Father's Day Envy

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Matthew72, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I wont be getting any gifts from a son or daughter this year. I am 34 and still unmarried. I have a wonderful Girlfriend and hope ,one day, to marry her. I just want a son/daughter with which to go fishing.This time of year always get to me. My brothers have kids and my friends have kids. I look forward to the day I can take my boy/girl out to the lake for a day of fun and relaxation.Everyone says that it aint all that fun once yo get there but I do look forward to it.

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's a great feeling when you watch your kids smile when they catch one. It's definitely something to remember! I'm sure you'll be there before you know it. When you do, let us know how it went.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is great to take your child fishing, but also very sad when they get older and have other interest and dont want to fish anymore..If you ever have kids enjoy them while they are young, dont wait till they become teengers:angry:

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Take your neices and nephews fishing sometimes and they just might get you something for Father's day. The best part is you can take them back home when you get tired of them.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It's great to take your kids out and enjoy the outdoors with them. My son and daughter really enjoy bowfishing, catfishing, camping and just about anything to do with the outdoors. This summer my son is finishing up his work on his Eagle Scout Rank for the Boy Scouts. I'm so proud of him. Very few boys make it to acheive the Eagle Rank. He also made the honor roll for the 5th time this year!! But if you don't have kids get your neices and nephews and take them out.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I will tell you this with all my kids grown and gone, I miss being able to do that so much it is not funny.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not to make you feel worse, but dont know who "everyone" telling you it aint fun. I have a ball everytime I take my 6 yo out. Just watching him catch bluegill and bass is funner than reeling in a lunker for me...

You could also look into Big Brother/Big Sister.. There are hundreds of kids from single parent homes looking for someone to do things with, look up to, and spend time with....

8. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I believe that we men all have a tendency to look back and have regrets in one way or another. Matthew72, you have a future ahead of you and you are already aware of what kind of father you want to be. Way to go!

I never really fished with my 3 boys. We did a lot of other family things together, but not fishing. Unfortunately my kids are all grown and scattered about and busy with their own lives. I too have regrets, but I sure do get a kick out of watching other dad's fishing with their kids.

I will add this.. I have already learned that fishing is a great excuse to share conversation, silence, and personal space. It's an opportunity to learn and to teach. And most of all it's a memory maker. You dad's out there... enjoy your kids. Take em' fishing!

Make those memories!

9. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I do love takin them fishin. I am so glad yall added the posts yall did, I feel better about thangs already.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try a big brother thing or maybe your local church knows a single mother with a son who could use your time and if you find the right kid you have a chance to really make a difference in a human being. Now thats big stuff.

Nothing in life can mean as much as the feeling you get when you give of yourself to others and it works. It is a shame that there are many who take advantage but just weed them out and fish on.

I bet you make a great dad someday in the mean time today is gone at midnight.

Danny

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Been there done that but know have 2 kids (boy 37 & daughter 34). Enjoyed taking them fishing with me and they did grow away from fishing for a few years but now they fish regular. When they come home we usually go fishing.
    Many memories. My wife and I now have fishing fellowship where we take kids of all ages fishin, 4 to 92. You might what to grab a neighborhood kid or 2 of a single parent family and take the along on a trip. They will enjoy it and so will you. But let this be a warning, they will probably bug you to go again. Fathers Day is not so much about what you get but about what you can give.
    You sound like you are a good guy and some day you'll be a good father.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Matthew, fishman said it - try big brothers/big sisters......lots of kids would love to go with you that are unable to go otherwise

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Great idea Fishman!

There is no greater reward than to see a child with a smile and happy. To know that you make a difference is priceless.

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Well bro, my oldest just graduated today from high school. His sister follows him next year.
    I will miss the outter joy of hanging out and fishing with him.
    Naw, we don't always get along,but, today was "my little payday" for all the long hours, terrible jobs I'd worked, and just plain hard things I had to do for him.
    I feel like I was paid back tenfold today. I'm so proud of him.
    Nope! I wouldn't trade the world and 10 lottto jackpots for any 1 of my children.
    Yep,bro you're missin out,
    sorry