Fathead Minnows - Early Spring Cutbait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by comanchero, Mar 31, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    They say you learn something new everday and this spring has taught me a lot of new lessons. Here in Minnesota we are just now losing the last of our snow and ice and the water temps are still in the low 40's. This week we had our first good spring rains and they are helping to chase away the ice and snow. Normally I don't start catching cats until the middle to late April when the water temps finally get into the 50 degree range. Early in March a friend showed me a good channel cat bite in Minneapolis and shared his technique for catching early season Mississippi cold water channels. He downsizes his bait and goes to a small hook (#2 circle hook). He buys a scoop of fathead minnows at the local bait shop for a couple of bucks and just strings 2 or 3 fatheads on the hook. He will usually pinch off the end of the minnow to get the juices and entrails of the fathead to create some scent. He catches channels one after the other on this small bait offering. I didn't believe it until I caught a few myself and now I am a believer. I'm thinking if they work good in the spring cold water they should work all year. I plan on adding them to my normal bait assortment when I hit the water. Here is a picture of one early season Minnesota Mississippi channel.

Attached Files:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hmmmmm............Interesting, me thinks

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I catch a lot of channels on shiners while I am crappie fishing year round. Minnows are an excellent bait for channels.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Glad to here this news! The local bait store only has minnows & nightcrawlers right now and i'm going fishing toworrow!

5. matthewjoel

matthewjoel New Member

I cant wait to catch my first big one of the season!!!

6. matthewjoel

matthewjoel New Member

I wish we had a bait shop around here....none to be found!!!!

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice way to start off. Thanks for sharing.

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good tip Steve,
    been trying fatheads out for the last 4 trips. thing should start ramping up with the rising water and temps.
    thanks for sharing
    Larry

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yea i wish we had one in raton nm lol all they sell are nightcrawlers no minnows i have to catch my own with a little dipnet.

10. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i'll definately try fatheads this weekend

11. mudman

mudman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only way around here is to throw a cast net.

12. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Fatheads work without doing anything to it.. all you have to do is hook the fathead.. worked today!