Fast boats and bass fishermen!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I know we have kicked this thing around several times in the past, but it appears to me that it is getting worst. Sunday, I had a striper guide trip at the same time that a bass tournament was going on. Right now, there are a high number of boats on my home lake fishing for stripers and even more fishing for bass. The bass boats and their drivers bounce the crap out of us when they come by full bore. We use free lines and planer board out some 75 to 100' and every now and then, one of the bassers with cut our lines or wrap them around their prop's (which is a good thing) and strip our line off. Each year, I hope and pray that they will be considerate of other fishermen, but it appears that, that is a wishful thought.

On my guide trip, I had several come within 75' of my boat and rock the sh-t out of us. On two occassions they rocked us so bad that it jerked the bait off of my down lines. Ofcourse, every time they do this they break up the school of bait and stripers and we have to wait for them to regroup to get back on them.

I don't know what the solution to this problem is, maybe more law enforcement or education, just don't know. Do you'll ?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep, sure do. The ocean.:wink:

Dont you fret none. It will be catfishermen zooming right along with them short order. Its just over the horizon.

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mark J, we have cat fishermen with fast boats right now and they just don't do like the bass fishermen. Whether or not you believe it, we have some great people in our sport. Don't get negative on me, I need for you to keep a postive attitude, you hear!

4. BUCK

BUCK Guest

its just going to get worse there making bigger moters. they got to some how slow them.that why i dont fish norman any more. 10 years ago had bassboat cut a stringer off the side off my boat. i watch ever boat i hear now. but ive had close calls at badin too. pepole dont care anymore

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm a very positive person but also a very realistic person too.:big_smile:

6. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    it amazes me how many boats from bass boats to cabin cruisers there are on the water that have no idea how to navigate the channels....i saw a guy and his son catfishing behing the channel markers near the bank one day....there was a cabin cruiser that came between the catfisherman and the bank not once but twice ....the second time i think he wound up some 50lb braided line in his prop...there are a few out there that just dont care ,but i think there are also a lot that just plain dont know any better too......ive had a several close calls and from now on i will write their boat # down and turn them in,after being side swiped in my aluminum 14' boat 2 years ago,i have no problems turning some idiot in . bad part was ....i saw the guy and he saw me ..and he was looking at me the whole time all the way up till he swiped the side of my boat ! would of give anything if i could have caught the # on the boat

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    t know what you guys are saying some days on the water are hell it shouldnt be that way ,touranments on the river on saturdays now thats rough ,idiots everywhere :angry:

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    In several recent trips to different water, I'm amazed at the lack of consideration for others on the lakes. I'm not speaking of just the bass fishermen. After a trip to Fayette County Lake and being bombarded with waves from idiots running across the lake as fast as the boat will run, turn around then back again, I put in a call to a good friend who also happens to be a State Game Warden. I could live with in the main portion of the lake them running wide open, but when you come whipping into a cove at full throttle, cast 2 or 3 times then blast out like it was a $1,000,000 tournament in the final seconds, it borders on reckless operation. I look at these guys as the "wanna beeees", not true pro or semi pro bass fishermen, they got more boat than they have common sense.

9. davidp

davidp New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I think it is mostly the "me first" mentality that has swept this nation. My rights or privledges are more important that yours or the majority. Skiers & Jet Fleas coming within 50 feet of fisherman who are not under power...anchored driftin, etc.

We were in a tournament last year that had a bass tournament the same day. All morning we had to ask bass fisherman not to troll over our hi-visibility lines in two foot of water between us and the bank.

Watched as two separate bass boats trolled 30 feet in front of a couple who were fishing from the bank. The bass fisherman pitched their lines toward the bank like the couple wasn't even there.

Of 17 bass boats we encountered that morning only one was polite. They saw our hi-visibility lines and trolled out behind us and went around. The worst case was a bass boat that insulted our heritage and kept on a coming across our lines. They got two of our lines in their trolling motor before they stopped. I tell you it took everything I had not to bounce a two oz weight with 6/0 hook off their heads!!!

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I get that a lot down here. I have 14' jon boat, ane it seems to be more like the other guy thinks well I have a $30,000 bass rig, and you just have a $2,000 hunk of junk, so I can get as close to you as I can. One time last yaer, I was bass fishin, I was about 30 feet off the bank trollin down the bank.

I hear, you been catchin any, I reply yes, next thing I know this guy comes trollin around me, between me and the bank. Gets right in front of me and just stays in front of me like I'm not there. While he was commin aronud me, I ask if he could have gone around the other side. He says, Oh I thought you were just sittin there.

Well, I'm gettin P&*^%^ OFF, but I keep calm, and keep fishin. This guy was fishin some jigg, and I'm usein a crank bait. He never caught a fish, and I caught a lot. Wekk is wasn't long the other guy asked me what I was usein, cause he wasn't catchin any fish. So I ease up to the side of his boat, show him, then get right in front of him, he says, you know I was fishin here. I said OH I"M SORRY, I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST SITTIN THERE. And just kept on fishin.

