Favorite Baits by species

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by FWFeecherman, Aug 6, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey all. Just wondering what all you guys/gals out there use for you favortie species of cats? I like live bluegills for Flatheads, cutbait (carp/suckers) for channels, and night crawlers for bullheads. How about you? I've heard of many other baits people love like shrimp for channels, bullheads for Flatheads etc. Thought maybe there would be some new bait out there I might want to try. Tight Lines and Screamin clickers to ya!!!

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i am a firm beleiver in creek chubs.. but gills, shad, rock bass and sunfish are there too... But i have caught just about everything on shrimp.... but i have caught a few on Wheaties and vanilla...

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Flathead= ANY big lively fish, but overall, bluegills
    Channel Cats=small shad, either whole or cut
    Blues=Large Shad, Usually cut or we catch a few, but big ones, on huge lively creek chubs (over 10 inches).

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tried some old freezerburnt chicken fat marinated in garlic.I got a few bites but no fish.First time I ever heard of it,but people claim it works,like I said I had bites just nothing caught!pk powell:crazy:

5. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. Any of you ever used bullheads for bait for flatheads? I have read a lot about them using them down South.

6. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my best weapon for all cats is 6 or 7 big nightcrawlers all on one hook wrapped with thread.

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I like to use live gills or live shad for Flatheads. I use cut shad, cut gills, cut carp, and worms for channels...

8. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Bull heads work great but just about anything lively will catch fish. If it aint kickin they aint bitin. You cant beat skipjack for blue's and channels. Shad is also probably one of the better baits.

9. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    the number one rule of thumb is to use what is in the fish's ecosystem. for example, it would be a waste of time to use a white bass in a lake that has no white bass. i always use BIG sucker. always cut in the daytime, but both alive and dead at night. i mainly fish rivers, so keep that in mind. creek chubs are productive, and bullheads are too. seen some nice flats puled out on gills,(rivers) but they are not as productive as suckers. ALWAYS try to catch ur bait from where u are fishing instead of buying it from the baitstore. hard to catch suckers though. at least 8 to 16 inchers. good bait is extremely expensive from the stores. you can also keep in mind that if you use what is already there, you wont be introducing new species of fish to that particular body of water.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I disagree, we don't have huge creek chub in my main catfish water, but I catch them in smaller streams and the flatheads love them.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Blues shad are herring, depending on where I am fishing.
    channels shad, DK's punch bait, minnows, are night crawlers
    flat heads never targeted them
    bullheads bacon, worms and small cut bait i.e. 1/3 shad are minnow

12. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    are you buying or catching these creek chubs? from what i understand from page 42 of the regulations " no individual may take any live fish(native or nonnative) and release it into any other public waters without a stocking permit" for example, lets say you take a live sucker from tippecanoe river. you use the sucker for bait down the street at a lake. you can throw that sucker right off your hook, and there it goes. released. if i am wrong, and you absolutly know forsure that i am wrong please let me know. but as far as i know, you cant transfer fish from one body of water to another.

13. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like to use live shad about 4 or 5in. long whenever we can find em'. RARE FOR ME! Also, I like cut skipjack. I've only used it once but the day I used it I caught the hell out of em'.

14. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Skipjack are great cut bait, live shad and live big suckers (2-3lb) are my preference. A gut sack with some yummy filets wrapped around like a california roll always works well, if I don't get a bite on that, they aren't biting!