Farmers Almanac, do you use it as a guide?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Love Them Cats, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    If so, does it help the fishing any?

I know a lot of people use it, but I don't know if it helps their fishing any?

I was just wondering if anybody here uses it as a fishing guide and does it seem to help any?

Ken

2. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Ive seen people drop everything to fish on "peak hours" according to barometric pressure, or schedule fishing on days or nights according to the moon, but with exception to spawn times and moon cycles I can't see it making a huge difference. While I'm sure it may help, I don't notice enough of a difference to follow "fish forecasts" or "fishing calendars"... I just get out there and do my thing any time I can get off work to do it.-JMO

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Almanac does seem eerily right most of the time.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No.

I fish when I can and take what the lake gives me. It is always fun to look and see if it is right, but there are too many other factors that affect the bite.

5. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I have tried fishing on days it said would be good days and didn't catch a thing.:sad2:
    I know some people use it, but it doesn't seem to help me any?:sad2:

Any time I can get away, I go fishing.:big_smile:

Ken

6. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    iv never had luck following any of these thing i think u can catch a fish anytime so just get out there and getem

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Might as well try it. Nothing else seems to work. :haha:

8. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I use it when planting my garden

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    went by the almanac tonight,said poor fishing.all i caught was 3 small channel.but ive also done good on the poor evenings.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Fish When I Can, Whether The Almanac Says Good Or Poor Day.

11. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I'm the same way.
    If I can get away for a little while and do some fishing, I think it's a pretty good day.

Ken

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Personally this is how I see it. Fish have to feed. Generally it is recognized that there are 2 periods in the day that fish feed the best. Around sun up and around sun down.

Somewhere on any given lake fish are feeding. You can go out and fish all day and not catch a thing, yet the fish were feeding just a couple of hundred feet away from ya.

With that said, Ive fished literally 5 feet from my dad, on the same dock, using the same rig, and same bait and outcaught him 10 to 1. And I often wonder what was different.

Ive also been skunked, and come home to say the local lake report says the cats were biting on exactly what I was using.

So this leads me to fish when I get a chance, and not follow any lunar tables, no cow feeding in the pasture, no rain/coldfront patterns. And often times I catch fish when no one else is, and also get skunked when everyone else is catching fish.