Farm raised catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by thomcat, Sep 11, 2006.

1. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    my family owns a fairly large farm,,, weve been raising catties for 15 years but never sold any,,, its mostly for our recreation and occassionally food.. it is getting overpopulated so we started another pond and begun to restock it with the sunnies and crappies. but we need to start getting rid of the overflow of catties. our main pond is 200 by 50 ft wide..
    our other one is roughly the same size. the water is fed in by natural
    springs and we feed them oats, sunfish, and small crappies,,

i wanted to share this with you all because i wanted your opinions on what our next step should be in starting to sell the catties to the public.... they are quite tasty, all natural.. the sunnies and crappies are raised right at our farm from origional caught from the susquehannah...

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well start the price out 3.50 you wont get much at a fish market. people can go out and get their own so i say try that price. just talk about it with other local people. especially the elderly or younger people. they will buy because they cant physically get to the cats!

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    GO to any wally world see what they are selling them for OR better still find what they are selling them for undressed put you a add in the paper you might be surprised GOOD LUCK TO YOU:smile:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Check with your local health authorities if you are going to sell them dressed. None of the small catfish markets around my part of Texas sell them dressed anymore because of health permits and requirements, live sale only.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

see what you have to do to start a pay pond. As for selling them I have no idea.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Jerry hit it on the head! Call the health dept. and get the rules. You might think about this too. If you sell a cat and someones gets sick are they going to sue you? Insurance might be something to check on also. Sorry about the negativity but now adays someone will sue you if you sneeze wrong.
    Bill

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Or..Let ol' Buddah come fish em' out with his new Penn / G.Loomis rig!!! Heh, heh. :cool2:

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Sell them live and if the customer gets sick, blame it on the way he cleaned the fish. With fish, its a crap shoot anyway on keeping them fresh if the person isn't used to handling them. I wouldn't worry about people getting sick from fresh dressed fish, though the insurance is a good idea to protect your property and assets from personal injury lawsuits.