Fast one -cheap easy fast working catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Ga Fisher, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ga Fisher

Ga Fisher New Member

State:
    Camilla,Ga
    alrighty...another question please

whats a good , cheap, easy , fast working bait to use for fishing for kitties?

stuff you can easily buy maybe...

thanks

Ga Fisher

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    That's a fairly simple question:
    The answer is prepared baits like Dipbait or Danny Kings punch bait or Doughbait. And you can pick your poison--there are many kinds of dip bait (which is a vile concoction like a bad diaper change, like the consistancy of Elmers glue). Cat Tracker makes a few different kinds: sewer bait and pole snatcher Then a plastic tube or a rubber worm that you push around in the dip bait till its covered and then cast it out. Most of them come with a treble hook in them and maybe a sponge on it as well. Here's what I do:
    I take off the hook and the sponge and run a long shank 1/0 or 2/0 hook in it and set up with a slip rig with a swivel but remember to rebait often cause it washes off your hook fast. Another tip is to dry it off as best as you can as it doesn't stick well to wet surfaces.

#2. is Punch bait. It's very easy--take a treble hook and with a stick push it down, pull it up and cast it out. That's it and it's great stuff.

#3. is Dough baits. This is also very easy--use a treble hook or a bait holder hook and knead the bait on it firmly and cast it out.

Of course there're many different versions of this post and I'm sure you will get other quality opinions and views. Good luck!!

3. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Good old chicken liver:)

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

Yep............and you can always try worms! If the cats aren't biting, you may catch some gills or......forgive me....bass. :rolleyes:

5. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    you can always try worms,yep almost forgot those:) warm weather I never go out without them.

6. Iceman Cometh

Iceman Cometh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    one thing I tried last summer was to take any can of cheap catfood, some cheap cheddar cheese, a little vegetable oil and a box of corn muffin mix. Blend in a blender ther catfood, oil, and cheese and then keep adding small amounts of the muffin mix until you get the right consistency. Use this mixture with dipbaits. the longer it sits the better it gets. If your state allows chumming, soak some corn (regular can of corn/seed corn) in strawberry koolaid for a few hours. then pitch this slightly ahead of where you're going to cast your bait. The current will drift it slowly down stream. Its also good when you're chumming in this manner, to take a small hook and put a couple of kernels of the "koolaid corn" on it and cast it out as well.

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    An old friend of mine never buys anything before he leaves the house.Where he lives you can get smoked and salted herring in the deli of most grocery stores.
    He will buy a package of the herring and then go to the frozen bread section of the store and buy a pkg. of frozen biscuit dough.
    When he gets to his fishing spot he slices a piece of biscuit,kneeds in some herring and puts it on a treble hook.Really stinks good.
    Rarely see him come home empty,but most fish are only one to three lbs.
    Where I am here I never see the herring or I would try it in this area.
    Oh yea,he eats what herring he does'nt use.Have to stand away from him a bit when you talk to him.:)

BILL

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Two of the best ready-to-use baits I've found in the store are bacon and salt pork. Chitlings are good too, but I want to be able to put garlic, shrimp, or some other flavoring on them overnight before using them.

Cured chicken livers take a day or two to prepare, but they will keep for a year or more in the fridge.

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    If your pond fishing its definettly chicken liver or nightcrawler. But if your fishing a river substitute chicken liver for beef liver. its bloodier and tuffer and once it get spoiled its works awesomely

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    get chicken livers add garlic powder and powdered cool aid

11. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i have never used but about 4 years ago i was at a park and i seen an old black man slaying channel cats one after another for over an hour.i decided to go ask him what he was using and he show me a pack of cube steak he cut into 1inch squares.

12. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I agree with chicken livers. It seems to work no matter what part of the country you live in. My experiences have found that chicken livers produce 2 to1 over any other bait I have tried.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The cheapest bait i have found isn't bait. It's a $15.00 castnet. With that 1 time investment you catch your bait and use it live or cut into pieces. You will catch bigger fish as well.

14. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio

used a castnet last year and will never not have one as long as i fish

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    got a castnet last year and prolly threw it about a million times, i now know about 3-5 miles of the stillwater like the back of my hand for catching bait

16. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I know this is like tottaly wrong and I have thought about it a great many times but never used it........

We have a sewege outlet on the Ebro, I fish well away from it but some love catching them catfish and carp and zander and roach and bleak, in and around its structure.

There cant be a bait cheaper and easier and as regular than your own, you could dry cure, smoke, even sun bake your own arkensaw steamer beans.

getting it to stay on the hook wont be easy as its no danny king stick bait, maybe you cound pop it nylons. or go on a diet in order to achieve optimum consistency, maybe even boyancy?

This has baffled me for sometime about the amonia and the active enzymes in home grown that attract and stimulate fish to feed with such ferocity

I would never use dog you know what either as for pocket money I used to clear the yard from our dogs, man I used to reach and wretch.....

I remeber sea fishing in the port of Hiraklion the open sewers to the sea were chock ablock with mullett and other bigger fish that we could not recognise?

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great post Catbusster

18. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    get chicken liver add some garlic salt to toughen it up leave the lid off outside and on a hot day about 3hrs later itll b nice and ripe have pulled in several 8-10# cats on this the blaker the liver the bettter.

19. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    those frigadater biscuts work good if you use kipper snaks mixed in tha is if you don't eat them all before you get to the fishen hole.

20. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I agree with Truck, I've never caught any big cats on it but alot of eaters. :smile2: