FAVE KNOT

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BIG_D, Aug 16, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    just wondering whats your fave knot to tie or should i say witch knot works best for you i have used the berkly knot for years ben playing with a few simpler ones latly but keep going back to the berkly knot :wink::cool2:

2. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The Palamar knot! It won the knot wars on a fishing show in both braid knots and mono knots. It was the only knot tested that didn't slip with braid! The knot that tested second strongest was the Eye Crosser knot. It tested equal with mono but it slipped with the braid. It is also very easy to tie.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Learn to tie the Palomar, Snell and dropper loops and that will cover 99% of your fishing. I use the palomar for all straight eye hooks, strongest knot for that type hook in my opinion. I use the snell knot for all off set eye hooks, strongest knot for that hook as well as you will get a better hook up %. Also use the snell for the upper hook on some of my 2 hook rigs. Also use dropper loops combined with a palomar when using a different setup. These are my favorite three knots and they are all easy to learn to tie. Heres a link that makes it easy to learn.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    been using the trilene knot for years seems to do ok for me although there may be better knots

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the palamar is about the easyest for sher and it does holed i use it for braid as well

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for the link johnny

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    palomar knot for me, then snells on the off set hooks.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Snell all the hooks and everything else is a cinch knot.

9. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer to snell my hooks and use a palomar for everything else.

10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I Do The Same Works Everytime:big_smile:.

11. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I was tying a palomar knot for most knots, but after having a few break at the knot I did some searching. I ended up with a double palomar knot. Same as the basic palomar knot only instead of doing a single overhand knot, I take the loop back through it again. Then hook or swivel through the end loop as normal. Its just a smidge harder to cinch up as you have 2 twists instead of one. I have yet to break a double palomar at the knot.

I do tie some snells but mostly prefer to tie right to the end of my line with no hardware. Less things to catch and snag. That way if I do break off I'm just out a hook or 2 and my sinker.

12. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I agree - the Palomar is all I use to tie my line and leaders to a swivel. I also use a snell knot to tie my hooks to the line. I routinely tangle with 30 pound and larger catfish (up to 58 pounds so far) and never had a knot slip. I have lost line to underwater hazards due to breakage but not to knots.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    seems palomar is winning the votes on knots and it is probly the simplest of knots as well

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use different ones but Palomar by far my favorite.

15. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i use improved clinch for cat'n , clinch , rapala knot and others for my trout fishing .

16. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the palomar knot hands down , its fast and strong.

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i tend to agree with the palomar being the best knot exspeshaly sins im now useing 20# line the places i had axsess to in nc. all i needed was 8# line i always used the berkly knot and was always satisfide with it but i swiched to the biger line hear as i have a chance of hooking much nicer fish than i ever have in my life i was useing the berkly knot on the heavy line and got hung up a few times and my line would come untied at the hook i never had this prob befor so im thinking the heavy line wont let it sinch down like the light line does so thats it berkly knot out palomar in thanks brothers you have all ben a lot of help:wink::cool2::smile2:

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    jhonny thats a good site it was a big help thanks agen brother

19. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Palamar almost exclusively!

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ummmmm I'm not sure what to put here. I don't know the name of the knot I use. Its kind of a cross between the trilene and improved clinch but different then either one. Anyone that has ever seen me tie a hook asks me why and how i tie them the way I do. What ever it is it works really good. I have caught several #20-#30 and even a #40 cat using it. Not once have I broke or came untied even when using braided.