favorite brand of fishing line for the big cats?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by jesseray, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    what is your absolute favorite cat-line and why.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I use Momoi Diamond Hi-Catch Fishing Line 50lb. Florescent yellow. and Andre 100lb. mono leader line

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Power Pro is my line of choice. It has zero stretch which means better hook sets and is strong, strong, strong with a small diameter. No spool memory to worry about either. I use 65lb test but a lot of folks use 80lb, which I may switch to next time I change my line.

I use a mono leader (50 lb. test) for abrasion resistance, and also to be the weak link so it breaks before the expensive braided line.

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    This year I went back to mono line..I used to use nothing but braided..however I found when I got hung up it would always break before my mono leader did?? I also found on the missouri I would notice after a few months the braided line would look like it had several spots where the line appeared to rub against a rock and it was frayed. Maybe that is way it never broke the leader but somewhere in the line. Now I'm using a 40 pound line on all but two of my lines. I have three poles with Ande's, 2 with Burkley, and 2 with Bass Pro Salt water line. I want to see how each works this year. I really liked the way the braided line was when casting and the amount I was able to get on a reel. The mono line takes up a lot of reel space and you can not throw it as far. I also have a lot more birds nest with the mono than I did with the braided line. I guess I'll make up my mind next year to go back to braided line or stay with mono.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was a huge Big Game Fan, but bought a spool of Ande from Catfishsafari and I am finding that I like it much much better... Seems to cast alot better, not nearly as "stiff" and doesn't have the memory that BG does...

6. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have six poles rigged up with andes evny green 40# test that works very well. easy to cast very low memory. and i have two rigged up with 65# power pro yellow. i use it while drift fishing with the pole in my hand

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    65# power pro with 40 and 50# big game leaders, and 30# power pro and 20# big game leaders on the light side. i am considering spooling up one of my ambassadeurs with just big game one season and see how it holds up. i see a lot of us on here do that, i just need to see if it will work for me.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm using Berkley Big Game HI TEST in electric green. 15# test. also use Berkley Big Game in 20# test. Like the castability and the low memory of this line.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Going with Skip on this one Johnny turned me on to it:smile2::tounge_out: By the way skip has to have it to toss 16oz sinkers:wink::tounge_out:

10. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I preferr Cajun Red Lightning or Red Cast or Berkley Big Game in Green...

11. xtremecatfishin

xtremecatfishin Member

State:
    Conway Ar
    Ive been useing twenty five pound test berkley big game line for as long as I can remember and it seems to be an all around good line low stretch and very high abrasion resistance. I'm not saying that this is the best of all lines but as far as i'm conserned its a winner.

12. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using 25lb big game, but am considering 30-40lb power pro, I want to see how the braid holds up with the river, rocks, and muddy; abrasive water

13. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Berkely Big game Hi-Vis yellow 30 lb,with 60 lb big game low vis green leaders

mikeb

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My first choice of mono line would be Berkley big game solar green in 40lb test. I find this line to work best for me in all categories as far as strength, memory, and abrasive resistant. My second choice would be Sufix tritanium plus in 30 lb test, for all the same reasons. Believe me...I have tried a variety of different lines over the years and find these 2 out perform the rest over all.

15. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    80# Power-Pro with 100# mono leaders. The heavy leaders resist "kinking" up in heavy current. I did use 50# big game for my leaders, but it would kink up real bad in current.:angry: This is what I will use untill I find something that works better!

16. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use big game and ande on my big catfish rigs. On my smaller rigs I use stren original, and bass pro excel.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I mostly like the Berkley mono lines.

18. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got some of the Stren Stamina in hi-vis gold. Anybody used this line before?

19. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i just got a spool of 30# but have not spooled up yet

20. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Harold, let me know how it goes. I used the regular stren in 30# hi-vis gold but Stren stopped making that line in anything heavier than 20#.

That hi-vis gold is real easy to see so thought I would try the Stamina line. Should get it in a week or so.