good second. i had a tree walker and he was good but would run a deer if he jumped it himself. and i dont think there is anything prettier then seeing a black and tan standing on a tree