False shad run

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Gomer, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    The shad are NOT RUNNING in the tailrace

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gomer, as I noted in an earlier post somewhere, the shad that come up this early are usually males and scattered. It is just enough to get everyone's blood pumping, but the best activity is a couple of weeks or more away yet. I was up there on Thursday netting sturgeon and I saw very few fish caught. There were about 40+ boats trying really hard though. :lol:

3. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks Tom: Because out of 12 boats in 5 hrs I only saw 2 fish caught and both were caught by 2 boats about the same time. I tryed 1/6,1/8,1/4 oz with curly and flat tails, green,yellow,white,chartruce,red and fish colored shaddarts. Like I told the guys sunday this was the first time I've tryed shading. Looked like I picked the wrong day ! :confused2:

Please let me know when the shad start there true run, I'd like to have some bait for the summer. :wink:

I talked to the manager of ANGLERS by the tailrace Sunday the store looked nicely stocked one wall was covered in spiners and grubs of all sizes by what I could see with a good bite of assorted rods. She said they were going to try and open some time this week. I soon as I hear or see something I'll post it so we'll have a place to get live bait on this end of the lake again. :smile2:

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I just got back from shad fishin. I caught 4 huge herring and 3shad in three hours. charteuse 1/8 w splitshot a foot up.Saw a guy catch about a 10lb gar. Im gonna try the herring at GCR this evenin "4days off!"

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The shad are here pretty good now; herring aren't in huge number yet, but should be anytime now. One of the fellas I talked with today at work caught 24 yesterday, total. He used several different colors. Lots of boats were at the tailrace today, didn't get to watch and see what they were doing as far as luck goes.

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Don't forget about the shad run on the Pee Dee-they'll run to the dam at Rockingham(Blewitt)We catch them on red/white tube jigs or white/green shad darts.We snag some every now & then at Cheraw.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah Jimmy they are headed your way right now. We catch them in the river just like at the tailrace especially in Jefferies creek. We use a green mister twister. I usually come up there in april and camp out on the river @ blewitts dam I let u know if I make it there this year.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Do y'all eat the shad or catch and release them?

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dont eat the fish bait.LOL I catch and release them I only like the gizzard and hickory shad for bait. Alot of people do eat them but as long as there are catfish I will stick to them.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I like to eat a couple of meals each year of the American shad, and I love those roe, wrapped in bacon, seasoned with salt & pepper, and baked in the oven, :tounge_out:
    The males and hickorys go for bait.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to aroowhead yestersday and the water was up super high so we went to the tailrace and fished for a couple of hours in the rat race and cught 4 big roe and lost a couple more. The wifes had fun reeling them in.

12. stuckinthehole3

stuckinthehole3 New Member

State:
    SC
    where is the store called ANGLERS that Gomer was talking about in an earlier post located?

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In Monks Corner as soon as you cross the tailrace canal on the right.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    NOTE: Angler's is no more. They sold out to Kangaroo Express and closed out the sporting goods departments. I have been told that the one in Moncks Corner will open soon under lease management, though. Don't know for sure. There is a Walmart at the first traffic light there, and they have a lot of lures for shad, too.