Father's day @ Roosevelt Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GETHOOKED, Jun 17, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    well got out there around 5pm, got some bait and headed up river. Came upon the crowd, so I hung up and the first bend in the salt river before it headed back to the mud banks. Had a little feeder creek to my left, so anchored up in mid-channel--6 feet, with 2 feet to the port, and 8 feet on the stern. Set the gills out and proceeded to enjoy a calm and cool evening. Had a run about every 4 hours, caught all takers. Ended up with 3 babies, all right around 5 lbs. Great night, but the bigguns I think are laid up!! HOpe you all had good luck and a great father's day. Here are some of the pics of the little cuties.

Attached Files:

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Thats awesome! Nothing better than a quiet evening. I found took to fishing a spot downstream of the diversion dam that was ALOT quieter than upstream. Only one run serious run all night though, and landed him, 37lb flathead off a sunfish in three feet of water. Really shallow water and less action, but I'll trade that for some peace and quiet any day.

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Great job antoino, was it as crowded as you thought it was going to be? I hesitated on taking the boat out, but opted to after your advise. I am glad you atleast got into one nice fish. CPR?! right? I hate to tell you that I ended up making those little rascals dinner tonight. I put them on the grill with some olive oil, basil, parsely, garlic, lemon and a beer for the old man!! They were great!!! ANd it is nice to actually take home some fish to prove to the wife that I actually do catch fish, and it is all not a joke!!! I do think I would have traded three dinks for one nice 30+ thought. Nice post glad to hear your trip was nice!!!

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Oh yeah, cpr'd completely ok. I love to keep them 10lbs and under, I cannot resist the breaded catfish. The people were definitely there, but I could tell it was not the busiest it has been, maybe because people were staying home for the holiday. I also threw around a large crankbait early in the morning. On my fourth cast, I pulled in a 14" channel cat. He hit it three feet from the bank. Then, about ten casts later and 30 feet upriver, I hooked into something I couldn't handle and lost it a minute into the fight. I will miss the crankbait, but its my fault fishing near big flatheads with 8lb test line. Next time i will be throwing them at em with 25lb.

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great addition with the crank. I plan on getting up there in the next month or so, depending on the wife and work. I will keep ya posted if I get back out.

6. akleader

akleader New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hopefully you will get back out soon. I think I did see ya. You would have passed me on your way in. I wish I could have made it to the cliffs but....no luck. I started to feel the muck (< 1 foot deep all the way across). I know most Flatties are in spawn (or coming out of it). Will the big Flatties frequent the areas you (& I) were fishing? I assume they would....

One more ? - Do you notice that the bite is "off" during the full moon phase?

I will send you some spots once I have enough posts to send a PM. Not sure what the deal is w/ that!

Thank you!

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on the fish guys bith big and small. I cant wait to get back to the states and get on the water myself.