fantastic buy

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by poisonpits, Jul 12, 2008.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    went to an auction today and got a really good deal.at least it was for me.got a hand forged gig a large antique hook and a spike head,a spike was a small speare that we shot out of a hand made launcher and was use for spearing fish under water.

Attached Files:

2. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    thats pretty cool,i use a gig when i go froging.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Dang Johnnie are you gonna start trying to spear them big cats now:eek:oooh:

4. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nope an old man named bill peters made the gig and spike and i bought them cause i use to spend hours on end watching him work over his forge.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Then they are a great sentimental find as well as a great collectors find.

Congradulations.

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Great looking gear. I got a passion for that homemade stuff myself. You know the quality is there.

7. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats on some great buys, and thats why you go to those auctions. lol And a special addition to your collection. Can't wait to see them. :big_smile:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is some pretty interesting stuff, thanks for sharing

9. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Great find for sure! Old tackle is just plain fun and how many old memories go with them. Last month I got a real winch outfit given to me by an older hunting buddy. It was a Penn Longbeach 67 on a 6.5' wooden handle pole. Oiled her up and cleaned the chrome. Now it is better than new and is part of my Penn collection! Not levelwind, but a 2.5/1 retrieve is not too bad to work it on by hand. It is the "home run pole" in the boat ,'cause it is short and stout. That old hook you got was used for hand grabbing I would bet! Gig is a real "classic" find. Envy !!!!

10. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    wiscars i saw some more of the gigs in an antique store here.i didnt inquire about price but if you interested ill check for you.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey johnnie, I have a bunch of hooks like that. I use anything from whole turkeys, hog legs and small monkeys for bait on them. You should see what i use for poles !!!
    :smile2:

12. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the heads up, but gas has me pretty penned up. When I get some saved up, going to fish is where I spend that money! Headed for the river to feed them some skipjack Sunday . Aug. 1st is new moon and 2 overnight trips are planned too. After that ,the better half will probably rein me back in for awhile. Hope to be fat as a toad from fish and hushpuppies by then. Just have to feel a couple of good runs that test the tackle!:roll_eyes:Wish I could get 1 or 2 hand made gigs tho. Maybe later in the early fall we'll hook up. Check the price if you get the chance Johnnie and where is the store ie. name & address . I may send for them now that I'm feeling the barb under my hide for those "Real Gigs".:embarassed:

13. poisonpits

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mark i checked at the store today and the gigs were priced 12 dollars.the store is called riverside antiques.phone number is 479,394,5767.

14. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds Like a good buy.

15. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Johnnie, Thanks for the prompt response!:wink: I am on it like a duck on a june bug.:smile2: