favorite bait for blue catfish in early spring

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by twincatfis, Nov 16, 2009.

1. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    im pretty new to catfishing and im jut wondering what all my boc brothers and sisters favorite bait is early in spring?

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Early May lota rain a ball of worms, if normal water levels fresh sucker sides or carp around where they been spawnen on the river or below the dams. Later May live sunfish and shad.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like small pieces of shad and small skipjack heads.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    small cut bait is my choice.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I like eel and shad. Usually big cuts of big shad but 3 or 4 little shad hooked through the eyes has payed off with some big fish for me. I like big chunks of the eel too. That's always been my favorite baits shad and eel.

6. brycedeboe

brycedeboe New Member

State:
    danville
    shad head is my choice all yeah

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I want fresh skipjack if I can get them. Other wise I will use shad or perch.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    March 15 every year the first Hickory Shad arrive at the fall line in the James river. They live in salt water and spawn in fresh water like salmon. We use big slabs of cut Gizzard Shad all year in the James but when the Hickory Shad are in the river,,,you had best match the hatch and switch to Hickory Shad. It is all the big blues want to eat and you also get a shot at a huge Spawning Striped Bass also in the river from the ocean doing their Spawning thing.:smile2::smile2:

9. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I like cut shad or skipjack. I also use chicken livers and night crawlers just to figure out what works the best at that time. Then I would use more of the bait that is working the best. But you can't go wrong with shad.