I said all that just to say, there is a nice way, to make a guy feal like a JERK, and he'll thany you for it, every time.

11. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    let me express myself as well. What really gets me peeved is when I pass a fisherman and pull my boat to an idle till I pass maybe do this a couple of times trying to be extra considerate of those fishing and then what do you know the bass or sand bassers pay you back within 20 minutes of buzzing you at full spend then most have enough gull to waves as you are preparing to ride the bronc thats coming and keep all your poles in. :angry:

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    A friend of mine carries a sling-shot in his small boat, and has been known to fire a few egg weights at PWC's and other jerks!

There has been times I have wanted to do just that...but, the liability is just too high. You might as well have used a shot-gun if you really hurt someone!

I hate to say it, but I believe it is just going to get worse!:sad2:

Bill

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How many catfishermen that is fishing a tournament do you think is going to slow down and idle past a boat? About the same as bass fishermen. Or it is that way here.
    Not many will as its costing them fishing time. I do not even slow down for each and every boat I come to And I fish for fun. Now I will run the other side of the river away from them.
    But I will not stop and idle by each boat on the river. Shoot most days it would take me an hour to to 5 miles. AS theres boats every 300+ years.
    Now if its where I will be close to a boat.Yes I do slow down. but other then that I would rather have someone pass me up and running . Take someone that cuts it back about the time they get within 40 yards of you. And the waves are just bigger.
    Pete

PS the waves to me is more like fishing when then its rough and the wind is blowing. Not many days on the water that theres not waves.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It dont matter what horsepower you put on the back of the boat.
    You'll use every bit of whats back there and want more.
    If it runs 65 you'll be elated it runs 67.7 when you boot the ol lady out.
    If a prop company claims they can get 10 MPH more out of your motor, they'll all be lining up to buy one whatever it costs.
    It dont matter what you fish for.

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Dang Mark J, I will have to disagree with you again. I have a 150 HP Honda on the back of my boat and it can push me at 42 MPH. I have only done that once or twice. My normal crusing speed is 27 to 30 MPH and most of the catfishermen that I know do the same thing, except for those that fish out of a bass boat. Why do you think all boaters have to max out with their equipment? Let me hear about the study that you know about, stating this fact, and I know from experience that you only present the facts.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Well, the fact is really a simple one.
    Aint everybody retired like you are!:big_smile:
    I too had a water rocket. It rode alot better on air then it did on water just like a Corvette rides alot better at 120 then at 35.

When I retire I'll probally be low on the throttle too. May even go full displacement.:big_smile: I'll have the rest of my life to get where I'm going.

Why do I think boaters have to max out their equipment?
    I dont think they do. I have always promoted economical fuel efficient boats since I've been on this site. I know what prevents most people from hanging the biggest thing on stern they can. Money or financing.
    Is speed important to a heckuva alot of people? Look at the threads on this board. There is a bunch of threads of "wanting to go faster" or wished they had gone faster from the get go.

I've always said the engine companies are in bed with the manufacturers.
    Thats obvious.
    Your thread was about bass boats. Not center consoles. Yoour center console runs alot better at a slower speed then a true modern bass boat hull. They arent designed to waddle through the water.

There will always be the speed demons on water just like the interstates full of people that HAVE to drive 80.

17. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well I bass fish and catfish and I have ran into many of those guys and have been beat to death from several. But in my opinion it all comes down to sportsmanship. I true sportsman will should be consideriate of others. Also I read some wear that the driver of the boat is responsable for the wake of there boat. And I know I could not handle being charged with murder for knocking some fool out of there boat because I swamped him.

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mark J, you are right, I am retired, and I guess I have slowed down a tad. But, from a safety standpoint, I will continue to tool along at 27 to 30 MPH. It is safer for me and my clients. On Lake Norman we average about 8 deaths per year from speed and alcohol, plus maybe some drugs. This is not a one year average, but several years or more.

Someone mentioned speed in tournament situations. I fish tournaments and see some of my competitors blast off and go maxed out and I still maintain my normal speed to and from the starting place and I place in the money and go home. In seven years of tournament fishing I have only seen one catfisherman blast past me during tournament hours and he later told me he was sorry. Maybe, in the Piedmont section of NC and SC, we are just a tad laid back and considerate of others.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with speed on the open waters (main channels), but when one get into a creek or cove, it is time to pull it back. When I approach another boater in a creek and he is drifting or anchor down, I pull back to a no wake speed until I have passed them. Not only do I do this, others that I observed on a daily basis do the same thing, except for ba$$ boats or ba$$ fishermen, PWC and pleasure boats.

It is nice to live in Mayberry USA, you'll come, you hear.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    As a non-boater wouldnt it be better for them to go past on plane instead of slowing down and pushing all of the wake to you? It would probably ruin the fishing because of the noise but it would be a better ride dont ya think?

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I have ran into more of, well I have a BIGGER boat than you do, so I come first.