favorite bait and hook for channels

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 20, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    mine is a 2/0 baitkeeper with a little string and premo stinkbait

in the winter i put some milk in the mix to get it sticky again

works like a charm everytime

liver is perfect when it starts to get cool

2. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Yep I use that premo dip bait on only one pond I fish. It catches more fish than anything else. I use it on a 2/0-4/0 tru turn and a 24 inch leader. For all of the other waters i fish i use cut carp, sucker or shad. All that i catch myself. If I don't have any of that then I will use chicken livers or chicken liver/crawler combo. My regular rig is a 3 oz no roll sinker, a 24 inch leader of 20-40 lb mono and a 5/0 gamakatsu shiner hook. Sometimes i'll use gamakatsu octopus circles, nautilus, stuff like that in 5/0-7/0.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    4/0 treble and stink bait for the smaller cat.... the channels seem to like this...

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    4/0 circle hook with cut fresh or frozen shad.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    for myself I like stink bait. Sonny's and Catfish Charlie used with a Junnies tubie worm with a small treble hook. Liver and cutbait rate a close 2nd.
    The trick in using a tubie worm is to keep it dry as possible before applying the stink bait. Once the tubie worm is coated with the stink bait, dip the worm in the water before casting. This helps lock the bait onto the tubie worm. I've had great success using stink bait. Best morning was 28 channels, ranging from 2 to 14lbs. That was 5 hrs. of fishing. Fun Stuff!!

Hope this helps!!!:big_smile:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Danny Kings punch bait in the blood flavor and a trebble hook from #5 all the way up to a 2/0.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    8/0 kahle or circles with generous chunks of eel on em. The way the bite is goin determines wich one I use.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    again my favorite is taking night crawler or chicken liver in a nylon hose on a no. 8 treble for channles and bullhead also have gotten carp and turtles this way also :big_smile:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the stink bait brands, but I would chose the looper rig for distribution. Holds bait longer.

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    5/0 circle hook and cutbait works most of the year here.

11. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    I LOVE THE WISKERSTICKERS HOOK UP EVERY TIME AND HOLD LIVER GOOD

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    DEPENDS ON THE TIME OF YEAR LIKE RIGHT NOW ITS NIGHT CRAWLERS THEN CARP OR GREEN SUNFISH THEN SHAD AND SAND TOADS THEN JUST PLAIN SHAD FOR ME THATS WHAT WORKS

13. curtbltz

curtbltz New Member

State:
    Ontario Canada
    Shrimp off a 89cent shrimp ring is my go to Bait. Never have gotten skunked with Shrimp. And u get far more bait off a ring for less the price of a dozen worms or anything. Try it. It is a Kat killer!

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    2/0 khale hook with either anchovie or mackerel....If i'am using dip bait then it's with a looper rig they are awesome :wink:

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love to use circle hooks my best bait for channels I would have to say would be, chicken breast cut in small pieces and soaking it in Garlic powder for a day or two.

16. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I nail most of my channels on trebles and dip/stink or chicken liver mixed with garlic powder.

17. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Fishing for the eaters in the ponds i like chicken livers.For the big ones in the tournys i like cut shad.any hook will do most times just as long as it tight lines:smile2:

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    5/0 Owner Kahle hook with cut shad, cant beat it. :wink: