Fancy Swivels versus Cheap Ones

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by blackburnian, Jul 5, 2007.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I bought some SPRO Power Swivels for use in my catfishing rigs. They are more exspensive than standard barrel swivels like the Laker brand at Wal-mart. Are they worth their price or are they better suited for lure-making? If so, what is the best standard swivel brand and model for catfish rigging?

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use the cheaper swivels get them from catfishconnection think eagle claw makes them never had one break yet.

3. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    What is the cheapest and easiest way to glowstick your big catfish rods, brand and product name. I tried the Wal-mart $2.49 pack and the smaller rod connection was too thin and the other was just thick enough. Catfish Connection has Hi-Tech and Omniglow, but I liked the little rod clips to go with them.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

I use the spro power swivels in a size #2. They cost a little more but IMHO they are worth the extra cost. It has nothing to do with them breaking it is the fact that they will spin freely under a load. The wal-mart swivels may swivel or they may not under pressure but in my experience the spro's will turn freely.

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I totally agree. Cheap Wal-Mart svivels are not much better than just a ring. I have used them and all they are good for is twisting your line. Spro or Sampo is the way to go.

Cheez

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the cheap swivels from catfishconnection.com. They might be Eagle Claw but I'm not really sure. They are gold. The only problem I have with them is after a couple fishing trips, the swivel will get a groove cut into them like the last eye on a fishing rod. I just check it every so often and change it when I need to. I will not buy the expensive ones, I'll just keep checking for the grooves. I have never noticed a problem with my line spinning or not spinning. I usually don't fish heavy current though.

7. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I use the berkley mcmahon swivels. They have worked for me. As many as I go through I couldn't justify buying the really expensive ones

8. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    where do you find your mcmahon swivels and what wieght limit do the different sizes have

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Here ya go Scott, the cheapest and easiest. They come with a connector so you can just make a ring and put it between your line and rod between the last guide and rod tip. Or you can tape them long ways or use a rubber band. These can not be beat. :wink:http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just use black tape and tape genes glow sticks to the end of my rod.start on the rod and work over 1 inch of the stick break of tape go to other end and repeat this keeps your line from tangling on the stick.