Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

favorite accessory?

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  metalman 
#1 ·
whats your favorite fishing accesory on your boat when it comes to catfishing from your boat?

Reactions: metalman
#2 ·
That’s a tough one.
The obvious first thing I like to have on the boat is Mrs. Bush!
After that, I suppose it depends on the circumstances at the time.
If it’s raining or bright sun, the Bimini top would be at the top of the list. If i’m anchoring a lot then the anchor lift ball is the star. At other times, the HB sonar unit or the trolling motor both feature. On the trolling motor itself, the auto compass is very handy but my absolute favorite TM feature is the sliding speed control on the foot pedal. It allows very fine adjustments to get drifting speed just right whereas the ten clicks on the keyfob remote often are just a half-click off.
If I get snagged while drifting, my go-to gadget is the 6” piece of oak dowel I use to wrap the braid around to pull free.
I like to think that everything on the boat is there for a specific purpose and if it’s needed it gets its time at the top of the list.

…W

#6 ·
Here's a cheapy. I tape a little piece of candy bar wrapper or whatever paper-like material I have handy on the side of my anchor light so that it doesn't beam me directly in the eye. I also like my basic, plastic fish grip. Never had much luck with the fancy cam style grips.
Really like my bait cooler too, I attached my filet knife to the side of it and the top doubles as a cutting board.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
From a non swimmer who has been ejected from a boat. ( hit a cylinder from out of a water softener. why it was in the river IDK
And didn't have a working kill switch but was lucky enough to grab the side of my boat as I was going over the side. And was able to pull the gas line out of my outboard it takes a while for a motor to run out of gas going in circles . It was a Tiller I always have my life vest on and kill switch
(Working and tested on

#14 ·
From a non swimmer who has been ejected from a boat. ( hit a cylinder from out of a water softener. why it was in the river IDK
And didn't have a working kill switch but was lucky enough to grab the side of my boat as I was going over the side. And was able to pull the gas line out of my outboard it takes a while for a motor to run out of gas going in circles . It was a Tiller I always have my life vest on and kill switch
(Working and tested on
scariest thing ive had happen was flipping the yak in a nasty logjam....didnt need it but the lifejacket sure felt good!

#15 ·
I've never been ejected, but I've had a couple CLOSE calls with falling in the river. 2 years ago, I was at ft. Washington on the Potomac, big water ...mid winter, COLD out ,COLD water. Took my life vest off for a min to eat, had my net hanging over my front boat seat (up on casting deck, I've got a little 16' flatbottom with a deck up front).

Like a knucklehead, I climbed up onto the deck at the front of the boat to grab something, lost my balance, as I was falling I instinctively grabbed out and got lucky and grab a handful of the net. By the grace of God, the seat pedestal mount held, because I was full weight backwards hanging off the side of the boat. Current was ripping, nobody around, out in the channel.

I got back on the deck. Sat down for a couple minutes to calm my nerves down, packed it up and drive the 3 .5 hours home in the quiet ,thinking about how close I just came to leaving my family without a dad. Get choked up thinking about it to this day.

Couple other times I came close to falling iut at night, but always with a vest on. Still a scary propect. The waters I fish can be pretty lonely at night. Even if you had enough energy to swing to shore without hypothermia, once you got to the bank, the battle would just be starting. Thick, steep banks and a long walk through thick stuff just to get to a house.

Gives me chills just thinking about it.

So yeah....love my damn vest.

#16 ·
Be hard to fish without a gps trolling motor after getting used to it. Had a wireless for years and boated plenty of good fish but didn't have the spotlock and trip record feature. Upgraded to one with spotlock a few months ago and wish I'd did it sooner.

I could probably use some type of sonar/gps graph but my Navionics phone app seems to be all I need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.