Favorite Abu?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mhbomber, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I fish in a river with decent current a lot and cast out 2 to 6 oz of lead at times. Most of my decent fish are in the low teens but I have the potential of catching fish in the 40 + class. I am looking at buying an Abu reel and a rod of some sort. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO, I think the Abu Garcia 6500c3's will do whatever you need. I've caught several fish in the teens and low to upper 20's with it with no problems at all. I run 30# Big Game Mono on it and I love it. I have 3 and am getting ready to buy a 4th.

If you are fishing really deep water and want to cast a mile I'd go with the 7000. I don't have one but my 6500c3's have done the job just fine so I'll stick with what works. I'm getting ready to put a matching pair of the 6500 c3's with a power handle and 40# mono on a 7' Daiwa Beef Stick Heavy action rod. One of my buddies on here has the same setup and it works great!

I also bank fish the Ohio and Big Sandy Rivers and fish some deep spots and have had no problems with the 6500c3's and 30# mono. I just want to switch to the 40# on 2 with the Beef Sticks because I know of a spot that 40 & 50lb'ers are caught regularly.

If you buy a 6500c3 I promise you won't be sorry!!!:wink::cool2:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    any abu 6500 and above you can;t go wrong with. I have several of the 6500c3 and also a 7000b and a 9000 and they all wok great. No complaints at all. I say go out to a dealer and pick them up and see which one feels right to you.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I started out with a 7000 for my first Abu and I'm happy with my decision. No matter where I go or what I fish for that 7000 will handle it.

We use lots of 6500 and they are ok but there is no 6500 that's rated to hold heavy line. For me, I fish for Stripers and cats. If I use a 12" gizzard shad or trout for bait you bet it needs to be on that 7000. It sounds like a 6500 will be fine for you in your situation and the c3 is my choice.

I would choose a reel by the Lb test line you want to use, line capacity you will need, and the cranking ratio. Either way both are excellent reels.

A good rod to me is one that wont break , LOL.

-Jim-

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    5500 is to small for the river and 6oz on reg basis. go with 6500 or even the big 7000. they both are great choices. i have 10 abus from 5000 to 6500. love em all.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    7000c3i are an excellent reel and will last a life time if well maintained. If you are going to need more line capacity I would suggest this reel. I have a few and love them.

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok , I'm not trying to promote this reel just because I have one but most people know little about them nor do a lot of places sell them. Check out the Abu Garcia 7000ihsn.

Its a perfect reel that's a 7000 but the spool is smaller than the other 7000's. Good thing it has all the goodies a regular 7000 has including a awesome loud clicker. Its a heavy duty reel, strong as nails but it's just smaller in size than other 7000's but bigger than the 6500's. On top of that I think its a handsome reel.....even with the herring scales all over it ; )

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2313.jpg

-Jim-

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would highl suggest a Catfish Safari River Rod and an 7000 size Abu of the 7000 my favorites are the 7000iC3 and the 7000iCS pro rocket.

if you ahve slow to moderate current You could get away with an Abu 6500 but large fish in anything more then moderate current the 6500 will be over matched.

both rod and reel are avaliable from Catfish Safari a BOC sponsor

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm real fond of my 7000ics Pro Rockets, great reels.

10. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Thanks for the input guys. I went to check some of the reels out last night and had a guy highly recomend the Penn 9M. He said it was nothing fancy but it was an extremely powerful reel designed for casting out and letting it sit. I am still partial to the Abu's but the Penn is half the price. Any thoughts?

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    We have one, a older one, but I avoid it unless the rod bends over. Don't get me wrong they are very good reels and built to last.

I just like the Abu's, my own personal thing. If ya want a good reel at a cheaper price by all means..try one out. I just think they are more of a " plain " reel. Abu to me has more features than the Penn 9 will.

-Jim-

Ps, consider buying 2 Penn's then ; )

12. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Thanks Jim. I have really fell in love with Abu's. We have two that are about 20 years old and my cousin brought a 6500 down here to fish last week...I loved it. I am looking at the 6500 c3, the 6600 c4 and the blue cat reels. Cant decide what I like. BTW..my cousin lives down in Anderson and does a lot of fishing down that way. I have been fishing with him a few times on Hartwell and Clark's Hill for stripers and sometimes cats.

13. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    You cant go wrong with the 6500. It is a all around reel.

14. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I agree I love my 6500 reels.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    penns are cheaper buit i had several. there just to bulky and i sold them. i got every abu i have from ebay or on clearence. never paid full price for one of them. try online auctions. you can get lightly used abus cheaper than new.:wink:

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like $$$ is going to play a big part in your decision no one can blame you for that. why spend too mutch hard earned coin on something that your not shure if its what you want. witch is why your asking us who already have:embarassed::tounge_out::roll_eyes::wink:. the general purpouse penns 9,209,309 are fish winches, big with a slow retrieve like jim said cast and sit reels their slow retrieve and laque of cast controll makes rebaiting a chore but if you get a biggun on he better give up now. Abus are easy operators but you pay more for it. like brad said depending on your water you may get away with a 6000 size but too mutch current and the fish is going to have the advantage. I got a 20# flat in good current on a 6500c3 and an ugly cat rod and i had to thumb him pretty good. I'd trust that combo to catch 40+# fish, it has, but that flat made me feel under gunned. I put carbontex drag (30% stronger) on my 6000 and a power handel and i like it better than my 6500c3. so you may want to spend more on 7000 size abu for more drag, line cap., and cast controll. The best reel ive found is the pflueger contender. better than abu or penn:eek:oooh: bet ill hear about that but try one and tell me different and I'll.......rotflmao:wink:

17. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Gotta love the pfluegers. I,personally,am in love with my new shakespeare arsenal. Like a tidewater,w/ gear reduction. Try what you like,thats the way.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    as far as a rod what do want 6' 7' 8' 10' 12' ? catfish safari definatly has some of the best rods its true. but they may not be in the price range you want to spend or the lenght you want....witch is