Favorite Birds!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Feb 12, 2008.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    The only thing I like about winter in this area is these little critters.
    Just wish I could of gotten closer .Had to take these through the windsheld so I wouldn't scare them off.

Attached Files:

2. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am not much of a bird watcher but I found what looked like a little falcon in a building at work were we park the trailers. It was dead. Guess it got in and couldn't get out. I looked it up in a book and it is called a Kestrel. Cool little bird of prey with pretty markings. Now that I've seen that one I see them from time to time on power lines looking over fields.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Where I fish the local river, about 130 yards away is an eagle nest. Didn't know it was there till the leaves came off this fall. they should be back next spring. Will get some pics for ya of 'em on the nest if I can.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We have a slooosh of eagles here now. They seem to be doing well around the chicken houses. I wish i was seein as many turkeys as i am eagles. They are everywhere now. I would think they'll be movin on as soon as spring breaks.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, eagles definantly rank right up there as one of my favorite birds! They are still not what you would call common, but I see them frequently when fishing at MTL. Last spring, I got a picture of an eagle on it's nest with 2 chicks! Very cool. I posted it somewhere on here.

Anyways, someone shot one in Monroe county!!! :sad2::angry: The authorities are looking for them. I hope they catch em!!!

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Never could understand why anyone would want to shot such a pretty bird.Even if it was sick or hurt at least get ahold of Conserv Dept and let them handle it the proper way.
    Only problem is now they have been taken off the indangered Spieces list.:sad2: They shouldn't of ever done that.JMHO

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My favorite bird is the kind ya can flip at ignorant people. LOL!

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Here's my favorite bird; Meleagris gallopavo

Attached Files:

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks for sharing the pics John, I'm a big eagle fanatic myself. I collect them and have 2 tats of eagles. They are my favorite bird.

:big_smile:

10. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Thanks for the picts. I love to watch them.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the pictures.

I've see eagles here and last year got a camera with enough zoom to get a decent shot but haven't seen any more. The most eagles I ever saw in the wild at one time was from the ship coming into Sitka, Alaska. Later we were at the Alaska Raptor Rehabilitation Center and I took this picture.

Attached Files:

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Only problem is now they have been taken off the indangered Spieces list.:sad2: They shouldn't of ever done that.JMHO

Rest assured that eagles are still very much protected as a bird of prey, and as the national symbol. Very much a felony to kill one, or even possess so much as a shed feather.

Here's the pics I captured at MTL.

Attached Files:

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hmmm, Ben Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey our national emblem/bird, instead of the eagle. That's a weird thought.....wonder if that had happened, it folks would still eat turkey as much as they do.

I've never seen a bald eagle in person, maybe one of these days. Thanks for the pictures folks.

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    they are beautiful birds, they have built up the ones here in ohio and now have lots of nesting pairs, i see them often and never when i have a camera lol, those and red tail hawks are my favorites to watch, ive seen an eagle fishing and a hawk swooping and catching a rabbit, a few of the cooler things ive seen :smile2: