Favorite and least favorite toy received as a child at Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Let's set the time frame for before any of us became teenagers.

Mine was a red tricycle I got when I was around 4. I saw one just like it in Kmart the other day and thought about all the good times I had as a kid on mine. I believe it was a Radio Flyer. Red and silver metal all the way with red plastic streamers coming out of the handle bars. I hated those things. LOL. They didn't last long.

My least favorite thing to receive was a doll.
    I was a tom boy so all those dolls were wasted $, which my parents finally figured out. Mom saved them all and gave them to my doll collecting niece in California. She still has them along with thousands of others.

What was your favorite and least favorite toy as a child?

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    My sister and I got a HUGE box of Star Wars action figures, along with the Millenium Falcon, and Darth Vaders ship...that was very cool. Another year I got one of those monkey puppets...with the long arms and legs that would velcro around you? It had a squeaker in its mouth, and a red felt tongue that my Gram's poodle Beebee ripped out when I was teasing her with it one day. :eek:
    I can't really think of anything I didn't like for Christmas, but I was always bummed I never got a Tasty Bake over. :glare:

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    My Favorite: was my first fishing outfit from my Grandfather :D

My Least Favorite: was a pair of socks from someone that could have done alot better :mad:

"enough said" :sad:

Bert :cool:

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I can only remember a vary few toys(was a long time ago). A gun and holster set, The gun made of sawdust and glue and the barrel broke off. There were always hand knitted mittens and socks. What I remember most was the new milk bucket full of candy And going to grandmas for Christmas dinner.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I got a gold colored Royce Union stingray bike when I was 8 years old. That was my favorite present as a child. I guess some type of clothing would have been my least favorite. Otherwise I can't remember any bad presents at Christmas.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I think my favorite was a red rider bb gun, the neighbors didn't feel the same though. ;)
    I can remember my lil sis getting a easy bake oven, they make much better cakes than the mud pies we were use to. :D

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Jen, I still have most of those original Star Wars in the basement. Wish the youngin would take them home with him. LOL. I loved to play with those too.

Bert, I understand why you loved that fishing outfit. The socks are a bummer aren't they? I like to pick my own out, even as a kid. And I didn't like those frilly girly socks either. My Mom still talks about trying to dress me as a girl to this day and I wouldn't have any of it. LOL.

Dafin, I had lots of cap guns and holsters, too. One of my favorite guns was the old cork pop gun that you can only find most of the time at souvenir shops now. My older brothers had some BB pistols that I was not allowed to touch, but I sure wanted to, and as I got older they gave them to me. Then there was the bow and arrow one of them made. That was always a dream of mine, to become an archer and also to learn to shoot skeet.

Whistler, I got a nice Shwinn when I was about 11 or 12. Smoothest riding bicycle ever, until a couple of boys from up the road a mile or 2 stole it and the police found it in pieces. The neighbor that owns a bike shop (has for a good 50 years now) took it and fixed it for free for me, but it never rode as smooth ever again. They ruined it but I learned a lesson from it. You can't trust everyone, but there are still good people out there.

Spoonfish, You didn't shoot your eye out did you? Sorry I couldn't resist. I love that movie, The Christmas Story. I loved bb's as a child, too. Did any of y'all's mud pies have red worms or nightcrawlers in them?

Thanks for sharing and bringing even more memories to the front of my senior brain. Merry Christmas!

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i too remember my daisy red ryder with the leather strap on the side
    i didnt shoot my eye out but damn near took my brothers out with a ricochet
    off an old walnut tree out front:eek:

another favorite was a big old box of hotwheels and tootsie toy cars/trucks
    my dad got at the goodwill for me.
    same christmas a friend of my dads at work gave me and my brother brand
    new baseball gloves and baseballs

when i was about 11-12 i got my first cassette recorder/player,it was one of the
    kind that layed flat and had the buttons at the front and the eject button that popped up the cover .probably the first ones made LOL it was one of the most
    made of use items i ever recieved
    i had about a half a dozen tapes that i memorized all the words to the songs
    with that thing even had the little earphone jack had to be like 1970 or 72

cant remember a bad christmas present heck i liked new socks shirts and clothes they made me feel good.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    DRC , LOL, made me think of how my Mom was the one that always seemed to get shot with the BB's by my brothers. And you gotta love the hot wheels! And Tonka trucks.

