Family Tradition

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Hoolygalulith, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well not too long ago I was givin a 1903 springfield from my uncle Ray who recieved it from his uncle Dan (My great uncle) now in his 90's. They aren't able to hunt like they used to now it falls upon me to pile'em up for them. I feel it is a great honor to recive this rifle from two great men and Vets from WW II and Viet Nam They have been great role models and influences in my life. I just wanted to share this and also would like to hear some stories on hand me down weapons.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    as formyself i bought a 270 savage model 110 bolt about 12 yr's ago . 270 is my favorite cal- bought brand new i used every yr for hunt'n deer , coyotes
    elk. my oldest boy now 17 was only 5 then i always took him with me either i was hunt'n big game or birds . so i took him to get his hunter safety when he turned 8, he did all the small game hunt'n enjoyed and asked me when he could hunt deer i replied to him not til you turn 12 . he told me that's a long time dad . so when he got a lil older i asked him if he wanted to start practiceing with the 270 he told me yes , i think he was about 10 when this happened . so i started take'n him plink'n to get the feel of the rifle, recoil etc-he was doin pretty good .so when he turned 11 i sent his buck tag off
    for the up comeing yr because he would be 12 before biggame started . when that day came around ( opening day ) i handed him my 270 all cleaned up new scope box of shells , and told him take care of my baby and she will take care of you , his eyes filled with tears of joy e could'nt even speak he just gave me a big ol' hugg . now when i want to shoot the 270 i have to ask him LMAO everytime . and now sence he got older he want's dads 338 to boot !!!

3. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    My dad's big brother(my uncle) bought it new,my dad bought it iff him and was Hhs first shotgun.Dad gave it to me about 6 years ago.Its my first gun .I told him I would kill my first deer with it.I've taken coyote,rabbit,squirrel,and as of last year a deer with it.I love that old shotgun it is deadly accurate,and the adjustable choke is great for varment hunting.Now that I got my first deer with it ,I'll be hunting with my new 30-06 this year.One day though my son (he's 5 now)will harvest his first deer with that gun.I don't plan on hunting with any other shotgun untill I pass it on.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    dad finally passed onto me his model 336 marlin firearms 30-30 to me. the rifle i got my first deer with. made me wet a eye to take it. i just don't have anyone to pass on to. my sons don't hunt. not that they don't believe in it, but city folk now. darn it.
    gary

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When my grandpa died, I inherited 2 shotguns. One is an early 1900s Stevens side by side double barrel 12 guage. The other, I honestly haven't a clue what it is. It's a late 1800s 12 guage, that will accept 3" mag. It's a short gun, and looks to be hand manufactured mostly. The machine work is very rough. I would really like to know what it is. If there's anyone who knows about antique shotguns, I'll get better quality photos so we can try to figure out what it is. The only markings on it are CA###. Can't remember the #s off hand. It will not eject plastic casings. I only shot it to make sure that it is functional. The Stevens is an excellent dove/trap gun. I don't feel bad shooting it at all.

Here's some pics. They didn't turn out well. The Stevens has a bird dog engraving on the reciever.

Attached Files:

6. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    some shotguns pre 20th century were made by damascus twist which is where they took seperate strips of steel and wrapped them around a rod then welding them together. mainly used in black powder guns and cartridged weapons modern powder explodes faster which could cause the barrel to untwist so be careful.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It looks like an old Harrington Richardson to me but it's hard to see.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hear ya, and I am aware of that. I fired the gun twice with #8 2-3/4" ammo, just to make sure it was functional. I don't plan on firing it again. Maybe it wasn't the smartest move, but hey, I was curious, now I'm not. I still plan on taking better pics, but haven't had time yet.

I don't fear the Stevens. It's in great shape, tight action, and not damascus steel, and ejects properly.

Thanx for the heads up.

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    As for having inherited guns, it's a sore subject for me right now. When my grandpa died, he left me alot of guns, one being a mint Belguim Browning sweet 16. The gun is absolutely flawless. My great grandpa bought in new in 1954. Back in July, I was stopped by a county cop, and I had the gun with me. He ran the serial number on it and it came back stolen. I argued with him for awhile, saying that I had the original notarized will, with the serial numbers on it belonging to my grandfather who died in 1994. He told me he didn't care and that I was lying to him and he took me to jail for felony possession of a stolen firearm. So, I get out, call my lawyer, and we call down to the sherriff's office. Come to find out, the officer ran the serial number wrong. He forgot to put the letter "s" in front of the number, as it appears on the reciever of the gun. They admitted it was their fault, but they said the gun now belongs to the county and I can't have it back. I think somebody there wanted that gun, and I doubt that it is even there for me to get back.:angry:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gary, I think I'd be going back to my lawyer.

My dad gave me his Winchester Model 94 30-30 before he died. He bought it in 1950.
    I would rather had his Winchester Model 97 12 ga, he bought that one around 1900 but my bud got it. Also inherited a S&W 38 break open pistol that was manufactured sometimes [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]between 1895-1909.[/FONT]

My wife got her dads Remington Model 1100 auto 12 ga.

Attached Files:

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I had my daddys and granddaddys guns till someone broke into my house and stole them all but one.All I have left is one shotgun daddy bought in 1952 so I guess it starts over with me and now I'm trying to rig it so my son and grandsons won't be fighting over my guns when I'm gone.

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I was only 6 when my grandfather died in 1981, but he left me his guns. Among them is a Mossberg .22 from the 40's, An old Winchester pump .22, a 1966 Remington 150th anniversary limited edition .22 semi auto that I still hunt with. The oldest guns are double barrel 12 gauge. My great granfather bought one new and left to my granfather, who was a realtor in the 50's, One day he was cleaning out a house to put up for sale and someone had left an old double barrel over the mantle. Turns out it was the same as his other gun, made the same day in 1908 with serial numbers 127 apart.
    Chip

13. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    My grandfather died 6 yrs.ago and left me the only gun he owned,a Remington targetmaster .22

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The only guns that I inherited was a single barrel H&R 12 gauge and the H&R20 gauge single barrel shotgun that my father committed suicide with when I was 13.One of the hardest things that I ever did was go hunting with it.It was something that I had to face if I was ever going to touch a gun again.I faced it and put it away.Never used it again.Still have it.That was the way my father taught me to face the hard things in life.I passed my SS All Weather Ruger 77/mark 11 in 270 Winchester to my grandson.He recently took his first deer with his first hunting shot with it.I gave my Winchester Model 70 Classic sportsman in 7 mm Remington mag.to my son (his father).Now if my grandson can just teach his father how it is done!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    It's a late 1800s 12 guage, that will accept 3" mag. It's a short gun, and looks to be hand manufactured mostly. The machine work is very rough. I would really like to know what it is. If there's anyone who knows about antique shotguns, I'll get better quality photos so we can try to figure out what it is. The only markings on it are CA###. Can't remember the #s off hand. It will not eject plastic casings. I only shot it to make sure that it is functional. The Stevens is an excellent dove/trap gun. I don't feel bad shooting it at all.

Here's some pics. They didn't turn out well. The Stevens has a bird dog engraving on the reciever.[/QUOTE]

i have a 20guage from early 1900s that looks similar. after digging deep i found it was made by iver johnson. they made many "hardware guns" that had many names.