Favorite bait for giant bluegills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Aug 30, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    What's everyones favorite giant bluegill bait?? I love to use tiny crawdads or scuds as bait, they always catch the behemoth gills :big_smile:

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I generally go with pieces of nightcrawlers or meal worms [if available]. I am in a hurry sometimes to catch bluegill for bait. I will have to try crawdads.

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    My dad always told me wasp larvae was the best. I think he just liked to watch me get stung lol

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    little 2" ghost minnows on a 1/64th oz. jig, hooked through the lips. that or a 4" black gulp worm. i will cut it down to 2 or 3 inches. great for crappie too!

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I haven't done any large blue gill fishing in a couple years. When I did I liked to use the meal worms.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really like the berkly gulp maggots,White seems to work best here.

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    White Crickets are the best bait ive used.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I usually use crickets or go with a small Mepps spinner.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    redworms !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A whole red worm or a small crawdad is my favorite live bait. I've caught some really big ones on beetle spins tipped with a little piece of red worm and the really small rattle traps or a rainbow trout colored Rooster Tail.

11. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like redworms or mealworms

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I like to use redworms. I can raise more in my livingroom than I can use. Gonna try and get an article up about it soon.

13. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Gill fishing is a strong #2 love,, and for me you cant beat Wax Worms,,,:wink:
    Puddle

Attached Files:

14. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I primarily use Wax Worms. When it comes to catching big bull gills Wax Worms are like sugar candy to them... I'm with ya Puddle Jumper...WAX WORMS 4 SURE!!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to agree with meal worms.

16. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Icefishing with maggots for blugills from my toasty shack.

17. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I hate to chime in with my opinion because it's limited to the good size bluegill fishing that I've done.My biggest bluegill (near a foot) have all been off hot dog pieces.I say this because where I've fished is in small farm ponds,private fishing if you will.I've never had such luck on forest preserve lakes because people eat the fish there.

From my experience I've never caught a "nice" bluegill from a public or forest preserve pond in my area,(Chicago suburbs).

18. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Chris,
    Man that sounds like a great Gill,,:wink:, got to say ive caught a million brim on hotdogs in the canals in FL,when a was growing up,:wink: your post brought back some great memories...
    Puddle

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    he may have got a kick out of you geting stung lol not funny to me lol but in his defence iv used theam a lot and thay work verry good bait

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used wasp larva a lot when I was growing up. Of course, we kids used to play with the wasps for the excitement, too. Back then, it was easy to find hedges gone wild and growing 10'-12' high. Naturally this was an important source for our bows and arrows, and our mudball throwers, but it was also where we got our 'wasp sticks'. We'd take a long straight shoot and strip off all the little shoots and leaves all the way up to the end, where we'd leave several 3"-4" shoots without the leaves. Creep up on a nest, stick the end of the stick right up next to the nest, and jiggle it violently as possible. The little shoots would flop back and forth so hard that when they hit a wasp, it usually killed the wasp. Of course, this offended the surviving wasps, and they came looking for us. We'd run just a little way, then drop down on the ground. Unlike honeybees, bumblebees, hornets, and yellowjackets, wasps just don't look for you on the ground. We seldom got stung doing this. Notice I said seldom; that was the excitement...trying to keep from getting stung.