I know exactly which cassette player you are talking about, too. LOL.

Merry Christmas!

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i wish i still had the old tapes we had recorded ourselves on
    i had recorded us on a vacation roadtrip and me an d brothers wrestleing at the chase home versions lol
    one episode i clonked my head on the window sill narrowly escapeing serious
    injuries. breaking free from the abdominal claw lmao

yep i had several neat tonka toys
    and a buddyL pickup with trailer

and a kazillion armymen , great bb gun targets:p

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Favorite, I had alot would probably be rockem sockem robots.

My least favorite was not a toy but a zebco 202 combo :D

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    As a kid,everyone in the neighborhood was into G.I.Joes,the big ones,not those little ones.We would spend hours digging forts,throwing them out of windows with homemade parachutes.One kid scored a pack of firecrackers,man,what a battle we had that day.One Christmas I got the bright yellow 6 wheel ATV for "Joe".That thing would float,go down rocky hills,jump ramps,etc....I thing it lasted almost a year...took a lot of abuse!!

Clothes have to be the WORST gift you can give a boy between the ages of 4-18,girls on the other hand,are born with that need :rolleyes:

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    My Fav. gift as a kid was my Tonka Tow Truck I pulled or towed everything I could hook it to. Looking back I guess that's why I just had to buy a 4x4 when I grew up. However my GMC 2500 3/4 ton with 44 x 14.50 Micky T's,life kit,400 w/1100 holly carb & 400 D pan rock crucher trans was not the same,I never had to buy gas for my Tonka.LOL The guy I sold my GMC to ask how is it on gas I said NOT bad,I bet he still hates me to this day.LOL

My least Fav. gift had to be SOCKS!

14. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Favorite, would be he-man with all this castles and fighting buddies!
    Least Favorite, would have to be,my aunt got me ken doll one time. I still don't know what she was smoking!

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My G.I.Joe would kick your Kens azz!! :eek: :D

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    As a kid in the country my favorites were my Team Murray bicycle, my Red Rider BB gun, and my green Johnson Century spin cast reel ("Could cast a country mile") on a fiberglass buggy whip rod. I was mobile, armed, and had countless ponds and creeks to explore...as well as the one right in our back pasture behind the house.
    Lol...a much simpler time. Those were the best times of my life, and I didn't even realize it I guess. Couldn't wait to grow up...now I find myself thinking back to those times...when everything seemed like it was still right. But that's a whole other subject.

17. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I think my favorite present was when i was 11, It was one of those little pocket calulator/address books/computer thingies, but it had an infrared port to send messages to other people with the same product. But the best thing was that the IR could turn on TV's anywhere. I would sit in class and turn on the TV and start changing the stations and the teachers would go nuts. They didnt know anything about technology and figured it was a problem with the TV's. LOL

I think my worst present as a boy was clothes. However, I think I have grown out of that, and have asked for a few things like jackets, and overalls, and thermals in the past few years.

18. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    My favorite was my first .22 ruger rifle. I think I may have slept with it that night. :)

Least favorite was twenty pencils with my name on them. They were rainbow colored. :glare:

19. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My favorite gift as a kid... heh heh

For 2 weeks prior to christmas, my parents had a huge box next to the tree with all 3 of us kids' names on it. Every so often my mom would tell us to go check the bottom of the box for water leaks or puddles. I thought we were going to get a fish tank. Little did I know that this was a red herring.

The gift ended up being the NES- The first Nintendo Gaming system. The original. My brother and sis and I got that with mario and zelda as our total christmas gift and we were floored. I have never asked for nor wanted another video game since, although my wife took pity on my continual playing and winning at 1988's "Tecmo Bowl" that 2 years ago she got me a "game cube" to play in order to update my hobby, along with the lord of the rings game. (Ive played it maybe a dozen times, but still play the NES constantly)... which brings me to the gift I never cared for at all:

I got 5 CDs a couple years back- Get this:
    Missy Elliot
    Snoop Dogg
    Lil John and the Eastside Boys
    Bjork
    No Doubt Greatest Hits

I hate to be too stereotypical, but the gift can be summed up in 4 words:

Black-Chick-Dance-Music

I sorta felt like "Kip" in Napoleon Dynamite.

ROTFL.

20. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Bjork and NO Doubt shouldn't be in that same group, they are different types of music.