Farm ponds

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tkbiker, Jun 28, 2006.

1. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK i've been fishing a private lake thats loaded with catfish and i have not been able to catch one to save my life. First i was fishing on the bottom had a slid weight on there that stopped about 18" to 20" inches above my bait and just tight lining it. Did not got a bite!! So i started to fish with a bobber 6-7 foot from the bait thinking maybe im just missing the bites. been out three times with the same success...NONE! Im usually fishing 2 pole's one with a stink bait the other with a crawler and when i pull them back in they have not been messed with.
    Most of the time i fish is during the day from 5pm to 9pm
    Any suggestions???
    Is it my bait,the time im fishing , am i not close enough to the bottom,should i be in the deepest parts of the lake with a slip bobber??
    how does one use a slip bobber is there some that are better than others ive never messed with them before.

Im trying to change things up so i can answer some of my own questions here but any suggestions will greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are the fish in the pond fed????

3. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not that i know of...

4. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    try fishing a few feet off the bank. i would use liver if there channels cats..Maybe even blow up a worm with air and put the weight so it will float up off the bottom 6- 8 inches.... in the farm ponds the small ones beliveve it or not but hotdogs are killer baits for cats

5. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive caught channel cats up to 16 pounds on a chunk of hotdog in my uncles pond, i got a pic but it wont let me post it

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know in the small lakes they're spawning right now. Water temp in the one i've been going to is 80 degrees. Like slipbobber said " try a couple feet off the bank." I've been using minnows with some success.

7. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my experience with farm pond cats I have found they prefer to eat bluegill or even small bass. Most farm ponds have an ample supply of gills and therefore they become the main diet of the catfish.

Try catching a few gills in the 4-7 inch range; fish one pole with a whole live gill, fish the other with a head and gut pocket. You can also try a gill fillet - sometimes they love them.

If there are gills in the pond, I will give you my word this will work.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

try using corn and red worms even bread balls if they feed ducks there. try to use what's around the pond crickets grasshoppers and so on this might help you some.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    try some shrimp soaked in vannial extract and some more shrimp soaked in garlic powder and water.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    try something with a little more flavor. Im pretty stuck on using shrimp for those private lakes, but another reason you may not be catching is because of the spot you're fishing. move around about every 30 to 45 minutes and, yeah, maybe try midday and about 10-11 oclock pm as well. heck stay out there a night to figure out where the good holes are if you can.

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    sounds like they might be feed maybe someone is playing a joke on you

12. Zcat_izmine

Zcat_izmine New Member

State:
    ohio
    like these guys said. chickenlivers and hotdogs are killer in farm ponds,5 to 10 feet from the bank top or bottom.