Family Trip to New York City, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by thegavel, Jun 24, 2008.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have been to New York a few times, but this time I am looking to take the parents and kid sister (14)

Where would be a safe/clean place/location stay?

Must See attractions?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance brothers and sisters!!!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only advice I have is "DON'T GO" LOL! I ain't but 90 miles from there and haven't been in decades. LOL!

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Ho, Big George! :smile2:

I've lived around forty miles from Washington, D.C. most of my life. People would ask me about the city, what to see and what to do there. I could always honestly say, "Don't ask me, I don't know!"

I can still count on my fingers the times I've crossed the bridges into D.C., and that's with a couple of fingers to spare!

Fact: This country boy was not made for the city, and there ain't nothing in that city that this country boy wants! :wink:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Christopher, gonin' with BG and Joel here. Had a business for 20 years in a Chicago suburb, 20 miles from the loop. Was in that city exactly 3 times in twenty years. Family would come from Iowa and I would refuse to take them in there.

If I want to go anywhere I will come to West Des Moines any day of the week. Got a brother that teaches school there.

I realize this is not the question you asked, but I have to give you this reflection as Joel and BG have. Srry.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Christopher, sorry but I can't help you... it's been 52 years since I was in NYC. :eek:oooh:
    But I wouldn't mind going back to see all the sights. We have thought about a cruise up the Canadian coast that boards at NYC.

Joel, our first time to DC was in 2006. We loved it, was there for 10 days and stayed busy for 10 days and part of the nights seeing something different. We both enjoyed seeing the things and places we had heard of all our life. That is one place I wouldn't mind going back for the Smithsonian Museum of American History was closed while we were there.
    But I would NOT like living there! :big_smile:

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA Thanks for all the ADVICE :eek:oooh:

I didn't pick the location or we would be fishing the river somewhere LOL

When I graduated college I packed up and moved to Wrigleyville Chicago for a year... talk about a rollercoaster lifestyle....

All mom wants to celebrate getting her Masters degree is a vacation to NYC so I thought I would take the family out there....

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Chris, I've only been to NYC once, and that was in 1986. We stayed at the Hotel Edison on 47th Street in Manhattan. It's been there for years, not fancy but clean, and I would assume that's still a decent area to stay in.

www.edisonhotelnyc.com

Seems their prices have gone up quite a bit since then. :smile2:

I was only there a couple of days, but we did the typical sightseeing.....the Empire State Building, St.Patrick's Cathedral, went to FAO Schwarz and Macy's, ate at Mama Leoni's, saw a Broadway play. Central Park was the best part, IMO; maybe 'cause there's some NATURE there. I don't think they'll let you fish from the bridges though. :wink:

No matter what you do, it's gonna be expensive, especially for the whole family. Hopefully someone will come along with some better advice for ya.....but here's one piece. DON'T take a cab from Newark, NJ into Manhattan, costs an arm and a leg. They have shuttles I believe, but we didn't know that at the time.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks, Tanya, for getting us back on track and giving Chris some help! :big_smile:

The way I figure it, asking most of the BOC how to make it in New York City is about like asking us the best way to catch a ba$$! :smile2:

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I had a feeling that someone was going to bring up what Joel did LOL

Ask a bunch of country folk about the city and sit and wait LOL

Thanks for all of the responses though. I think we are going to see about staying somewhere in Times Square...

I think with a trip like this I am expecting to drop a shiny nickel every step I take. It isn't going to be a calm walk on the rivers edge thats for sure!!! :crazy:

10. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    NYC is a wonderful place to VISIT.

Lots of little restaurants where you can buy a decent meal WITHOUT spending as much as you do at the gas stations. Stayed in the Hampton Inn across the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey. Very nice, plus the bus stopped right in front of it. We hopped on the bus and were at the Port Authority in 15 minutes. You can get ANYWHERE from there, for the cost of a subway (Metro) pass.

Have a great time!

Mik:big_smile:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That would be my advice also. I didn't leave anything there worth going back for! LOL

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    dont forget your CHL. kidding
    You will probably enjoy the trip.

.I have no ideal what its like these days. I agree with the rest.
    I only had the chance to visit NYC one time while passing through going overseas. Was there a whole day and it Was enough for me.
    Have fun , stay safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

olefin , the Smithsonian Museum of American History is a must see.
    I was in DC for a few weeks back in the 70's. bout the time Nixon was stepping down. Rode my motorcycle to D.C . LOL. My first stop was right in front of the W.H. They didn't let me park there long. LOL

Saw most the sights and Visited the Smithsonian Museum .
    It is a huge place and it takes more than a couple days to see all the Smithsonian. I think it takes about a week or so if I remember right, I know I was tired of walking. I didn't see everything. But it sure was cool what I did see.

I would like to take my wife to DC some day. Just to see the history again. I'm older now and would take more time in touring it.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Dan, we got to see most of the Smithsonian museums except the American History. I read that it's suppose to reopen this fall. My favorite was the National Air and Space Museum.

All the war memorials and Mount Vernon were awesome. DC is an excellent place to visit.

I hated History in school and didn't start to appreciate it till I've almost become history. :smile2: