Father & Son Hunting Times

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by H2O Mellon, Nov 22, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My dad & grandfather (mother's father) have been hunting in the same hollar in Hocking County, OH for the last 30 years (since aprox 1975). They built the 1st cabin in aprox '76 or '77. This year is the 1st year that neither of them will be there. My grandfather is too bad to get out & my dad was told by the doctor that he cant go until he gets better. I don't think I ever heard such sorrow from him before. My brother in law & BOC Mbr Flathunter (along w/ myself) will be there this weekend, then it's just Flathunter & I on Monday, then I may hunt Tue morning. It's sad but for the 1st time 30 years the cabins will be empty. I have alot of stuff to do at work & can not take the week off this year.
    I've tucked my two youngest kids in bed (two year old twins) & my oldest (six year old) decided to stay the night w/ my mom & dad, my wife doesn't get home until am, so I'm sitting here thinking of the memories that I have in regards to hunting with my dad. My 1st hunting memory is of him & I hunting squirrel. I remember I was probably 9 years old or so, we both at a fox squirrel. My dad told me to stay sitting down & keep my eye on a tree out in front of me. I found the squirrel, of course I had missed it, his shot in the one that killed it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him pick something up & lay it on a log & placed a branch in front of it. At first I didn't know what he was doing, but I soon realized that he wanted me to keep turned around from him, because he was laying that squirrel up for me to shoot. He came back & said that we must not have hit the squirrel because he couldn't find it. A few minutes later, sure enough he got all excited & told me that he saw one, it was laying on a log. He had me turn around, pointed it out & I shot it (pretty sure I had my .22lr). He jumped up, all excited, he was trying to do the same for me, I did, I acted like I had no idea he put it there. And to this day, probably 20-22 years later, I've never told him any thing different.You see, he was trying to make me happy. He didn't want me to leave empty handed. My dad has always been like that. He would always put himself before me, he'd do anything to help me out, get me out of a mess, he's ten times the dad that I am. Man, we've had some good times at our cabin. The week of deer gun season was like a holiday. It was Christmas for us, we played poker all week long, he drank beer, I drank pop, we laughed, we raised heck, I'm looking back now, I had no idea how special those times were, that was quality time. My dad told me of the last few years his dad got to go down there deer hunting, he was so bad that they made special fixed stand right off the road for him, so that a Jeep or truck could take him w/in 1 foot of the stand. I'd had done anything to spend one deer season w/ the both of them. One of my favorite all time stores is the "BIGGEST BUCK I'VE EVER SEEN" story involving my dad. I was probably 15-16 years old or so. I was inside the cabin, w/ my grandfather and some of the local guys. My dad comes in huffing, puffing, seeming to be ready to fall over, says "I just shot the biggest buck I've ever seen". The way he acted this thing was 300# & a 20 point buck. He said he knows he hit it, but cant find it. he says it was 100-120 yards away. He was using his model 686 .357 S&W. So everyone is all excited, man, we're all going to give up the next day of hunting to find this deer. That's how big it was..... well that's how big my dad remembered him to be.We couldn't find it anywhere. If memory serves me right it either snowed or rained that night. We gave up looking for it. My dad was heartbroken. Well later the next day, our buddies come over on their ATV's. Marion (a buddy) tell my dad, "Phill were you using Black Talon's?" My dad was amazed, he was using Black Talon bullets. Marion had found the deer. The bullet was just inside the hide. He showed dad the bullet. A few minutes later, his son, Doug came over on his ATV, w/ a deer on the back of it. Sure enough it was dads deer. "The Biggest Buck I've Ever Seen" ended up being a small, very small basket rack 8 pointer.I've included a pic I just took a few minutes ago of the rack. I put a pop can on the rack so you can realize the size. That rack is hanging in my house & I wouldn't trade it for The Beatty Buck's Rack. Man, every year, someone will start talking about "The Biggest Buck I've Ever Seen". We go through the same story for an hour. It' been like that since the year he shot it. :p
    I guess it's hard to sit back & watch those that you care about get older, knowing there's not a thing you can do. My dad's a tough guy, a former Marine, not only that but he was a boxer while in the Marines, this guy can take pain better than anyone I know, but lately he's been going through so much & has been in tremendous pain. I've wished a hundred times that I could trade places w/ him. I guess it's just part of life, right? Part of God's plan.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FYI: The thing in the middle of the rack is the Black Talon Bullet he was using.

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Neither my Father or his Father were very big into hunting. My dad sold his guns when I as born, as his father had done with him. The only thing that I ever did with either of them is fish. Grandpa passed a month ago, and I can still look on the shelf and see those old lures, and antique fire collectibles he gave me before he died. I actually think I miss the old man.

Ray

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Great post, Mellon. I know it's hard to see your dad growing older and slowing down, and I guarantee you it's just as hard on him, knowing that he isn't able to do the things that he's always done, and still wants to do. As we go into the Thanksgiving holiday, there are many things for which we can be grateful, and good health, for those who have it, is one of them. A person who leads an active life, then encounters bad health, has a tough row to hoe. It can be very difficult to deal with. Keep up your support of him and your grandfather; let them know you understand and will be there for them.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Bryan!

6. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ya ya its great being a kid.....i recently last year got my first deer :) one of my best days of my life!! i like hunting with someone besides myself...o and i love it when me and my gramps always go fishing cause i dont no its just fun hehe

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Great post Mellon. Sure brings back some memorys. My father and grandfather wasn't much into hunting but grandpa and me were always into something. He used to take me fishing down the road in a large creek. The bad thing was the dairy farmers cows used it for a watering hole. So we usaully caught more cow patties than fish. But I always had a blast just being with him. I was always helping him with the garden or cutting firewood or tinkering with a car or tractor. Of course if grandma knew half of the stuff he taught me she would have beat both of us with her old broom. Like shooting the birds off the bird feeder with a bb gun or rubbing terpintine on all those cats behinds to get rid of them. It was hard for me when he got to the point that he could hardly walk. But I know it was even harder on him. He was not one for just sitting around. There was always something that needed to be done. I spent more time with him than my father. It was really hard on me when he passed ten years ago. All I can say is spend as much time with them as possible. Even if they can't do the things they used to. Because one day all that will be there is the memories. So make as many as you can while you can.