Family Jerkey recipe

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by switchback, Sep 19, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is the exact recipe for 1.5 pounds of deer or beef to make jerkey the way me and most everybody i know likes it.

1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/3 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 cup soy sauce or teriyaki sauce if you want i like soy sauce better
    1/4 cup worchestershire sauce

I weigh the meat and put it in gallon ice cream buckets or clean five gallon buckets (depending on how much we make at time) and pour this mixture over it and stir or mix it around several times over twenty four hours. Then place in dehydrater and rotate as needed till done. of coarse when i do a five gallon bucket i multiply my measurements to do six pounds at a wack to make things easier

the longer you let it soak the stronger the flavor, if you do a five gallon bucket and have a small dehydrater the last of it will be reall strong.

another one we like is to leave out the dry spices and add 1 pack of taco seasoning this only works well with soy sauce recipe not teriyaki

Also we take one family size bottle of country bobs steak sauce to 1.5 pounds of meat and its different but its good too

enjoy

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Thanks, I got'a get me a dehydrater, the wife gets hard to live with when I tie up her stove all day try'n to make jerkey.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i use a simalar recipe cept i add a little wine usually elderberry wine if i have it and it's awsome.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have the Excalibur Dehydrator - 9 Tray that I picked up at an estate auction for 40.00 bucks and it is awesome . Tkes around 6 hours to make 9 pounds of jerky .

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    thanks for the recipe Nathan! I need to invest in a Dehydrator and make some jerky . I have alot of deer burger from last years harvest. Sounds really good to me!!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats very close to the recipe I've been using for 30 years ,Nathan. I gotta get a new dehydrator this yr ,my old one died last fall,I'm looking to get some screens to use in my smoker this year,so I can make more and not take up counter space in the wifes kitchen:wink:

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know all about the counter space problem but my wife loves the stuff and doesnt really care as long as she gets some of the finished product.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah mark i rarely go a year with out making at least one whole deer into jerky except the loins of coarse. Thats one kind of jerky i just never could take a liking to is the burger jerky, i dont know why but the thin sliced is my favorite.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That recipe sounds good. Ill have to try it. The last 2 years Ive been using nesco original recipe. I buy it at Wally World. It pre packaged in 1 lb packs and 1 box does 6 lbs. It has a really good taste to it. I also have a sweet and sour recipe thats pretty good. Ill try to find it and post it here.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like a good recipe. Will have to try it.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds good. I got to buy another dehydrator myself. When i use the oven i turn it down as low as it'll run and prop the door open with a knife. Put in at bed time and it's ready in the morning usually. This bunch eats it like a swarm of locust.:confused2:

12. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey i hear that its a good thing that i bought extra trays with my dehydrater or else i couldnt keep up. Theres peoplea round here that say they dont like deer that if its going will come in and take some off the trays when its still warm, Oh well i guess thats why i make so much of it each year. Hope you guys like it as much as we do

13. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Thats about the same recipe i use and i agree it is good. I have done a couple different things also add crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick and i have added bbq sause to it for a sweet and spicy kick. Have a great season everyone

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I found this in a magazine last year and tried it out it.

2lbs. venison sliced 1/4 in thick (also works for beef )
    1/2 c. canned pineapple juice
    1/2 c. wine vinegar
    1/4 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. brown sugar
    3 tsp.lemon pepper
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1 tsp.onion power
    1 tsp.garlic powder

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in a seperate bowl; add to dry ingredients and stir well. Add meat strips and marinate 10 to 12 hrs. Remove meat from marinate, place on racks and let drip-dry. Place rack in oven or dehydrator. Dry until pliable.

15. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sorry. I forgot to tell you all what it was. That recipe is called sweet and sour.

16. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds good i will give it a try this fall