Falls tomorrow...?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatter, Mar 21, 2009.

1. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anybody know if the falls will be fishable tomorrow morning? Ive just recently been looking at the water levels on the NOAA site so I'm not sure which water levels mean what. Im hoping to go out there and get some sauger and cats.

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fish are there year around. Sauger are running there now.Water levels have been up and down alot.When you look at the level sight you will see winter pool , summer pool , flood range upper and lower , 24 hour change should also show up it will give you and ideal what to expect.To me the river is never to high or low to fish they still have to feed reguardless but they will be doing there feeding at different places according to the flow level of the river.When it's running high i like to find back water just off the main current.Current breaks like rocks , logs, feeder creeks etc...
    Anyplace the baitfish can get out of the heavy current.When the river is low i try to find current. Dams , water inlets from business that draw water in and release it back into the river.Ever heard of the barge bite.lol It's just my opinion but fish seem to bite when the river is low and one of those big barges stirs up the water as it goes by.Fish like current but not so much that they have to fight it. Good lord i could go on and on guess i need to shutup. :eek:oooh:

3. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    haha thanks for the info man. we went out there at about 11am and fished for about an hour... not a single bite. we were fishin some backwater out of the current probably a couple hundred yards away from the falls. the curent was CRAZY strong. but yea the water was high so maybe thats why we didnt get any bites.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The barge bite is REAL ! Seen the same thing on the Cumberland river . Anyhow you got out for a while and got some fresh air . Can't catch them at the house !

5. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    maybe im just missing something.... but, i always assumed it was some kind of current produced by the barge that pulls my line when they drive by haha. but yes it felt great to get out and hang by the water. i just dont know what the deal is... ive been doing GREAT bass fishing this year but cant seem to catch any cats!