Favorite action for a fishing rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by beaneye46, Mar 28, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    whats everyones favorite action? M MH H XH
    ive got one of each, and i like my medium heavy. whats every one else prefer?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cody, I'm with you. I have several different action rods, but my prefered action is the medium/heavy. They are limber enough at the tip to see the smallest of light bites, but stiff enough in the back to haul in the hogs. I think that a hard tapping fish will shy away from to stiff a rod, because it feels to much resistance. Just my two cents. Vern

3. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i agree with MH

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the M/H for Flatheads but we don't have the monsters here in Pa. like some other states where I might want the H action rod.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    IMO, Medium Heavy is the only way to go.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Med. Heavy for me too. I like a fast tip for channels and DK's med/h got a fast tip and a strong back bone.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    if i need bite detection i like m/h with a moderate taper.for big fish i like heavy action fast taper. which action and taper i use also depends onb the kind of water i am fishing"open water vs. water with structure.you can whip a big fish with light action and slow tapers if you get him in open water.

8. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I Got To Go With M/h

9. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I love lever actions! . . . hmmmmm . . . .oh . . . in fishing rods . . .

Mostly MH with a few heavy action rigs.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    All depends on what I'm fishing for. If I'm fishing punch or dipbait for channel(over chum or not) I prefer an 7' ML with a moderate action. Like was mentioned above, I also believe the fish "feel" a stiff rod. Still looking for my dream punchbait rod...........really limber tip, but with enough backbone to haul channels out of timber pronto!!

For my flathead fishing I really enjoy the M Tiger rods, the tip is limber enough to see your bait move it but the backbone will let you pressure the fish. Took me less than 3 minutes to "winch" a 50+ bluecat to the boat last year with a Tiger and a Penn 320LD.

For cutbait on KS fish a MH composite will cover all my needs that direction.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me, the type of fishing will be the main sticking point. The MH will work for the fishing I was doing when back in MS and GA. The need for heaver gear while here is something else. The Catfishing applications will be much different in the USA than here in Europe. The rods used for lure fishing are much different as they are rated in either line weight or grams for the weight of the lures. When Lure fishing for fish that I know may be large, I have rods that are rated to 120 grams. I also have rods for light lures that are 20 grams for smaller fish. I have feeder rods that are rated to 120 grams casting weight and have caught Carp to 15lb. on them without a problem. Match the rod to the type of fishing that you are doing.

HOPPY4

12. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    for channels md/hvy lightning rod pro graphite...not to stiff not to soft

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    MH is what I prefer.

14. catd11rnky

catd11rnky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    medium heavy works good here in ky

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Same old answer here also, M/H.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    MH does it for me

17. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    With the longer rods you can have a heavy backbone with a med- med light tip. Ugly makes a 10' with a light tip and creaps down to a heavy butt. Same with Fennwick mooching rods. I love the light tip and power in the back bone.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like a heavy action rod. Although it's hard to beat a good MH rod all the same.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Are we talking power and calling it action? I thought action came as Extra fast,fast,medium,slow,etc.to show where the rod does most of it,s bending.I thought power was from ultra lite to X-tra heavy,and told how strong the rod was.NOW!! I have only thought like this since reading page 76 of my new "Cabela's MASTER 2006 FISHING" catalog.All my life,I thought like beaneye.Action" meant "rod strength,or stiffness" to me.I have read many things that were wrong.We have some rod builders out there that may be able to answer this question.What is ACTION and what is POWER in a rod?peewee-williams

20. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Generally I prefer medium heavy rods for casting unless I use plugs.