Fantastic Opening Day!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 18, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    So far it hasn't been a very good season for me....until yesterday! I got married a couple years ago and moved to the city. This has made it hard to hunt like I have for years. It's a hour drive each way to my old stomping grounds, so I've spent the last couple seasons roaming around new pieces of the National Forest looking for good hunting, without much success. A lot of the unsuccessful part is my fault; I missed three with the bow and the one I hit, I couldn't find.
    Yesterday was opening day of gun season and I was desperate to get my freezer full. ( I have a blood disorder and shouldn't eat red meat but the doctors let me eat all the venison I want.) I decided to go back to a friends farm that I hunted years ago. I couldn't sleep all night trying to figure out the best place to put up my stand. I settled on a steep mountain side where 5 logging roads meet. At 8:00am I heard a noise behind me and turned to see a deer that had just stepped out of the thicket 50 yards away on to a logging road. When my 30-06 went off, the deer just dropped. I thought, HOT DAMN, a nice fat Doe. As it turned out, when I went to gut it later, it was actually a hermorphadite!! (sp) It had no gonads, but it had a penis about a foot further forward than usual, teats, and a vagina. It had a fork horn on one side and a spike on the other that grew down along it's face, almost blocking one eye.
    Anyway, twenty minutes after shooting that deer, I saw 5 Turkeys coming down the ridge the deer had come from. They were behind a big Oak, that had blown in a storm. I cranked my scope up to 6 power, picked out a neck and shot. One bird hit the ground flapping while the others flew off. Great, a deer AND a Turkey!( It had an 11 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs.) I was temped to get down but decided to stay in the stand and see what happens. Thirty minutes later I heard another commotion and turned to see a Bobcat sneaking up on a squirrel. BOOM!!! Bobcat down! I waited in the tree for another couple hours with no more action. I thought I'd gut the deer and go hang it in the barn. That's when I realized what a weird deer it was. I retrieved the Turkey, shot right through the head at 75 yards, no meat loss! Cool!!! I went down the mountain to get my friends ATV and went back to load the game. Just as I threw the deer on the back rack, I heard a noise. 25 feet behind me was a big Doe...and my gun was on the front rack of the ATV. By the time I got to it, she was gone.
    After hanging the deer and Turkey, I took a look on the far side of the property and saw a lot of tracks coming down the mountain along the fence line and crossing the fence from the neighbors property. There were also a lot of rubs. I took the tarsal glands from the deer I just hung and put them on a couple stumps, one up hill from a tree I picked out, and one downhill. An hour after settling in the stand, I looked down and saw a nice 8 pointer sneaking up to the gland 60 yards below me. I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and down he went! Well I still had two hours of daylight left so I figured I'd stay put and see what happens. The land owner has a damage permit so I knew I could shoot more deer if I got a chance. Sure enough, at 4:00pm a doe crossed the fence right behind me and gave me a great 20 yards shot. Three down! Thirty minutes later another doe came out at the same place, and met the same fate as the last one. By the time I got all three deer gutted and dragged off the mountain it was 8:00pm. What a day!!! The freezer is full, and since the land owner checked in the two antlered deer on his landowner permit, I still have my buck tags in case I run into the BIG BOY in the next couple weeks. Here are some pictures!
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00000.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00002.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00004.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00005.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00004.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00001.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00007.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00006.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Flatheadwillie/openingdaygunseason00008.jpg

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Man,

What a day you had for sure...Congrats Brother..Lots of meat there..

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Awesome day! I emailed you about thurs.
    Chip

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Was ya hunting next to a nuclear plant Willie? Now that there buck or doe or whatever it was just beats all I ever saw. Definitely a conversation piece to say the least. Congrats on such a great day out in the woods. Too bad they wasn't all like that.

5. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Congrats on such a great day of hunting.Thank you for the pics!

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hellofaday brother!!!!! nice head shot pics lol

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    i was surprised that every deer I saw after sitting all day, was by them selves. I didn't see any chasing or running deer at all. What happened to the rut?

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Willy ya jus made the country store. I printed off that freak deer and showin it to the boys in the mornin. Ya may have a blood disorder but apparently your eyes are fine by the way that big gobbler looks. Fine shootin and congrats.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks. That was one strange buck/doe. The tarsal glands were oily and stunk like any buck. You can see in the pics that it was as big as the 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer. Yea, that Ruger M77 is a fine shootin' gun. The Turkey didn't know what hit him. The first day I shot it 20 or so years ago, I shot a three bullet "Clover leaf" at 100 yards with it at the range.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Holy crap!!! Talk about pilin' them up!!! That's awesome, thanks for sharing the story. That's about as good as it gets right there. Glad you got your freezer full, now you can wait on the muy grande.

11. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    incredible day willie ,good luck toppin that one!

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    "Massacre on the Mountain"

That's a whole season worth of action there!

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    If it's brown it's down. :big_smile: Sounds like a great day. Thanks for the story and pics.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's an awsome day anyone would dream about! However, I don't know if I'd want to drag and gut that many animals in one day, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!:big_smile:

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Other than all that gutting, it wasn't that bad. The weird deer, the gobbler, and the cat, all fell just a few feet from a logging road. My buddy let me use his ATV so I could drive right up to them and drag them out. The other side of the property is too steep to even drive an ATV on. Luckily, the 8 pointer was right on the edge of a field, the first doe ran into a planted pine thicket and I was worried about finding that one until I saw it make a big loop and drop down to the field 100 yards below me. I found it 15 feet from where I left the ATV. The last doe ran down into the pines also but dropped about 50 yards from the field. Pretty easy day considering where I hunt in the National Forest usually makes for a 1 to 2 mile drag.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Congrats Willie, nice shootin on the turkey.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats I think:wink:. Yall got some weird deer over there. Ive always wanted me a bobcat but have never seen one. Great pics.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that must have been a very memorable morning ,billie looks like a freezer full.Great shot on that turkey too!.my hats off to ya on this hunt.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Darn city slickers have all the luck:wink: Just kidding man that is some awsome stuff let me know when supper is be right there:eek:oooh:..I dont think youl ever be able to top that day.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Way to go, Billie. What a great story. And those pictures are awesome!! That one freaky deer sure is weird looking....probably good you put him out of his/it's "misery"! Ha! I'd say you've definitely got your meat quota taken care of. Congrats on an incredible day hunting, and on that story to go with it!