Fast Current Fish retrieval

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Sep 11, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Went out for a couple hours last night alone and fishing a 12-16 oz current. Been here before but reminded once again how much of a struggle it can be to pull in a nice fish in these conditions. Once they start coming to the top it can almost be like trying to waterski a log in, gaining that last bit of ground by yourself to get the fish boatside close enough to grab. Any tips I am overlooking?

Started off slowly with an 8 pounder to show for my efforts, was minding my business fishing with no bites for a while them WHAM! While fighting this fish two more poles slam! It was a circus for a while by myself. Got the 30 pounder in, then grabbed pole 2 and got it in, then pole 3 and got it in! WOO HOO!

Fished for 15 more minutes with no bites and reeled up as momma just got home from an out of town trip. I guess a school of fish cruised through my spot. Lots of action all at once!:big_smile:

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Rod tips high, reel fast and hard, try to get them to the top so they can't dive in to snags... atleast that is what I hear grandpa scream in my ear everytime I get a nice one on, he doesn't even have to be fishing with me anymore and I still hear it! :wink:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Christopher but that doesn't work in the Mississippi in a fast current, for me anyway. It seems better for me when I slow down just a bit on the pressure when they get closer to the boat to keep them under. Once they start coming to the top the current really pulls on em making the retrieve much more difficult. I don't suppose you can overcome the physics of fast current and drag on a fish but wondered if I was overlooking any tricks.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    If there are any tricks, I never heard of them. Most of the time I fish, it's alone, so I know what your saying. I caught a 45 below Alton one time that I would have sworn was a 90 lb'er, the way the current was on his side. By the time I got it to the boat, I liked to never had the strength to get him inside. When I did, I pretty much collapsed in the chair. It was several minutes before I could compose myself enough to weigh him and turn him loose. Afterwords, I sat there debating on whether to keep fishing or go home an rest. I ended up going home. I knew if I caught another one of any size, I wouldn't be able to get him in.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's never easy, but there is a solution. Scoop the fish up with one of these.. :crazy:

Attached Files:

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I thank this is what Ryan was talking about the other day Skip, in that thread about rod holders. Don't get me wrong I like your high rod holder, but one of his points is that without a rod holder on the rear deck you have room to bring the fish up to the back of the boat using the boat to help break the current and can net it easier.

7. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I've always heard fight 'em up,not out.Get them as close to the boat as you can,coaxing him along.Then,bring him up.It's easier than letting him use current to beat you.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't have a problem fighting a fish to the back of the boat or even netting them under the high rod rack at the back of the boat. Still a lot of current right behind the boat. Rod racks aren't the issue, just fast current. My rod rack isn't in the way of anything but thanks.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep one sure fast way. Break anchor and chase the fish down. With the boat and the fish moving at the same speed down river. Makes for a quick landing.... Although come again it's just something we deal with here on the river.:wink:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i will trade you half of my current for half of yours.. with the ohio not even moving right now that should give us both some 8oz current!!! :wink: fishing has sucked here because we dont have enough current to anchor and if there is any wind at all you cant even drift!! :smile2:

11. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    Put pole in holder. Set drag so fish won't break line. Pull anchor and let boat float. It will float same speed as fish. Makes netting fish a breeze even by yourself.

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    heck around here we havent been able to catch fish be enough to have a problem getting them in.

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have the same problem:sad2:

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Fish what the heck is a fish.I can't even buy a bite let alone catch a fish.:sad2:

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Skip that's just goes with part of the game when you fish heavy current. One thing that helps is to go up to an abu 7000 or larger mounted on a 10 to 14 foot rod. Probably wouldn't go above a 10 foot rod fishing out of a boat. This will give you the leverage from the rod and the cranking power from the reel to make retrieval a lot easier. I know you aready use power pro so you are already set on line to put pressure on the fish without breaking your line. Just putting power handles on your 6500's will help but these reels are not set up for this type of fishing like the 7000 and larger reels are. JMHO

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Maybe hit the gym and do a little weight training! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Skip put a clip on your anchor rope and go to the store and buy you one of those kids sit on bouncy ball toys tie a rope and clip to it.When you get a big fish on attach it to your anchor line and throw the anchor and retrieve fish when done idle back up and reattach anchor rope it's that easy and the only solution.I got one at Deals in Wentzville for $5 it's has spiderman on it WOHO!!!:smile2:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Just be sure your float is big enough, I've heard a few "lost anchor" stories from people using 1 gallon jugs, 2.5 gallon gas cans, and seat cushions that got pulled under from water pressure on the rope.

The advice to drop anchor is generally good, but when you are fishing alone it's a lot to deal with. You have to reel in your other lines and pull or drop anchor, all the while giving the fish a good chance to get off the hook or tangle the line into something. I seem to anchor above barely submerged wing dikes a lot, so phase 2 would be to keep the boat from drifting strait backwards, ie fire up the boat and move it a little bit while trying to keep the fish on and the line out of the prop.

In practice, dropping anchor gets a lot more complicated for a solo fisherman.

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I have an Ironwood Pacific Anchor buoy already. A lot to do all at once when alone, especially if you have other lines to reel in before setting adrift. I would only resort to that if the fish was really big and I was getting spooled.

I have found out that working the fish a bit slower as they get closer keeps them swimming below the surface and they come boatside a bit easier. Just curious if anyone had other tips. If they come to the top and waterski in 16 oz current it gets tough to gain that last bit of ground.

Thanks for the responses. Good fishing all.

20. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Hey Darryl, trying to net a fish in fast currant by yourself is a major pain… I love the flexibility in the surge rod tip but the challenge is netting them… I step down into the bottom of the boat and use a long sturdy handle on the net, the problem is keeping it from turning if the fish rolls while trying to net it. For me bringing it up the side and using the gunnel as leverage seems to work but if their still pulling drag that magical distance needed to bring it to net is challenged. I would rather struggle with that situation than add another variable with the boat drifting back while alone and a hawg on the end of the line. I’m working on the stability and control of netting the fish with one hand by trying to make a wide enough flat surface on the handle so it won’t roll.