Falls of the Ohio

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by jlawson435, Jun 17, 2009.

1. jlawson435

jlawson435 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone been done there lately? I am wanting to go but everytime I have driven down there all the gate have been open. I keep waiting to hear some of the gate are closed so the current isn't so bad. Last week the current was so bad I didn't even try.

2. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Just got word that the Skippies are running at the falls. Be sure to take an extra Sabiki rig! The rocks have no mercy!

3. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Can they be caught from the bank or do you need to be on a boat??

I do have a Sabiki rig to throw

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Went to the falls the last 2 days fishing from the bank,with my Bro-and only caught 9 in 5-6hrs of casting.:sad2:. Some were out on boats as well.catching them.. I heard they are packed in there sometimes.:cool2:

We was about to leave and acouple guys showed up to try their luck and I ask one of them if they ever heard of Catfish1.com and DULikeDEW said yep, sure do and raised his sleeve up and he had a tatoo of the bluecat(thats on the shirt and hats) on his shoulder. Nice looking at that..:wink:

We talked a little and I told who I was and he just smiled and said something about the KY.Rod I built. about that time the rain was drizzeling and skys were getting darker and my bro was done gone for the truck, so I had to get out of there.:eek:oooh:.The nexy time I hope we get to stay and fish for awhile for them cats.:wink:

.He backpacked his rods down..Nice idea...Nice meeting you too!.
    Be safe on the rocks bro.( slicker than a gut):crazy:

Kenny

5. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Are these skipjack usually caught in the moving water or in the still water??
    I know this is a silly question but I have no experience in catching this bait!! (my Sabiki rigs have never seen the water yet)

Thanks for any advice

Adam

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    BRO!! There ain't no still water :smile2::smile2::smile2: (unless they shut the locks down) All you have to do is cast out and retrieve at a medium pace, I also got a coule just in front of me moveing the rod back and forth watching the first 2 jigs dance in the water. Good Luck:wink:

Watch out for the rocks!! Slippery when wet is a understatment!! You'll get hurt quick..:eek:oooh:

Kenny

7. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky

8. CatCannon23

CatCannon23 New Member

State:
    kenutcky
    what are skippies? and do u use them for catfish bait or what not real familiar with skippies?

9. jlawson435

jlawson435 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished the Falls this morning. Water high and muddy and flowing fast. Just threw some plugs today no catfishing. Caught 3 stripers not big but was only there about hour.

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Fished the falls today 10 am to 5 pm. The water is low and the gates are almost closed. Caught lots of fish on jigs. Stripers, Sauger, and Hybrids. Caught a few Skippies on sabiki, and shad in a throw net. Moved down river a little and caught a couple of blue cats, one over 20lb. The fishing is kind of slow but if you spend some time, its worthwhile.

11. kvonn0001

kvonn0001 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2:Thanks Skipjack,
    I fish there a lot, usually at the big eddy, just around the corner from the big rock point. I've done well with sauger using a quarter ounce white jighead tipped with a minnow or a white twistytail. For cats I've had more luck with chicken liver than anything.
    What kind of jig were you using?And what bait for the blue cats?
    Fishing may be good again today if the gates are open just a little.
    When they are all closed, and there is no current at all, I haven't had much luck.

12. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went over to the Falls for a few hours last night after work just to kill a couple of hours. I took shrimp,frozen shad, 1 pole and my tackle with me. The gates were only open a bit so just a little bit of current to deal with (not bad at all)

I ended up using skipjack on the bottom for bait. (someone else caught and gave to me) I was either using to much bait or not a big enough hook, because I had 2 very nice runs on it that I ended up missing:sad2:
    All in all it was a fun first trip over there for me even though I missed both those fish!! I may go again today if I can get out

I did see 1 game warden down there but I was never checked

Good Luck and Welcome 2 The BOC!!

Adam

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    whens the next time you guys planning on going over there to do some fishing?

usually at the big eddy, just around the corner from the big rock point. =Here is where we usaly catch the skips too.

Haven't done any catfishing there yet, but would like to meet a few of you guys over there and do some fishing one day for sure before this years out. If you ever see a 90 ford f150 blue/white or 84 Chvy faded red with racks and creative construction on the sides I'm down there somewhere.:wink:

Looking forward to meeting some of you one day. until then Bros Tight lines to ya.:big_smile:
    Kenny.